2014-15 Rangers Defensemen

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Please talk about Rangers defensemen here. Please note our updated policy on player discussion.

In order to stop the creation of endless threads and pages of irrelevant discussion, we will be adjusting our player discussion policy to coincide with the beginning of the 2014-15 regular season. Threads will be created for very general discussion by position (forwards, defense, goaltending, coaching), but separate threads will be kept for trade/roster speculation, injury discussion (properly tagged), and milestone achievements. Player discussion as a whole will be more strictly moderated than it has been in the past in order to avoid nuisance topics or threads for each individual member of the team, but all previous discussions will still be searchable.

Of course, any and all additional feedback is welcome in PM or email form.

Thanks.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I was out of the country the first few pre-season games. What happened to McIlrath?

He looks to me like a player who's really close, but still not ready to take that next step. Can't shake the feeling that he will be a midseason call up and stick at that point.

He had a good camp, but didn't blow anyone away. One of the preseason games he got an instigator he didn't really deserve.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I was out of the country the first few pre-season games. What happened to McIlrath?

He was one of the final cuts but he only played two pre-season games. The last two games was pretty much a battle between Hunwick, Kostka and Kampfer. McIlrath was still around--Allen had already been sent down--but he didn't play.

To me there was quite a bit of improvement from what we saw with the Rangers last year. Dylan wasn't handling the puck like it was a hand grenade. He made good--albeit safe plays to his partner and to other outlets. He seemed much more comfortable on the ice in general. Not running around--not throwing the puck away. He had some problems hitting opponents where he didn't have leverage and he'd go down. Part of it IMO is not getting the right angles and not hitting them square. IMO he could use a little more work on his skating but IMO he's almost at the point where he could justifiably take a job.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Last year he was nervously holding on, this year he was comfortably holding on. First game was against an AHL team and he didn't make any mistakes. He still hits the ice alot, although once was coming over to Haggerty after a goal, dude just fell. He still doesn't have balance needed for a guy that big throwing his weight around. Hopefully more time and some callup duty might give him the experience he'll need.

Beuk has to show him that being a big guy with a wingspan like that could round out his game. He needs a bit of Marc Staal in him, use that reach instead of trying to pound the guy everytime. Hits are great, but pick your spots kid, all the great ones do.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Last year he was nervously holding on, this year he was comfortably holding on. First game was against an AHL team and he didn't make any mistakes. He still hits the ice alot, although once was coming over to Haggerty after a goal, dude just fell. He still doesn't have balance needed for a guy that big throwing his weight around. Hopefully more time and some callup duty might give him the experience he'll need.

Beuk has to show him that being a big guy with a wingspan like that could round out his game. He needs a bit of Marc Staal in him, use that reach instead of trying to pound the guy everytime. Hits are great, but pick your spots kid, all the great ones do.

A fair assessment. He was noticeably better than last year. Maybe his knee was still bugging him in last year's training camp. He does look for the hit a bit too much--not letting the hit come to him. A lot of times the hittee sees it coming and he winds up on his ass instead. As I mentioned a lot of his hits he didn't get the guy square. Chris Kreider had a problem with that as well.

None of Hunwick, Kostka and Kampfer really shone. Hunwick was the best candidate all in all for the 7th defense spot. To me Kostka looked horrid at times--actually I'd say he played about as well as McIlrath--add in a little offense and subtract a lot of physical play. I thought Allen played pretty well in his games but apparently he had a mediocre camp altogether and he was the first of them all on the train to Hartford.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'll just add to some thoughts from the others:

He looked better than last year. His balance is still a work in progress but it has improved. His first game he was too tentative/over-zealous at different times. It was like an inner battle, too aggressive, not aggressive enough. The 2nd game you could see him picking his head up looking to make a play. He had a good rush up the ice where he showed his straight ahead speed which is even better than what I remember.

I saw him running around a little bit too much, although was that because he was paired with John Moore who he has never played with and there was a lack of communication? Unknown.

IMO, and this is nothing new, he needs to keep his game simple in order to be effective. I think that his improvement from game 1 to game 2 was impressive as he got more comfortable. I wish he had gotten in a 3rd game to see how much more comfortable he would have gotten.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He looks to me like a player who's really close, but still not ready to take that next step. Can't shake the feeling that he will be a midseason call up and stick at that point.

He had a good camp, but didn't blow anyone away. One of the preseason games he got an instigator he didn't really deserve.

$64,000 question. Does he have the skating ability to be an NHL regular?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Rating our defensemen on a (#/A-C) system:

McDonagh (1A) - Girardi (2A)
Staal (2A) - Boyle (3B)
J. Moore (6A) - Klein (4C)

Hunwick (6B) - Kostka (8A)
Allen (7B) - McIlrath (8B)

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There was a little too much "I'm going to make the team by being tough as hell" going on with McIlrath in preseason. Once he calmed down, he looked much better. I think he'll eventually stick at some point this year.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Hunwick and Moore on the same pairing is as bad as we expected them to be. Except for Moore having a little more muscle, they are pretty much the same guy.

God skaters who can't handle the puck or play defense.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Rating our defensemen on a (#/A-C) system:

McDonagh (1A) - Girardi (2A)
Staal (2A) - Boyle (3B)
J. Moore (6A) - Klein (4C)

Hunwick (6B) - Kostka (8A)
Allen (7B) - McIlrath (8B)

These were my ratings in the offseason, and they haven't changed one bit based on a minuscule 3-game sample:

McDonagh (1A) - Girardi (4B)
Staal (2C) - Boyle (5A)
J. Moore (6C) - Klein (5C)

Hunwick (6B)-Kostka(7B)

Very stupid of the team to let Strålman (2A) walk. Hedman-Strålman will be a top-3 pairing in the league this season.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
These were my ratings in the offseason, and they haven't changed one bit based on a minuscule 3-game sample:

Staal (2C) - Boyle (5A)

Hunwick (6B)-Kostka(7B)

Very stupid of the team to let Strålman (2A) walk. Hedman-Strålman will be a top-3 pairing in the league this season.

Stralman or Staal. The Rangers chose Staal. Couldn't have kept both.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Staal (2C) - Boyle (5A)

Hunwick (6B)-Kostka(7B)

Ill hold you to that.

Stralman is one of the most overrated players in the league at this point

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Stralman or Staal. The Rangers chose Staal. Couldn't have kept both.

They absolutely could have, as they could've traded Girardi or let him walk - which would've been preferable. They could also have extended Strålman in December/January for ~$3.5M AAV.

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Ill hold you to that.

Stralman is one of the most overrated players in the league at this point

I have no problem with that.

I'm not saying Strålman is a top-3 defenceman in the league. But Hedman is approaching top-5, and Strålman is an excellent complement to him.

Muzzin-Doughty and Keith-Seabrook are likely going to be #1 and #2, but I think the Tampa pair has a good chance of being #3.

Aaand I just realized I forgot about Chara-Hamilton and Vlasic-Burns, so top-3 might be difficult but I don't think they will be far off. I may have overreached a bit, but I will still stand for it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I'm not saying Strålman is a top-3 defenceman in the league. But Hedman is approaching top-5, and Strålman is an excellent complement to him.

Muzzin-Doughty and Keith-Seabrook are likely going to be #1 and #2, but I think the Tampa pair has a good chance of being #3.

Aaand I just realized I forgot about Chara-Hamilton and Vlasic-Burns, so top-3 might be difficult but I don't think they will be far off. I may have overreached a bit, but I will still stand for it.

I'd put Stralman 1B by your rankings. It was dumb to use that cap hit to sign Boyle when Stralman signed at same cap hit.

I think Hedman-(pylon) was top 10 last year. Put an elite possession defender like Stralman and it's easily top 5, pushing top 3.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I think Hedman still has a ways to go before he is a top 5 defenseman.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
...Whaaat? Am I the only one that would take McDonagh-Girardi over Hedman-Stralman? And since when did Hedman become a top-5 d-man?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Hedman is all of 23 yrs old and showing at the very least he can keep up with the top players at his position.

Zman Chara had 9 points and was a -27 at the same age ;)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
There was a little too much "I'm going to make the team by being tough as hell" going on with McIlrath in preseason. Once he calmed down, he looked much better. I think he'll eventually stick at some point this year.

Yeah absolutely agree, perhaps sooner rather than later. The group think trend on the board has been to bash the crap out of the first rounders here recently, but you're one of the few that's got it down objectively.

McIlrath's last game in particular, he looked very comfortable. Its all about decisiveness with him now, a matter of confidence and doing rather than thinking and reacting.

They absolutely could have, as they could've traded Girardi or let him walk - which would've been preferable. They could also have extended Strålman in December/January for ~$3.5M AAV.

Sather is an anti-early-extension guy. If he extended guys early, Girardi could be at a lower cap hit, Stralman at a nice comfortable $3.5 with term, Zuccarello not facing UFA status and so forth. It's poor asset management, and all it does is close the window faster.

Hedman is all of 23 yrs old and showing at the very least he can keep up with the top players at his position.

Zman Chara had 9 points and was a -27 at the same age ;)

Hedman is somewhat underrated now, but when defenseman are that big, and built and can skate and handle the puck, they are very effective on the backend by just how much ice they cover, and their size and strength in getting shots off creates a lot of second chance opportunities.

As soon as Hedman filled out his frame last year, he just became an absolute beast.

So far he's the only one out of the recent hyped up Swedish defensemen to fulfill his potential.

The Skelleftea trio of Larrson, Rundblad, and Erixon have been really underwhelming. Goes to show just how much physical maturity matters in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad