Pre-Game Talk: 2014-15 Playoffs - ECF: New York Rangers vs Tampa Bay Lightning

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Sorry, it was supposed to be a joke

Np, my bad for not being able to tell:laugh: BTW, according to most Rags fans, we have a "weak D". Hahaha, hahaha, hahaha, hahaha, hahaha. One more, hahahaha.

Stralman, Hedman, Coburn, Garrison? Arguably one of the best, or the best, top 4 in the league. Yeah, Carle sucks but every blue line has one redheaded stepchild.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Np, my bad for not being able to tell:laugh: BTW, according to most Rags fans, we have a "weak D". Hahaha, hahaha, hahaha, hahaha, hahaha. One more, hahahaha.

Stralman, Hedman, Coburn, Garrison? Arguably one of the best, or the best, top 4 in the league. Yeah, Carle sucks but every blue line has one redheaded stepchild.
Rangers fans really over look Tampa they will be surprised

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

Fun stuff. Now I know that you shouldn't look at the RS games but if you look at the first game against them when we held them to only 17 SOG out 'd' was:

Stralman - Barberio
Garriosn - Sustr
Carle - Gudas

Our 'd' is miles better and more experienced then that now, though I'm not saying that we'll hold them 17 SOG because we didn't do that in the other two games but you know what I mean.

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
I already loved watching this team play for the last two years, but now I'll be your biggest fan. Let's go!

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Fun stuff. Now I know that you shouldn't look at the RS games but if you look at the first game against them when we held them to only 17 SOG out 'd' was:

Stralman - Barberio
Garriosn - Sustr
Carle - Gudas

Our 'd' is miles better and more experienced then that now, though I'm not saying that we'll hold them 17 SOG because we didn't do that in the other two games but you know what I mean.

Yeah, and their rationale is just that "but we're so much better now", well, so is our D. One should offset the other and leave us at the original result, hopefully.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Neither team had their top D in any of those games. Just having Hedman and McDonagh for 28-30 minutes a night is going to make a huge difference in these games, let alone everything else.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The way I see it with hindsight I think today's game is showing one more time how inconsistent we've been throughout the playoffs. NYR is legit, and without consistency, we'll be in trouble against them. They also have that capacity to steal a game here and there even when they don't play well moreover,something our precedent opponents were incapable to.

Tampa is what, the second youngest team in the league, right ? Maybe it's soon who knows ? I don't give up on them, quite the opposite, in fact I want to say how proud I am. To be there is already a terrific accomplishment and I have no ill will towards this team, whatever happens. I just hope they'll do their best and regret nothing, because there's nothing worse than regrets.

Now win game 2 boys !

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
We need to get Drouin in and just tell him to use his jets. We have to stretch them out to win this series, period. If they clog the NZ all series, we're screwed.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If Boyle is not ready:

Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Killorn - Stamkos - Marchessault
Drouin - Filppula - Brown
Morrow - Paquette - Callahan

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Coburn
Nesterov - Sustr

If Boyle is a go:

Killorn - Filppula - Stamkos
Drouin - Boyle - Marchessault
Brown - Paquette - Callahan/Morrow

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Coburn
Nesterov - Sustr

I guess it will never happen though because it involves scratching Carle and going with both JAM and Drouin.

Fact is we need Boyle back ASAP. He is the real backbone of this team.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Post above is spot on. We're in deep trouble w/o Boyle and we'll need to be a lot better even with him if he is even available. Drouin needs to have a spot on the top 6, Carle desperately needs to be scratched or play greatly reduced minutes. Put Nes-Tea in his spot and put Carle as a 4th line forward, anything to prevent his disastrous turnovers.

Our F's have to use their speed and our D has to be less awful. Garrison & Coburn have to be far better for us to win. I'd seriously consider splitting them up, but then none of the pairings make sense if you leave Carle in.

Hed-Garrison
Stralman-Sustr
Coburn-Nesterov

I think that'd balance out our speed on D and get a pairing or two that could create chances. What do you guys think?

BTW, the one constant has been Bishop. If he keeps playing like this, we might be able to steal the series. We just have to be average in front of him.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Post above is spot on. We're in deep trouble w/o Boyle and we'll need to be a lot better even with him if he is even available. Drouin needs to have a spot on the top 6, Carle desperately needs to be scratched or play greatly reduced minutes. Put Nes-Tea in his spot and put Carle as a 4th line forward, anything to prevent his disastrous turnovers.

Our F's have to use their speed and our D has to be less awful. Garrison & Coburn have to be far better for us to win. I'd seriously consider splitting them up, but then none of the pairings make sense if you leave Carle in.

Hed-Garrison
Stralman-Sustr
Coburn-Nesterov

I think that'd balance out our speed on D and get a pairing or two that could create chances. What do you guys think?

BTW, the one constant has been Bishop. If he keeps playing like this, we might be able to steal the series. We just have to be average in front of him.

Lefty/Righty is a real thing on D. Coburn is a pretty rare exception to the rule, as he plays the right side as a lefty. Usually, it doesn't go well.

JS91

May 14, 2014
I'm just wondering if Yzerman will resign Sustr and if he does how big of a contract will he get. The ideal situation would probably be to dump Carle for a draft pick and trade Sustr's rights for a late pick too. Then maybe go for a steady, physical bottom 6 RHD in the free agency and let Koekkoek and Nesterov rotate on the bottom 6 LHD role next year.

One way or another, that 3rd pairing cannot stay the same if we want to win something.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa

Hed-Garrison
Stralman-Sustr
Coburn-Nesterov

I agree, and yet I don't. Drouin needs to be in a top 6 spot to be successful, but he isn't currently defensively capable to handle the beast that is the playoffs. It's a difficult situation.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
If Boyle is not ready:

Killorn - Stamkos - Marchessault
Drouin - Filppula - Brown
Morrow - Paquette - Callahan

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Coburn
Nesterov - Sustr

If Boyle is a go:

Killorn - Filppula - Stamkos
Drouin - Boyle - Marchessault
Brown - Paquette - Callahan/Morrow

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Coburn
Nesterov - Sustr

I guess it will never happen though because it involves scratching Carle and going with both JAM and Drouin.

Fact is we need Boyle back ASAP. He is the real backbone of this team.

I said this elsewhere but call me crazy, I'd swap Callahan with Marchessault if Boyles in. I know it may seem concerning, as that line would have a "walking wounded" feel to it. Boyle coming back from an undisclosed injury, Cally and his coming back from an Appendectomy, and obviously Drouin having plucked splinters from his backside.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't think Yzerman gives up on Sustr that easily. He probably will try to shop around Carle though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad