Line Combos: 2014-15 Lineups - Part II

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Want them to keep that line so bad.

And haha at the last one, we could call them "The Ugly and the Beaks"

After last game, they are making a strong case to keep them together. But you know as soon as Killorn gets back he will likely be back up there.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Yeah, here are the updates after Saturday's game..

Stamkos 5 on 5 with Callahan

GF/60 - 3.33
GA/60 - 2.17

Stamkos 5 on 5 with Killorn

GF/60 - 3.02
GA/60 - 2.41

Interesting

Can you tell me which site you're using ?

I wanna look up some other combinations

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006

Thank you

So I dug a little deeper into the question of Stamkos and Filppula's wingers. I'm assuming TKO sticks together at least this season and that none of Boyle,Brown,Morrow move into the top 9

I'm looking at Goal Differential/60 at 5 on 5

Stamkos 2.91 - 2.49 = .42

Callahan 3.33 - 2.17 = 1.16
Killorn 3.02 - 2.41 = 0.61
Drouin 2.91 - 2.38 = .53

All 3 options improved Stamkos overall goal differential with Callahan at the top. One thing to note is that the time Drouin has been with Stamkos has mostly been with Killorn and not Callahan. I'd like to see Killorn vs Drouin when each is paired with Stamkos and Callahan

Filppula 2.16 - 2.56 = -.4

Callahan 2.52-2.52 = 0
Paquette = 1.34 - 1.56 = -.22
Killorn = 2.34 - 3.14 = -.80
Namestnikov = 1.51 - 2.52 = -1.01
Drouin = 1.16 - 2.70 = -1.54

Filppula has overall been a negative goal differential at even strength. Callahan is the only player to get him to an even +/-

Paquette also improved his differential from -.4 to -.22

Drouin and Filppula obviously is a bad match so this could be why he is bouncing between the 4th line and Stamkos line

While Callahan doesn't 'deserve' to be off the Stamkos line I think the team overall functions better with

Killorn-Stamkos-Drouin
TKO
Paquette-Filppula-Callahan
Morrow-Boyle-Brown

If Paquette-Filppula-Callahan can maintain an even +/- while playing tough shutdown minutes that is a huge win in my mind

The other argument is Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan which looks promising. Can Killorn-Filppula-Paquette be a solid checking line ? Possibly

Last edited:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thank you

So I dug a little deeper into the question of Stamkos and Filppula's wingers. I'm assuming TKO sticks together at least this season and that none of Boyle,Brown,Morrow move into the top 9

I'm looking at Goal Differential/60 at 5 on 5

Stamkos 2.91 - 2.49 = .42

Callahan 3.33 - 2.17 = 1.16
Killorn 3.02 - 2.41 = 0.61
Drouin 2.91 - 2.38 = .53

All 3 options improved Stamkos overall goal differential with Callahan at the top. One thing to note is that the time Drouin has been with Stamkos has mostly been with Killorn and not Callahan. I'd like to see Killorn vs Drouin when each is paired with Stamkos and Callahan

Filppula 2.16 - 2.56 = -.4

Callahan 2.52-2.52 = 0
Paquette = 1.34 - 1.56 = -.22
Killorn = 2.34 - 3.14 = -.80
Namestnikov = 1.51 - 2.52 = -1.01
Drouin = 1.16 - 2.70 = -1.54

Filppula has overall been a negative goal differential at even strength. Callahan is the only player to get him to an even +/-

Paquette also improved his differential from -.4 to -.22

Drouin and Filppula obviously is a bad match so this could be why he is bouncing between the 4th line and Stamkos line

While Callahan doesn't 'deserve' to be off the Stamkos line I think the team overall functions better with

Killorn-Stamkos-Drouin
TKO
Paquette-Filppula-Callahan
Morrow-Boyle-Brown

If Paquette-Filppula-Callahan can maintain an even +/- while playing tough shutdown minutes that is a huge win in my mind

The other argument is Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan which looks promising. Can Killorn-Filppula-Paquette be a solid checking line ? Possibly

Stamkos goal differential is significantly better with Callahan. If it was not that much of a difference then I would let the Killorn-Stamkos-Drouin line roll.

Another thing I noticed, Drouin is playing better on both ends of the ice when he is with Cally. His defense was very good and went very underrated last game. There were two plays where he took a guy out of the play staying on him, and one of them eventually led to the Cally goal.

Callahan is similar to Palat he makes players on his line better, because of all the intangibles he does like picking pockets and winning those puck battles on the boards. I think that is why Coop has put him back and forth, and honestly Coop does not know where he wants to keep him, and I guess that is a good thing, knowing you have a player who fits on more than one line.

Not to knock Killorn, He is a good solid 2nd/3rd line player who can put up around 40 points and has made that top line good, but not as good as Cally has, looking at those numbers. I think putting Killorn back with Flip will solidify a strong 3rd shutdown line and keep us with two top lines that are a major scoring threat. Drouin gets to stay on the top line. It's a good mix which gives that line a lot of options to make plays happen.

So I am all for #TheUglyline or #UglyandtheBeaks

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hey, hey, some real change:

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 30m30 minutes ago
#tblightning PP practice: Stralman-Stamkos-Filppula-Palat-Boyle
Drouin-Johnson-Callahan-Kucherov-Nesterov

Namestnikov was out sick, so this might not be what we see in the game. I like Palat on 1st though. Gives us a grinder on both units. Drouin/Johnson/Callahan/Kucherov looks pretty sick on paper too.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Hey, hey, some real change:

Namestnikov was out sick, so this might not be what we see in the game. I like Palat on 1st though. Gives us a grinder on both units. Drouin/Johnson/Callahan/Kucherov looks pretty sick on paper too.

I just saw that an I agree, those 4 forwards on a PP unit togther could be awesome.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
PP in the last 10 games...

7 for 32 = 22%

PP in the last 20 games...

15 for 66 = 23%

Anything over 20% is good. imo.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

7 for 32 = 22%

15 for 66 = 23%

Yeah. At first it was shaky because we were scoring while still looking awful. In the last 5 or 6 games though I think we've looked better. And we've scored PP goals in something like 4 straight games.

Hopefully this isn't another example of me jinxing something.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

7 for 32 = 22%

15 for 66 = 23%

The PP is kind of like Stamkos this season. If you just look at the numbers it's not so bad but it is so unpleasant to watch 90% of the time

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah. At first it was shaky because we were scoring while still looking awful. In the last 5 or 6 games though I think we've looked better. And we've scored PP goals in something like 4 straight games.

Hopefully this isn't another example of me jinxing something.

LOL, I don't believe in the jinx thing. Things are meant to happen for a reason. Play hard and whatnot good things will happen.

Anyway, if we can go into the playoffs a little over a 20% PP, that is certainly a good thing. Also some more versatility in scoring recently. Others guys scoring, on top of Cally, Johnson and Stammer. Flip potted one, and Palat had a couple also in that time. Everyone has to pitch in, if we are going to get a solid PP going.

They need to keep shooting on goal. Good things happen when they do. I'm still debating which unit has been better. Last PP goal was in the middle of a change, so could not get an idea on that one. Coop should just try and give them even time. Whichever unit looks good on the 1st PP of the game, give that unit first dips on the next one and a little more time. Coop has done that I believe.

BTW, think I was off by one or two chances in the last 20 games stat I posted, but still is like 22%.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Playoffs could be a different story. Three years ago the Devils went to the finals with a putrid PK %... Their PK % in the regular season is an NHL record. You just never know what's going to happen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
LOL, I don't believe in the jinx thing. Things are meant to happen for a reason. Play hard and whatnot good things will happen.

Anyway, if we can go into the playoffs a little over a 20% PP, that is certainly a good thing. Also some more versatility in scoring recently. Others guys scoring, on top of Cally, Johnson and Stammer. Flip potted one, and Palat had a couple also in that time. Everyone has to pitch in, if we are going to get a solid PP going.

They need to keep shooting on goal. Good things happen when they do. I'm still debating which unit has been better. Last PP goal was in the middle of a change, so could not get an idea on that one. Coop should just try and give them even time. Whichever unit looks good on the 1st PP of the game, give that unit first dips on the next one and a little more time. Coop has done that I believe.

BTW, think I was off by one or two chances in the last 20 games stat I posted, but still is like 22%.

Concerning the jinx, someday I won't to make a post of all the things I've jinxed in the Around the League thread. My rate has to be somewhere in the 90% range. Just last night it happened again. It's making a believer of me. ;)

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I posted this lineup change in the GDT, anyone Think it would be Worth a try or is there Another lineup that could work:

Drouin - Stamkos - Kucherov
Palat - Johnson - Callahan
Killorn - Filppula - Boyle
Morrow - Paquette - Brown

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Killorn-Stamkos-Drouin
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Brown-Filppula-Callahan
Morrow-Boyle-Paquette

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Killorn - Filppula - Callahan
Morrow - Boyle - Brown
???? - Stamkos - ????

Obviously I'm joking, just really pissed right now, lol.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why is Kucherov in the top 6? He's been the worst forward this series, Namestnikov wasn't expected to do much anyway and Paquette is a grinder so no surprise they aren't doing well. Kucherov hasn't done **** out there and bringing down his line.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I posted this lineup change in the GDT, anyone Think it would be Worth a try or is there Another lineup that could work:

Drouin - Stamkos - Kucherov
Palat - Johnson - Callahan
Killorn - Filppula - Boyle
Morrow - Paquette - Brown

I definitely agree with swapping Boyle and Paquette. Boyle's been very good, so move him on up. With Paquette, last year in the playoffs he hit everything that moved. Right now he's not playing up to his Dump Truck name. Maybe putting him on the 4th will get him to focus on the physical game he can bring. We could use that type of play, and maybe it helps him too.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Why is Kucherov in the top 6? He's been the worst forward this series, Namestnikov wasn't expected to do much anyway and Paquette is a grinder so no surprise they aren't doing well. Kucherov hasn't done **** out there and bringing down his line.

I must agree. He's really been struggling out there. It'd require breaking up the TKO line though. I think we're mostly ok with that now!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the main thing is putting KFC back together. Right now we have exactly one line that's a serious threat to score. Mike Babcock eats that kind of challenge for breakfast. But if we can turn that into three threatening lines, or even two lines plus a Stamkos line, the Wings will struggle to match up with it.

Aside from speed, what do we always say our biggest strength is? Depth. Well, that goes out the window when our 3rd line is 90/51/13 and the Stamkos line looks burnt out and predictable.

I have faith KFC would be effective. TKO is in tough every shift because the Wings, let's not forget, were the first team who figured out who our real threat is, all the way back in November. You would think that would free Stamkos up to do some damage, but apparently his broken leg gave him brain damage because he looks like he can't remember how to play hockey. Well fine, let them check Stamkos off too. We still have enough talent to form two more lines that should be able to produce.

Maybe Game 3 was a blessing in disguise, because there's no way Coop can return to a third line that, every time you realize they're next, it gives you that same feeling you get when you realize your girlfriend is about to go on her period.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the main thing is putting KFC back together. Right now we have exactly one line that's a serious threat to score. Mike Babcock eats that kind of challenge for breakfast. But if we can turn that into three threatening lines, or even two lines plus a Stamkos line, the Wings will struggle to match up with it.

Aside from speed, what do we always say our biggest strength is? Depth. Well, that goes out the window when our 3rd line is 90/51/13 and the Stamkos line looks burnt out and predictable.

I have faith KFC would be effective. TKO is in tough every shift because the Wings, let's not forget, were the first team who figured out who our real threat is, all the way back in November. You would think that would free Stamkos up to do some damage, but apparently his broken leg gave him brain damage because he looks like he can't remember how to play hockey. Well fine, let them check Stamkos off too. We still have enough talent to form two more lines that should be able to produce.

Maybe Game 3 was a blessing in disguise, because there's no way Coop can return to a third line that, every time you realize they're next, it gives you that same feeling you get when you realize your girlfriend is about to go on her period.

After Stamkos performance last night, want to keep the guys who are having a very good series far away from him. It was bad, we worried about chemistry or Stamkos having a poor game, but last night he literally brought down his line-mates, which is crazy. I think KFC is the way to go, and then have TKO. Stamkos' line will be a decoy line, and if he is still playing bad, well at least the opponents top D will be focused up there, and it will give an opportunity for KFC to put up some offense. If you think about it, the 2 goals that top line produced were from efforts from Cally and Killer, Stamkos got a secondary assist on the goal in Game 2 which i still don't know why since Cally had stolen the puck from Detroit which later led to the Killorn goal. Getting technical here, but you know what I mean. Also anytime KFC was together it produced a great shift. I think Stamkos has spent more time in the box than in the offensive zone. lol.

Anyway, Just think we can kill them with high cholesterol by using KFC. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad