2014-15 Official Rant Thread

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Ridiculous. 17 out of 21 seasons. 81% of their entire existence have been non-playoff seasons. In a league where half the teams get in. Downright putrid. A franchise that bad gets no moral victories, no "at least we're not last" slivers of improvement. This team is a giant fail. I'll never believe they're better until they actually are. -32, you gotta be kidding me.

Thought you were talking about Pirri for a brief moment then!

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
You must be joking. Every team in the playoffs is a +. This teams loses more than it wins, points be damned. They were never good enough. Just hope a miracle happens next season.

To be fair, you could give us 36 goals and have us +18 and we could still be where we are. Just add those goals to every game we won, not counting OT or SO. Nothing changes.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
To be fair, you could give us 36 goals and have us +18 and we could still be where we are. Just add those goals to every game we won, not counting OT or SO. Nothing changes.

But we're not. And the teams in the postseason are. Until that changes, this team won't be there. Argue all you want, the fact is every single seeded team is, and one of BOS/OTT and WIN/LAK will be bumped with a +. Florida won't be there, see the trend? If this team is bubble one more time, Dale Tallon will be smoked.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
But we're not. And the teams in the postseason are. Until that changes, this team won't be there. Argue all you want, the fact is every single seeded team is, and one of BOS/OTT and WIN/LAK will be bumped with a +. Florida won't be there, see the trend? If this team is bubble one more time, Dale Tallon will be smoked.

I know it's the rant thread so you have every right to be mad, but you are trying to argue that this season was a failure because they missed the playoffs. That's not really true, if they finish 3-2 they end up with 91 pts, a 25 point improvement. That's a huge swing. Ekblad looks like a stud, the type of player championships are built around. Huberdeau and Barkov look better. Bjugs is awesome. And you know what, they're all back next year, and should be even better.

I am reminded so much of the Hawks from 2007 to when they were bottom feeders, to 2008 when they just missed. We all know how the next 2 seasons went. I think you can be optimistic right now.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
I know it's the rant thread so you have every right to be mad, but you are trying to argue that this season was a failure because they missed the playoffs. That's not really true, if they finish 3-2 they end up with 91 pts, a 25 point improvement. That's a huge swing. Ekblad looks like a stud, the type of player championships are built around. Huberdeau and Barkov look better. Bjugs is awesome. And you know what, they're all back next year, and should be even better.

I am reminded so much of the Hawks from 2007 to when they were bottom feeders, to 2008 when they just missed. We all know how the next 2 seasons went. I think you can be optimistic right now.

This! People need to understand that this year wasn't a fluke year (like in 2011-2012), no one overperformed, everyone got better like they're supposed to! We're definately trending up and our whole organization is starting to look like a future stanley cup team :) our prospect pool is great, our roster's young guys are really good and getting better every year, our coach is good except for s few small situations, our ownership is just amazing. Right now it looks like this organization has a real future!

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

Im tired of relying on shoulds and maybe tbh. My brother always laughs and tells me hes think about putting the name on the back of his panthers jersey to read:

Maybe next year.

How can we go from maybe/should to guaranteed?

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Im tired of relying on shoulds and maybe tbh. My brother always laughs and tells me hes think about putting the name on the back of his panthers jersey to read:

Maybe next year.

How can we go from maybe/should to guaranteed?

Nothing is ever guaranteed, we could have a rash of injuries next year or something else could happen that prevents us from taking the step forward that we should be taking.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Nothing is ever guaranteed, we could have a rash of injuries next year or something else could happen that prevents us from taking the step forward that we should be taking.

Didn't the red wings make it last year with a slew of injuries? All else being equal I am not sure with a 100% healthy roster all season this squad was good enough to make the playoffs to begin with (Pre-Jagr). Post Jagr still bubble team.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Didn't the red wings make it last year with a slew of injuries? All else being equal I am not sure with a 100% healthy roster all season this squad was good enough to make the playoffs to begin with (Pre-Jagr). Post Jagr still bubble team.

They weren't good enough this year that's why we are where we are. The Red Wings are far beyond where we are. I was thinking more like the Blue Jackets this year.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

Depth. It takes time to get quality depth, especially when the Red Wings have that type of quality depth from having a very good AHL team that develops players properly.
In years past, we didn't even have enough quality players on the NHL team. Entering this year, we had to keep some solid players in the AHL/scratched. So, drafting and developing is important to surviving the wave of injuries teams will face. I think we are close to having enough quality young guys stored in the AHL where we can still fare well to lose a guy like Mitchell, Campbell, Kulikov, Bolland(lol), Bjugstad and a top 6 winger and not have the team fall in the standings.

The big thing that still is TBD is how well our star players will continue to develop. Is this the future of Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Guds and Ekblad? Will they be inconsistent like Kulikov, or are the impressive stretches we have seen from them will be the norm the majority of the time?

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
They weren't good enough this year that's why we are where we are. The Red Wings are far beyond where we are. I was thinking more like the Blue Jackets this year.

Depth. It takes time to get quality depth, especially when the Red Wings have that type of quality depth from having a very good AHL team that develops players properly.
In years past, we didn't even have enough quality players on the NHL team. Entering this year, we had to keep some solid players in the AHL/scratched. So, drafting and developing is important to surviving the wave of injuries teams will face. I think we are close to having enough quality young guys stored in the AHL where we can still fare well to lose a guy like Mitchell, Campbell, Kulikov, Bolland(lol), Bjugstad and a top 6 winger and not have the team fall in the standings.

The big thing that still is TBD is how well our star players will continue to develop. Is this the future of Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Guds and Ekblad? Will they be inconsistent like Kulikov, or are the impressive stretches we have seen from them will be the norm the majority of the time?

I still think a lot of concerns could be calmed and a lot of questions answered by bringing in some elite veteran help via trade if all we have to sacrifice is some 1st round picks.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
You know, as fans, I think it's "ok" for us to say that the team made great strides, and great improvement this year if they don't make it this year, and I am still holding on to hope.

However, as an organization, as a team, if you are trying to instill a culture of winning, or trying to build towards winning, you cannot come out with that kind of message. At this point, the message to the public and to your organization from top to bottom is, we did not win enough games to make the playoffs, we did not win this year, and it may not be a "failure", but it definitely was not a "success."

It's time to send the message to the rest of the NHL, especially potential free agents, that we are here to win and not "keep building."

I absolutely hate the attitude that it's ok if we don't make the playoffs from an organizational standpoint. As a member of a competitive sport, you absolutely have to have a competitive mindset.

As fans we can be "excited" for next year, as an organization you have to be "disappointed." Send the message. We are here to win.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
XCAjTgB.png

We really shouldn't have a bad powerplay next season if the "hype" about these kids is real

It should be competent. Maybe between 10 and 17 at least.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
From what I remember, we had 17 ppgs before the all-star break.

after the "adjustment", we had like 30 i believe?

I'm fine with Hubey not having ppgs as long as he has pp points I'm cool with it. he isn't the finisher on the pp anyway

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
XCAjTgB.png

We really shouldn't have a bad powerplay next season if the "hype" about these kids is real

It should be competent. Maybe between 10 and 17 at least.

Well the system on the PP is just as, if not more, important than the players. See Anaheim in 25th, Colorado in 29th, Chicago in 20th, Arizona in 7th.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Jonathan Huberdeau leads the team with 51 points..

Doesn't have 1 goal on the powerplay.

Discuss..
Not hard to figure out. He has an average NHL shot that requires a screen or getting on top of the goalie to score. He can improve it with repetition and the natural progression as he matures more. I'm finally starting to see him extend his stride rather than skating like he has ankle bracelets. I think he's finally starting to feel like his old self prior to the hip. Have to admit he surprised me as I just didn't see him getting out of his funk. Still needs to get rid of the puck quicker in his own zone as he is still not a match for skilled forecheckers that cause him turnovers.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I guess you see this as a problem since you've said this 2 threads now.
Yes what he's doing is such a negative, and is a handicap on the franchise. :sarcasm:

I just gave him some praise in the GDT. It doesn't matter anymore this year because what's done is done. But, that should probably change next year if we're going to make the jump from bubble team to legit playoff team. We'll need more contributions on the powerplay.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I just gave him some praise in the GDT. It doesn't matter anymore this year because what's done is done. But, that should probably change next year if we're going to make the jump from bubble team to legit playoff team. We'll need more contributions on the powerplay.

I don't know if you want to temper your expectations a little but he's producing as a first liner this year. I doubt he'll ever reach elite status. We shouldn't be unhappy with 60 points from him every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00