Pre-Game Talk: 2014-15 Playoffs - SCF: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Chicago Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
You know what is funny, two seasons ago, the year the hawks would go on to win their 2nd stanley cup they faced DET in the 1st round and that series went to game 7 and the hawks only won because of a goal scored on a fluke bounce of Kronwalls skate yet somehow us beating DET in game 7 with a shutout isn’t as impressive of an accomplishment when we did it this season, only two season later…

Didn't happen in the BEST conference

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I hope I'm wrong, but I predict Chicago in 4.

I'm concerned the Lightning will be one of the many awestruck teams who make it to the finals for the first time.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
XC's Take

Offense – Offense
I think Tampa’s top 6 is ever so slightly better than Chicago but manly due to the TKO line success vs. everyone especially those who have said they will shut them down. Stamkos started out slow but has picked it up and Killorn is underrated in his abilities.
Chicago is obviously no push overs and I think their bottom six is better than Tampa’s but again ever so slightly. Tampa bottom six has not been very productive so far but are very capable of it.
Wash 8/10 – 8/10

Offense – Defence
Hawks are better in this aspect but while Tampa’s bottom six don’t put up points they are good at stopping other teams from doing so. Callahan is very good defensively but no Towes.
Edge Hawks by an 8/10 to 7/10 overall score

Defence – Defence
Again Hawks top 2 and 4 are better than Tampa but Tampa is not that far behind. I would not say the difference is negligible it is apparent but Tampa is still very solid at defence (Except Matt Carle turnovers). Hawks have been playing mostly 4 guys very effectively where Tampa when using 7 is perfect so far in the playoffs.

Defence – Offense
Keith has been beasting so far and Seabrook has been playing great in his own right Hedman has been a force for Tampa but Keith having more points than all of Tampa’s D combined gives the Hawks the edge here too.
Edge Hawks by an 8/10 to 6/10 overall score

Goaltending
This really is the wild card of the entire series. Both guys are good- not great so far. Bishop has shown he can give games away and then next game steal it. Crawford started out slow and almost lost his starters gig in the first round before reclaiming it and being fairly consistent since. If either of these guys has a bad game their team loses and flipped either one could be called on to steal one as well.
Wash 7/10 – 7/10

Special Teams
Tampa has better PP and PK #s Tampa’s PP did struggle early on in the playoffs and has come on quite a bit in the past couple rounds. Chicago seems to have struggled but that could change. Until it does though advantage Tampa.
Edge Lightning by an 8/10 to 6/10 overall score

Coaching
Quinvilles NHL resume speaks for itself but Coopers resume is also pretty impressive having won championships at every level he has coached at most of those championships were also won in his second full season with a team. Coopers sometimes odd decision making makes me give the advantage Hawks.

Final analysis.
Hawks are the favourites as the do get the advantage is most categories but they are not such huge lopsided advantages that Tampa cannot over come them. In my mind this whole series hinges on goaltending, more specifically Bishop. If Bishop from Game 4 Vs New York shows up well this could be done in 5 as some say. However If the Bishop who showed up in Game 3 of Montreal series shows up Tampa can win and do it 5 as well.

So am I out to lunch?
(actually I wrote this on my lunch break so regardless the answer is yes.)

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
YES! Melrose takes the Hawks. He's picked against the Lightning in every single series. I'd love to make him eat this whole postseason.

Let's Go Bolts!!!!!

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Regardless of who you're a fan of, staying away from the main boards is recommended for one's health. That place just a toxic cesspool of stupidity and trolling. I can't speak for other teams, but I know there are a lot of Blackhawks posters there that don't post in the Blackhawks thread, and the majority of Hawks thread posters don't venture into the main boards to post. Place is a joke.

We certainly have a large share of idiot fans who don't conduct themselves very well, be it here or in person, but know that that's not everyone.

Very intriguing series and match up. Lightning remind of the Hawks when they were "younger" back in the 2008-09 season. It'll be interesting to see two fast, skilled teams go head to head like this.

I've actually posted about it in another thread, but my wife and I are relocating down there....this week! :laugh: Have liked what the organization has done down there the past couple of years and like watching them play. Will be a fan once I'm living there....after this series is over. ;)

Best of luck...kinda....and enjoy what should be a great series.

In all honestly, rounds after rounds I took less and less interest in reading or posting on those series talk threads, to the point I just don't read it anymore. We've been involved in continuous pissing contests for over a month now and it personally bored me to death.

Gonna be a hell of a series though, may the best win.

Bolto

?
Nov 3, 2006
Spring Hill, FL
1343244538_lightning_strikes_3_buildings_at_the_same_time__chicago.gif

Lightning strikes in Chicago.........................

Go Bolts!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Given the recent news on how essentially the entire top-4 of the Rangers D played with fractures or sprains it makes you wonder how beat up our players are. I mean we know of one injury (Callahan's appendix) but other than that it's all speculation (Bishop might have torn something, Paquette doesn't seem right, Boyle was out for a while, Carle had something and so on). They have fought 20 tough battles already and injury lists of playoff teams tend to be not so short...

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I hope I'm wrong, but I predict Chicago in 4.

I'm concerned the Lightning will be one of the many awestruck teams who make it to the finals for the first time.

Not with Cooper as the HC and YzerGod as GM. Stamkos and the vets will keep everyone in check.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...g-the-2014-15-new-york-rangers-163933542.html

If you haven't read it yet, this explains the experience for us, and should help realize the depth of our appreciation for what you've done.

Without a doubt one of the funniest things I've read about this playoff season. And the reference to "this guy", that moron in the video who gave the entire region a black eye for being stupid above and beyond the call of duty, was classic.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Norfolk Admirals fan that got to watch one of the greatest win streaks ever "28" on the way to the Calder Cup. Would very much like to see Coach Coop and the players that were on that Calder Cup team hoist Stanley. Stomp the Hawks and get Stevie his first cup as GM.
Shout out to "The Captain"

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Not really impressed with how Crawford has been playing, Ben has had some really solid/impressive showings these playoffs. They have a great Defence and Forward lineup, but I'm not scared of them. Bolts take it, hopefully on home ice, so if its game 7 then so be it! what a feeling it would be to win it on home ice!!

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Just a few of many thoughts on what we need to have happen in this series.

1. Stay outta the penalty box!

2. Forwards have to play great defensively and use their speed to get back and defend.

3. Our 3rd and 4th lines have to get on the score sheet and best the Hawks bottom lines. I wouldn't mind seeing a line of J.T. Namestnikov Cally. Either way our bottom lines have to produce.

4. Carle and Sustr have to be good, not great, heck not even really good.

Goober

Apr 19, 2006
Apparently the Lightning need not bother showing up for any of the games since all of the national media has already declared the Hawks as the winners.

Go ask the Rangers how that worked out.

:D

HedsUp77Up

Feb 19, 2013
Really excited for this one. Whether the Lightning win or lose, this series should be a lot closer than some people think. I think it will go at least six games.
Honestly, I wouldn't be super upset if we lost. At the very least, we'd get to see Brad Richards finally win a second Stanley Cup.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I just got back from vacation so I'm a bit late to the party, but congrats on the series win! Got a pretty lethal looking team for the next while! I'm jumping on the bandwagon, here's hoping you trounce the Hawks! Good luck! :)

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
XC's Take

Offense – Offense
I think Tampa’s top 6 is ever so slightly better than Chicago but manly due to the TKO line success vs. everyone especially those who have said they will shut them down. Stamkos started out slow but has picked it up and Killorn is underrated in his abilities.
Chicago is obviously no push overs and I think their bottom six is better than Tampa’s but again ever so slightly. Tampa bottom six has not been very productive so far but are very capable of it.
Wash 8/10 – 8/10

Offense – Defence
Hawks are better in this aspect but while Tampa’s bottom six don’t put up points they are good at stopping other teams from doing so. Callahan is very good defensively but no Towes.

Defence – Defence
Again Hawks top 2 and 4 are better than Tampa but Tampa is not that far behind. I would not say the difference is negligible it is apparent but Tampa is still very solid at defence (Except Matt Carle turnovers). Hawks have been playing mostly 4 guys very effectively where Tampa when using 7 is perfect so far in the playoffs.

Defence – Offense
Keith has been beasting so far and Seabrook has been playing great in his own right Hedman has been a force for Tampa but Keith having more points than all of Tampa’s D combined gives the Hawks the edge here too.

Goaltending
This really is the wild card of the entire series. Both guys are good- not great so far. Bishop has shown he can give games away and then next game steal it. Crawford started out slow and almost lost his starters gig in the first round before reclaiming it and being fairly consistent since. If either of these guys has a bad game their team loses and flipped either one could be called on to steal one as well.
Wash 7/10 – 7/10

Special Teams
Tampa has better PP and PK #s Tampa’s PP did struggle early on in the playoffs and has come on quite a bit in the past couple rounds. Chicago seems to have struggled but that could change. Until it does though advantage Tampa.
Edge Lightning by an 8/10 to 6/10 overall score

Coaching
Quinvilles NHL resume speaks for itself but Coopers resume is also pretty impressive having won championships at every level he has coached at most of those championships were also won in his second full season with a team. Coopers sometimes odd decision making makes me give the advantage Hawks.

Final analysis.
Hawks are the favourites as the do get the advantage is most categories but they are not such huge lopsided advantages that Tampa cannot over come them. In my mind this whole series hinges on goaltending, more specifically Bishop. If Bishop from Game 4 Vs New York shows up well this could be done in 5 as some say. However If the Bishop who showed up in Game 3 of Montreal series shows up Tampa can win and do it 5 as well.

So am I out to lunch?
(actually I wrote this on my lunch break so regardless the answer is yes.)

This.

Kinda wish Coop would play Drouin for a game or two to give the bottom 6 some spice, but on the other hand that probably won't happen and could be risky.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This.

Kinda wish Coop would play Drouin for a game or two to give the bottom 6 some spice, but on the other hand that probably won't happen and could be risky.

Not anymore risky than having Vlad or Morrow out there, but there's much more potential for a payoff.

I don't care if the bottom 6 doesn't score as long as they commit to that shut down defensive style the Lightning played in games 5/7 against the Rangers, blocking shots and being in good position, the top-6 will find a way to score, we just need to stop with the defensive breakdowns.

Oh and stop with the stupid too many men on the ice penalties, those are killer.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
YES! Melrose takes the Hawks. He's picked against the Lightning in every single series. I'd love to make him eat this whole postseason.

Let's Go Bolts!!!!!

When melrose picks against us we win! Go lightning ! I think in a way Jeff vinik came in a built Tampa bay up strong! Pretty much making his friend Oren koules look like a turd! Does it hurt melrose that Jon cooper is a better coach then he ever was ?

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Palat is so underrated. To the casual, they'd be shocked to hear he's a better player than Kessel, but he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad