2014-15 Rangers Defensemen

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Also true. However, I think that Staal has showed that he is worth it

this is gonna play out like the callahan drama.

one one hand, we have...

loyalty
home grown kid
warrior
letter wearer
past #1/2 guy
"core" type player

however...

eye
concussion
play in decline
not a kid anymore
offense non existent
handles puck like a live grenade

and then this.....

he will command a top end contract with term.

and so this....

can we afford him ??? and can we afford to pay him when he is trending downward ?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
this is gonna play out like the callahan drama.

one one hand, we have...

loyalty
home grown kid
warrior
letter wearer
past #1/2 guy
"core" type player

however...

eye
concussion
play in decline
not a kid anymore
offense non existent
handles puck like a live grenade

and then this.....

he will command a top end contract with term.

and so this....

can we afford him ??? and can we afford to pay him when he is trending downward ?

So we trade him and 2 firsts for Chara?

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
TOI from tonight

Girardi 20:27
Staal 19:40
Boyle 19:14
Klein 17:14
Hunwick 16:43
J. Moore 14:59

So by having Boyle in the lineup we've cut Girardi and Staal's time by 3-4 minutes while Klein and Hunwick stay about the same. Moore played 24:38 against the Avs but has levelled off since then.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Moore got less time than Hunwick, and Hunwick didn't get powerplay time.

Hm.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I don't know about you guys, but at this point I wouldn't mind at all trading Staal and keeping Hunwick as the 6th D-man. Despite his careless penalty tonight, I think he's been a pretty solid 3rd pairing guy, arguably better than Moore.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't know about you guys, but at this point I wouldn't mind at all trading Staal and keeping Hunwick as the 6th D-man. Despite his careless penalty tonight, I think he's been a pretty solid 3rd pairing guy, arguably better than Moore.

That doesn't address a 2nd pair defenseman that we would be trading

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Dan Boyle looked absolutely phenomenal tonight, especially on the power play. Hopefully, he can stay healthy the rest of the year. He will be even better once his hand returns to 100% allowing his shot to improve.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012

Strongly disagree with the first part. Especially so if you don't have a replacement. If the Rangers were going to get rid of Staal then it made no sense to let Stralman walk. Can't lose both of those guys.

Agree with the second part; though obviously want to see more than the sample we have of him so far. Has been a pleasant surprise.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Strongly disagree with the first part. Especially so if you don't have a replacement. If the Rangers were going to get rid of Staal then it made no sense to let Stralman walk. Can't lose both of those guys.

Agree with the second part; though obviously want to see more than the sample we have of him so far. Has been a pleasant surprise.

That's why you trade him for a replacement that is a mobile two-way defender and fits AVs system better

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York

Yeah, there is really no one to take Staal's place ATM so it looks to me like he's here for the rest of the season. However, if money becomes a sticking point and Sather pulls another Magoo we could be out Stralman AND Staal with no solid replacement for either of them. Very interesting off-season coming up.

Hunwick I can't see replacing Staal but he can certainly take the place of J. Moore. Not that Moore has been bad but the two guys look about the same to me, Hunwick arguably better O player.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i have to laugh.

each and every game has its goat on defense and like clockwork, the goat of the game is inevitably traded away the next day on this site. its really funny.

the defense last night shut out its opponent. if not for their tender playing out of his mind, we win 4 zip easy. granted phily isnt strong but really, neither was toronto- who looks like an average ncaa div 3 team right now and edmonton, who hasnt won in 3 games. they both beat us recently. remember.

the defense played well last night, contributing a goal and playing an efficient game. shutouts are not easy and this defense accomplished that mission with our #2 minder in net.

no, moore isnt going to be traded. hes a 6 guy on a pretty decent defensive team. hes paid dirt and he needs to play better. period. no hunwick isnt a bum, hes a good skating, smart player who makes a good first pass and plays well enough defensively. hes prone to mistakes but the entire d has its moments. even mcdonagh played like ass most of this season until he got hurt.

one of moore or hunwick will sit when mcd returns. right now, its unclear who will sit.

were in a good place right now defensively, with 7 guys who can all play. were giving up a tad more than 3 gpg. not terrible. relax and stop trying to find another stralman.

scoring goals is our biggest concern right now, tied for 7th in the conference with 52 goals in 19 games wont cut it. with our top 9, we need to be more efficient offensively to win.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Moore got less time than Hunwick, and Hunwick didn't get powerplay time.

Hm.

And the team pitched a shutout worth the back up.

It's funny, Moore was out there against Duchene, and skated well with him to keep up. Hard to do since Matt Duchene is one of the best skaters in the league, but Moore didn't D up on him physically and Duchene had a multi-point night.

In the Tampa game, JMoore misplays his lane... Really a basic lesson that most good D know to protect the. Middle of the ice in the neutral zone.

MSL gets stopped, Kucherov has a fast lane for a breakaway.

Kucherov saw the hole and jumped it. JMOORE was a good 40 feet wide of where he should have been.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
For the record, I think hunwick gave his best when the team was shorthanded on D, and has fallen off since the previous weekend.

Don't think he's better than Moore, but if he's making less mistakes, then he deserves to be in the line up.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
All things remaining equal until MCD comes back, Hunwick sits. I don't think there's any controversy (except here).

Hunwick has played much better than anyone thought he would and John Moore hasn't grown at all in his time here. I can't see Moore getting much better than he is and Hunwick has been more reliable defensively even with his occasional wtf games. Hunwick playing more limited minutes when McD comes back will probably limit some of his mistakes. There should absolutely be a controversy and competition with Hunwick and Moore.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Hunwick has played much better than anyone thought he would and John Moore hasn't grown at all in his time here. I can't see Moore getting much better than he is and Hunwick has been more reliable defensively even with his occasional wtf games. Hunwick playing more limited minutes when McD comes back will probably limit some of his mistakes. There should absolutely be a controversy and competition with Hunwick and Moore.

We'll see.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

It should be feasible, but I think hunwick having good games isn't enough after his wtf games. One is enough, this dude had a bad week.

JMoore IMO is unreliable, not a mistake free type of player, and one that is also a viable trade chip.

If hunwick can hold up, and the org feels Allen can step up, then my hopes are that the Rangers get a good reliable 3rd line center using Moore.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

John Moore hasn't improved and he's still a better player than Matt Hunwick. Hunwick hasn't impressed me in a while. He's a pretty typical 7th D. Very good for a limited amount of time. Levels off to someone you immediately replace once you're healthy.

Moore might make mistakes from time to time, but he is definitely a good 3rd pair defenseman. His job is to take on weaker competition so the top 4 can focus on the tougher competition. It's about efficiency. That's the job Moore is doing when this team is healthy. He's better at it than Hunwick.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
John Moore hasn't improved and he's still a better player than Matt Hunwick. Hunwick hasn't impressed me in a while. He's a pretty typical 7th D. Very good for a limited amount of time. Levels off to someone you immediately replace once you're healthy.

Moore might make mistakes from time to time, but he is definitely a good 3rd pair defenseman. His job is to take on weaker competition so the top 4 can focus on the tougher competition. It's about efficiency. That's the job Moore is doing when this team is healthy. He's better at it than Hunwick.

im a JM fan. i like his skating and his other skills amndf i like his affordable 3rd pair minutes he provides. he play a team high 24 mins the other night. team high of all players not just dmen. hes capable. i think hes a guy you show patience with and hope he earns more time with improved overall play. theres alot more moore there... :nod:

he is pretty dumb sometimes and does seem to fight some natural intuitiveness. thats a concern but not that big of a deal if he continues to improve. he needs to play more games and gain experience.

i think the suspension hurt him and his aggressiveness. hes more cautious now and i think playing tentative and stiff. he looks afraid to screw up and thats never a good way to approach the game.

he gets an undue amount of trash here. the entire defense makes bonehead plays consistently. even mvd played like garbage to start his season. hes not different than staal or girardi.

i do like the way hunwick plays. good skater and smart player. to me, hes playing a better smarter game than JM the last few games. i especially like hoe hunwick makes smart passes to start rushes.

moore is lacking confidence right now more than anything. his game shows it. he needs to relax and go back to skating with the puck and getting involved offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad