*2014-15 NHL TV Ratings*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Saturday night's game was on Sports South, which I don't believe is a premium channel. That's a pretty awful rating for the Canes (I think around 5,000 homes!); much lower than I would have expected. The numbers for an away game would be interesting to see though since for the Friday night one the arena was sold out so theoretically that is a good chunk of your more dedicated fans who are in the building instead of watching on TV.

I would be interested in how that rating compares historically (are they bottoming out now because of the dumpster fire that the team has been or is this business as usual?) but I've literally never seen Carolina ratings published in the 10 years or so I've been reading this board. It's always 28 teams with Carolina and Nashville not published.

It might be good to note home/away in rating posts (maybe bold the home team?) as I bet that does have an impact, at least for the smaller teams.

Last edited:

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
IIRC the Cans still pull in 9 mil per year for local tv.

Which is pretty good considering those ratings.

The blues only get 8 mil per year thru 2017 and are averaging 50-70K HH since last year.

The Canes ratings will improve when the club does

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Viewer numbers from first night of Rogers Hockey Night last Sat

7 PM
TOR-PIT: 1.57M on CBC
MTL/PHI: 1.20M on City/TVA
OTT/TB: 130K on SN1
CGY/STL: 112K on SN360
WSH/BOS: 15K on FX

10 PM
EDM/VAN: 1.22M on CBC
WPG/SJ: 87K on SN360

source Steve Lepore

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...of-nhl-hockey-nets-almost-10-million-viewers/

Rogers claims victory after opening weekend of NHL hockey nets almost 10 million viewers

Seems awful early to crow so, but....

What is there to crow about? Their flagship night saw a decline in ratings even though more games were available nationally. All they proved is that people watch their favorite teams and in Canada that's the Leafs and Habs. There's no compelling reason for someone to tune into the Sens or Flames. They didn't grow the audience and that's what Rogers claimed they could do on Saturday nights. Unless one of the teams gets hot, I don't see how they will grow anything. It's good that Hometown Hockey did fairly well but how will it do down the road when the Sens take on Tampa?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What is there to crow about? Their flagship night saw a decline in ratings even though more games were available nationally. All they proved is that people watch their favorite teams and in Canada that's the Leafs and Habs. There's no compelling reason for someone to tune into the Sens or Flames. They didn't grow the audience and that's what Rogers claimed they could do on Saturday nights. Unless one of the teams gets hot, I don't see how they will grow anything. It's good that Hometown Hockey did fairly well but how will it do down the road when the Sens take on Tampa?

Well eyeballs did grow.

Impossible to compare Rogers ratings with CBC in the past because CBC is no longer doing regional games.

What I am unclear on was if the Ottawa/TB game was available in French. TVA obviously went with Habs, but did TVA offer Ottawa in French as well? ( A good chunk of Ottawa's market is French)

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Well eyeballs did grow.

Impossible to compare Rogers ratings with CBC in the past because CBC is no longer doing regional games.

It's not impossible. CBC aired two games at 7PM regionally last year on the opening Saturday night. They totaled 2.6 mil viewers. This year, all those 7 PM telecasts under the HNIC banner totaled 2.2 million. Last year , CBC showed one late game that drew 1.4 million. This year, Rogers aired two games on two channels that drew 1.3 million in total. How is that growing eyeballs? That's a decline of 22% and 10% In each slot with more games.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's not impossible. CBC aired two games at 7PM regionally last year on the opening Saturday night. They totaled 2.6 mil viewers. This year, all those 7 PM telecasts under the HNIC banner totaled 2.2 million. Last year , CBC showed one late game that drew 1.4 million. This year, Rogers aired two games on two channels that drew 1.3 million in total. How is that growing eyeballs? That's a decline of 22% and 10% In each slot with more games.

The crazy part of this deal is Rogers gets CBLT-TV in Toronto for free on Saturday nights so pretty much expect the Leafs to be on CBC early every Saturday. Habs English is actually very weak as for the past few years most Anglophones in Quebec prefered RDS over CBC because of Bob Cole, but Cole remained strong in the Maritimes. It remains to be seen if TVA can match what RDS has done.

The biggest loser in all of this is Chris Cuthbert who will wind up calling Hockey East games and a few NHL games on NBCSN this season.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
Viewer numbers from first night of Rogers Hockey Night last Sat

7 PM
TOR-PIT: 1.57M on CBC
MTL/PHI: 1.20M on City/TVA
OTT/TB: 130K on SN1
CGY/STL: 112K on SN360
WSH/BOS: 15K on FX

10 PM
EDM/VAN: 1.22M on CBC
WPG/SJ: 87K on SN360

source Steve Lepore

Those numbers are completely insane. And contrary to the rantings of a previous poster, they're up compared to last season.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Those numbers are completely insane. And contrary to the rantings of a previous poster, they're up compared to last season.

Then you didn't read anything else Lepore reported. He did the math himself. The ratings were down. The National Post also mentioned it in their article. So did Yahoo Sports. The only people to not tell you that is Rogers. If you want to believe them over the National Post, Yahoo and Awful Announcing, suit yourself.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Then you didn't read anything else Lepore reported. He did the math himself. The ratings were down. The National Post also mentioned it in their article. So did Yahoo Sports. The only people to not tell you that is Rogers. If you want to believe them over the National Post, Yahoo and Awful Announcing, suit yourself.

There is a simple explanation on why the numbers were down last Saturday. It was Canadian Thanksgiving this year which is a major travel weekend in Canada. Last year the first Saturday was a week before Thanksgiving.

The Ottawa numbers show how limited that market is. It is easily the weakest market in Canada.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013

Looks like you are hanging your hat on some fuzzy math. Was the Montreal game not considered to be "HNIC" so those monster ratings (for City TV) get thrown out?

Seems like an irrelevant technicality, considering the Toronto and Montreal games would have been simulcast on HNIC last season.

Any way you slice it, nearly 3 million viewers at 7:00 pm is an absolute monster number. That's damn near 10% of the entire country... on a Saturday night... for regular season hockey. :amazed:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
According to the Miami Herald, only 3,265 homes watched the Senators/Panthers game earlier this week. Barbecue University on PBS did better that night than the Panthers.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...h-staff-hurricanes-dolphins-heat-chatter.html

I've heard that using Miami's numbers for their ratings is inaccurate, as a large chunk of their fans live in West Palm Beach, which isn't covered by the Dade/Brouward measurement. Would be interesting to see what they got there. I'm sure it was terrible still.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
IU hawks fan,

If you get time will you post the locals for Thursday nights action?

I am curious to see how the blues did with a 9:30 local start after 4 days off and the Cardinals losing during the 1st intermission.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
IU hawks fan,

If you get time will you post the locals for Thursday nights action?

I am curious to see how the blues did with a 9:30 local start after 4 days off and the Cardinals losing during the 1st intermission.

IU - I know NBCSN has not released DET/BOS numbers on Wed, but I would be fascinated on how the Boston overnights for Thursday broke down. Thanks.

2mannings1cup

Jun 15, 2012
IU - I know NBCSN has not released DET/BOS numbers on Wed, but I would be fascinated on how the Boston overnights for Thursday broke down. Thanks.

33.8 for the Pats

2.2 for the Bruins

Source: 98.5 The Sports Hub (Felger and Mazz)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
33.8 for the Pats

2.2 for the Bruins

Source: 98.5 The Sports Hub (Felger and Mazz)

Pats number was what I expected, Bruins number is really low especially since it was Montreal. It just reinforces that the NFL is king compared to the other 3 sports.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Pats number was what I expected, Bruins number is really low especially since it was Montreal. It just reinforces that the NFL is king compared to the other 3 sports.

Hockey in October isn't supposed to draw huge ratings. Will anybody remember these early games in April??

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBCSN’s first two Wednesday Night Rivalry telecasts, featuring the Flyers and Boston Bruins on Wednesday, Oct. 8, and the Bruins and Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday, Oct. 15, have delivered 766,000 average viewers, up 39% from the average of last year’s first two WNR games (553,000).

In addition, last week’s Bruins-Red Wings matchup was the most-streamed Wednesday Night Rivalry game ever in total visits (21,000), uniques (19,000) and live starts (41,000), excluding season openers, Stadium Series or Winter Classic games. In addition, those metrics all saw triple-digit increases from last year’s Wednesday Night Rivalry per game average during final quarter of the 2013 calendar year (uniques up 191%; visits up 200%; live starts up 240%).

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...lyers-on-wednesday-night-rivalry-at-8-p-m-et/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad