Prospect Info: 2014/15 Marlies/Prospects Thread v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Valiev is my 2nd favourite prospect for the Leafs other than Nylander.

The kid has a high ceiling that was clouded by so many question marks.

Leafs took a risk with his clearly uncertain status, but its a big reward type of pick.

He wasn't drafted ahead of the likes of Zadorov, Nichuskin, Hertl etc in his KHL Draft year for no reason.

He's very talented and still has that untapped potential.

I think the Leafs take their time developing him, but he's certainly a valid option to be a Top 4 defender for this team in a few years.

Solid two-way game, good IQ and good puck movement and mobility will go a long way for this young man.

This is a veiled statement.

Teams in the KHL do not draft on talent basis alone. It's pretty clear and concise that teams look at viable candidates to play in the KHL over pipe dream players Zadorov, Nichuskin, Hertl etc.

He's turning out to be a good prospect, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The reality of the Leafs prospects are there are no high end scorers on the Marlies.

If Connor Brown only has 5 goals this year after having 128 in the OHL last year. I am curious see how many Gauthier will get next year.

I'm curious why you decided to use Connor Brown's goal total (5) instead of point total (17) when comparing it to his junior point totals (128).

It's pretty crazy to assume a kid is going to come into the AHL and light it up. I'd love for you to tell me the last time a player registered an 128 point season in the AHL?

The fact of the matter is that he's a boom/bust prospect that is showing signs of legitimate offensive potential. Many times players make the jump from being a high scoring junior to low-scoring pro. The fact the Brown is hovering around a 0.7 PPG as a 20 year old in a league dominated by men is an impressive start.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Is Dakota Joshua going to the WJC's with Team USA? Or am I missing something from this tweet?

EDIT: Got the answer. It's not actually for the WJC but for the World Junior A Challenge Dec 14-20 in Saskatchewan. Makes sense because he's not really a top USA prospect.

He's still relatively young for the WJC. It's usually dominated by 19 year old primarily

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
This is a veiled statement.

Teams in the KHL do not draft on talent basis alone. It's pretty clear and concise that teams look at viable candidates to play in the KHL over pipe dream players Zadorov, Nichuskin, Hertl etc.

He's turning out to be a good prospect, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Both Nichushkin and Zadorov were both still in Russia at the time, just like Valiev. They were drafted mere picks behind him (Zadorov right after Valiev) and Kush had "KHL" concerns leading up to the NHL draft. It's completely revisionist to say they were pipe dream players.

The KHL draft often has players with low hopes of transferring to the KHL being drafted. Huberdeau went 5th in 2011, Landeskog went 16th. Barkov went 2nd in 2012. It's pretty common for highly regarded players with little hope of being KHLers being drafted high in the first two rounds.

It's a little facetious to say "Valiev drafted higher than" but it definitely shows that he was a highly regarded player. It is still pretty interesting that he was draft 3rd overall in his KHL draft.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Both Nichushkin and Zadorov were both still in Russia at the time, just like Valiev. They were drafted mere picks behind him (Zadorov right after Valiev) and Kush had "KHL" concerns leading up to the NHL draft. It's completely revisionist to say they were pipe dream players.

The KHL draft often has players with low hopes of transferring to the KHL being drafted. Huberdeau went 5th in 2011, Landeskog went 16th. Barkov went 2nd in 2012. It's pretty common for highly regarded players with little hope of being KHLers being drafted high in the first two rounds.

It's a little facetious to say "Valiev drafted higher than" but it definitely shows that he was a highly regarded player. It is still pretty interesting that he was draft 3rd overall in his KHL draft.

I think this is a very well written and articulated middle ground between the two points.

My intention wasnt to suggest that Valiev was drafted ahead of these guys because he was better.

It was a meer suggestion he was highly regarded and in the same breath as the other prospects mentioned.

Obviously I was a bit loosely worded in that regard, but the post above sums it up quite nicely.

Couldnt agree more.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Is Dakota Joshua going to the WJC's with Team USA? Or am I missing something from this tweet?

EDIT: Got the answer. It's not actually for the WJC but for the World Junior A Challenge Dec 14-20 in Saskatchewan. Makes sense because he's not really a top USA prospect.

I was gonna ask if he is on some sort of tear this year. My first reaction was holy ****! I didn't expect that.:laugh:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005

I think an apt comparison might be to the CFL draft in football, where there is a difficult balance point between talent and perceived signability. Signability does affect draft position, especially for some teams, but to be drafted very high still means that the player is also perceived as being very talented.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The jump from junior to even the AHL is a big one. If you have trouble scoring in junior, it does not auger well. I expect Brown to improve, he has a good touch around the net.

This guy is clearly the offensive leader on this team, especially since Trevor Smith and Josh Leivo have been bouncing between the AHL and NHL. He's going nearly PPG, and that's on the clear worst offensive team in the AHL. I think he, McKegg and Loov are making strong cases for an NHL spot next year.

I'm serious, the players are not the problem. A team doesn't suddenly go from being one of the top teams in the AHL to one of the worst by losing Brennan, MacIntyre, Kozun and D'Amigo. There's got to be something wrong with the offensive system... The coach or someone else has got to step up to get more out of these players offensively, because most, if not all, are capable of playing a lot better offense that they have been thus far.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
This guy is clearly the offensive leader on this team, especially since Trevor Smith and Josh Leivo have been bouncing between the AHL and NHL. He's going nearly PPG, and that's on the clear worst offensive team in the AHL. I think he, McKegg and Loov are making strong cases for an NHL spot next year.

I'm serious, the players are not the problem. A team doesn't suddenly go from being one of the top teams in the AHL to one of the worst by losing Brennan, MacIntyre, Kozun and D'Amigo. There's got to be something wrong with the offensive system... The coach or someone else has got to step up to get more out of these players offensively, because most, if not all, are capable of playing a lot better offense that they have been thus far.

He's trying to draw negative attention to another Leaf prospect by using Brown's transition to suggest that said other prospects is going to struggle offensively.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
you really have to learn more about ahl scoring before trying to speak authoritatively on it.

brown's production in his first 23gms in the ahl has been very good. there is no "only" about it. he's one of the top scoring rookies in the league, alongside other teams' first round picks, and ahead of highly touted kids like Teravainen. and he's done this on a team that's had a helluva time scoring goals this year.

I notice Abbott, Leivo, Carrick, Percy and even Broll are not generating the same numbers under Dineen they were under Spott. I am not saying Brown would be shooting the lights out under a different coach but he is outscoring Abbot who had 69 pts last year. The points seem hard to come by in Ricoh this year.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Kyle Cicerella @KyleTheReporter
Leaf Prospect Frederik Gauthier with a goal and assist so far tonight for Rimouski. Extends his point streak to seven games

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Kyle Cicerella @KyleTheReporter
Leaf Prospect Frederik Gauthier with a goal and assist so far tonight for Rimouski. Extends his point streak to seven games

After missing time with his injury he is getting into game shape and scoring more

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Slow and steady wins the race...except when you are the oilers...then you never win the race. dear lord not as slow as the oilers ANYONE BUT THEM!

Point being is freddy will get there.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Also interested about Bibeau and Gibson? Which one is #1 atm? How have they played?

Probably Gibson since he's played more games. However, they rotate quite often so its more of a 1A and 1B like Carlyle always says. I know Bibeau has looked very good especially for his first year as a pro. He is just so calm and reliable in net when he plays. Gibson has been good as well, but the marlies don't get a lot of goals so wins are harder to come by.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Probably Gibson since he's played more games. However, they rotate quite often so its more of a 1A and 1B like Carlyle always says. I know Bibeau has looked very good especially for his first year as a pro. He is just so calm and reliable in net when he plays. Gibson has been good as well, but the marlies don't get a lot of goals so wins are harder to come by.

Gibson has definitely been the #1 so far, although with the AHL scheduling Bibeau should be able to get in at least 30ish games as the back up (lots of b2bs, 3 games in 4 nights, even the odd 3 games in 3 days weekend). I haven't seen Bibeau very much, but his calmness in net stands out for a guy in his 1st year as a pro. Gibson reminds me of Bernier with his play sometimes, he's not the biggest guy (although he probably has a couple inches on Bernier) and compensates by being pretty aggressive. His rebound control seems to be good, at the AHL level at least.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think this is a very well written and articulated middle ground between the two points.

My intention wasnt to suggest that Valiev was drafted ahead of these guys because he was better.

It was a meer suggestion he was highly regarded and in the same breath as the other prospects mentioned.

Obviously I was a bit loosely worded in that regard, but the post above sums it up quite nicely.

Couldnt agree more.

Thanks!

I figured that you didn't mean to suggest it, so I tried to expand on it a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad