Post-Game Talk: 2014-15 New York Rangers (53-22-7 [RS] // 11-8 [PO]) Warning #516

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I fear for humanity when discussing certain things with you, because its so hard to see the world from your narrow point of view.

However, let me ask you this...

You're Glen Sather.

Henrik Lundqvist falls into your lap, and gives you 3-5 years of elite play. It's time to sign him to a long term deal to lock him in. He's your best player, your franchise player.

You let Lundqvist walk and not sign him to the contract he eventually signed to because you think its too much and the money should be spent elsewhere?

I'll be speechless if you say yes.

I think it's an incredibly tough decision. I'd actively try and trade him, which Sather didn't do, though.

Keep in mind I have zero -- ZERO -- faith in Sather building a team. As you stated, Hank basically fell into his lap.

I fear for humanity if you continue this line of hyperbole, though. My view of the world is exponentially more expansive since I can actually lay blame on certain individuals that you can't.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
0/15 | 7:21AM:*Derek Stepan said that McDonagh showed “tremendous guts” in this series and that “he wanted to be Mac so badly and he just wasn’t able to get there.”*(Daily News)

5:55AM:*McDonagh broke his foot in Game 4 of this series.*(NY Post)

McDonagh was not credited with any blocked shots in Game 4 nor was he credited with being hit.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
We will regret Staal and Girardi's contracts more than the Lightning will regret Callahan's. It was idiotic giving that kind of money and no trade clauses to such one dimensional players. Staal is the most useless defenseman that I've ever seen in the offensive zone. Girardi might be the worst passing defenseman in the league. Sadly we're stuck with both of them.

This is true. Painfully true. :(

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
0/15 | 7:21AM:*Derek Stepan said that McDonagh showed “tremendous guts†in this series and that “he wanted to be Mac so badly and he just wasn’t able to get there.â€*(Daily News)

5:55AM:*McDonagh broke his foot in Game 4 of this series.*(NY Post)

McDonagh was not credited with any blocked shots in Game 4 nor was he credited with being hit.
What? Did he hit a rut in the ice or something? Sounds strange.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
A question that does beg an answer. Who was the last team to win a Cup with an ELITE goaltender?

Jonathan Quick. He might not be a top 5 goalie every year, but he was last year. The problem when you say "elite goaltender" is that Lundqvist is the only one you can put in that conversation every single season. Some years Price is there. Others Bobrovsky. Others Tim Thomas (who was the last "elite" goalie before Quick to win one). The last goalie who was consistently in that conversation was Roberto Luongo. And he's not anymore.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Jonathan Quick. He might not be a top 5 goalie every year, but he was last year. The problem when you say "elite goaltender" is that Lundqvist is the only one you can put in that conversation every single season. Some years Price is there. Others Bobrovsky. Others Tim Thomas (who was the last "elite" goalie before Quick to win one). The last goalie who was consistently in that conversation was Roberto Luongo. And he's not anymore.

Off topic, but therein lies why Hank is not a generational talent as some have crazily stated.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
About Bishop last night...Pierre practically ******** him in the interview after the game but I cannot remember any difficult saves he had to make....maybe my memory is going? :dunno:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
5.8M cap hit versus 8.5M.

Ok....an elite goalie vs a generationally-talented goalie...I think I see what your agenda is...Henrik would have gotten $10mil+ on the open market, should NYR have let him walk...?

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Ok....an elite goalie vs a generational talent goalie...I think I see what are you trying to imply... Henrik would have gotten $10mil on the open market, should NYR have let him walk...?

On any other team he would have had a Cup by now.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ok....an elite goalie vs a generational goalie...I think I see what are you trying to imply... Henrik would have gotten $10mil on the open market, should NYR have let him walk...?

. . . and just on cue with the "generational goalie" insanity. Hank is not a generational talent.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No team has ever won a Cup without getting elite goaltending in the playoffs. The better the goalie you have, the better chance you're going to get that kind of goaltending in the playoffs.

Frankly, this whole discussion is a waste of typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad