Post-Game Talk: 2014-15 New York Rangers (53-22-7 [RS] // 11-8 [PO]) Warning #516

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Goaltenders don't play against each other. They play against forwards and defencemen.
If Bishop won a Cup before Lundqvist, it is no reflection on Lundqvist.
It would mean that his team played better.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I want Stralman and Boyle to win, but the rest of that team can **** off.

LOL, can you imagine Bishop winning a 'Cup before Lundqvist? Think about that. Think about how many mediocre goalies have won a championship while Lundqvist probably never will.

Just more goes to the point that I'd much rather spend the money elsewhere.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Goaltenders don't play against each other. They play against forwards and defencemen.
If Bishop won a Cup before Lundqvist, it is no reflection on Lundqvist.
It would mean that his team played better.

That was the point. It's disgusting that Bishop will basically get carried by an elite defense to a 'Cup while Lundqvist tries to will his mediocre team to one and fails.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I believe that we've gotten as far as we can with this group of players. Sather traded too many first round picks and handed out too many no trade clauses to players who don't deserve them.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
I expected an all out war with the way the boys hyped **** up pre-game. The way this team fizzled out was something else.

LOL, can you imagine Bishop winning a 'Cup before Lundqvist? Think about that. Think about how many mediocre goalies have won a championship while Lundqvist probably never will.
Oh, it doesn't matter who wins now....An inferior, FAR inferior, goaltender will win the Stanley Cup this year. Let that sink in. It makes me want to barf.

Makes me sick to my stomach. It's just downright cruel and unfair. Year after year.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Im not excusing their **** performance last night.

I just think they'll get a few more cracks at it and appreciate what they've done considering how hard it was to build a contender without the benefit of multiple lottery picks.

Some of you sound like you want upheaval like in 1994. That's a dangerous game to play. Probably smarter to stay the course and focus on the bottom 6.

Guarantee you that if Gorton is GM he's going to be less inclined to beef up with skill guys for a Cup run.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

I love Henrik and it's great to watch a HoF goaltender's career unfold before your eyes, but if he runs this contract out without winning a 'Cup I would have to agree that the plan going forward should be to stack the F/D and ride a serviceable goaltender.

You don't need a Lundqvist to win a 'Cup.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Go Ducks/Hawks. Don't care who just not Tampa.

This loss hurts more than losing to Kings. Weird.

For me, beating the Kings was such an uphill task. Winning it all seemed more attainable this year. Chicago/Anaheim would both be very tough matchups, but less so than last year's Kings.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
We will regret Staal and Girardi's contracts more than the Lightning will regret Callahan's. It was idiotic giving that kind of money and no trade clauses to such one dimensional players. Staal is the most useless defenseman that I've ever seen in the offensive zone. Girardi might be the worst passing defenseman in the league. Sadly we're stuck with both of them.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
That was the point. It's disgusting that Bishop will basically get carried by an elite defense to a 'Cup while Lundqvist tries to will his mediocre team to one and fails.

Gotcha. I agree with the premise.
Myself, not convinced at all on the elite defence of TB. I suspect they will get twisted, pulled and stretched by an attack especially like what the Ducks do. They are not stopped in their quest to exploit a goalie like Bishop. Kesler, Perry, Getzlaf and company are not diverted to the perimeter. They get to rebounds and they don't mind doing whatever to get there.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Too bad we didn't get to play a single playoff game with our full lineup.

It's important to consider. Despite this team winning a PT, how often was it fully healthy all-season? Not much, maybe not even at all. Many of the injured players did not return to form post injury, some of them were still playing injured.

When you get that deep in to the playoffs injuries are going to finally take its toll. You have to have a relatively healthy team throughout, bumps, bruises and sores are fine, but broken bones, separated shoulders and muscles issues and are not going to work.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I love Henrik and it's great to watch a HoF goaltender's career unfold before your eyes, but if he runs this contract out without winning a 'Cup I would have to agree that the plan going forward should be to stack the F/D and ride a serviceable goaltender.

You don't need a Lundqvist to win a 'Cup.

It's just a stupid way to build a team, really.

The worst part is, as I mentioned before, I don't trust Sather to build it properly even without Hank.

So it's the worst type of catch-22.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Go Ducks/Hawks. Don't care who just not Tampa.

This loss hurts more than losing to Kings. Weird.

**** Tampa.

But in all honesty, I'd say that about literally every single team in the East. I'd rather the West win the Cup every single year and hear about the ******** Z0MG THE WEST IS SO TUFF LOL than see another Eastern team besides the Rangers win it. I used to regularly pull for the Wings and the Sens to win it if we didn't, but I'm getting older, angrier, and more hateful. So **** them, too.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Plus you have to at least consider this:

Rangers backups since 2012 were 49-23-8.

Essentially a 106-point regular season team without Lundqvist.

Like you, I dont think you need a star goalie to win a Cup. You need solid goaltending and an outstanding top-4 and top-6

Moving Lundqvist, however, is very dangerous. Montreal never recovered from moving Roy. Buffalo was a mess after Hasek. Chicago missed the playoffs 8 of 9 seasons after trading Belfour.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
“You score four goals at home, you’re not going to win the series,†goalie Henrik Lundqvist said. “It’s not going to happen.â€

It makes me wonder what he told the forwards themselves.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Plus you have to at least consider this:

Rangers backups since 2012 were 49-23-8.

Essentially a 106-point regular season team without Lundqvist.

Like you, I dont think you need a star goalie to win a Cup. You need solid goaltending and an outstanding top-4 and top-6

Moving Lundqvist, however, is very dangerous. Montreal never recovered from moving Roy. Buffalo was a mess after Hasek. Chicago missed the playoffs 8 of 9 seasons after trading Belfour.

I don't think we could move him. We are stuck with this type of team build until he retires. We have to pray he can actually play well enough to win a Cup. He certainly did not this series.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It's just a stupid way to build a team, really.

The worst part is, as I mentioned before, I don't trust Sather to build it properly even without Hank.

So it's the worst type of catch-22.

I fear for humanity when discussing certain things with you, because its so hard to see the world from your narrow point of view.

However, let me ask you this...

You're Glen Sather.

Henrik Lundqvist falls into your lap, and gives you 3-5 years of elite play. It's time to sign him to a long term deal to lock him in. He's your best player, your franchise player.

You let Lundqvist walk and not sign him to the contract he eventually signed to because you think its too much and the money should be spent elsewhere?

I'll be speechless if you say yes.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think its more a combination of both but yeah this was Hanks worst series in recent memory.

Oh, it absolutely is. I've said a million times throughout the GDT and the PGT that the entire team was to blame. nevesis refuses to place an ounce of blame on Hank, so I just get a kick out of his posts at this point.

As an aside, I feel like Hank is more the King by royal decree instead of actually having won the crown at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad