Line Combos: 2014-15 Lineups - Part II

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Stamkos with Drouin and Palat. That should send a message that 1)We broke up TKO to help you (even though they haven't been great this series either) and 2)You really need to get your ass in gear, Captain. I understand people want Stammer on the left dot for the PP, and I'm not saying to avoid that at all, but we shouldn't think that'll suddenly wake him up. He needs to play like he WANTS to be the C.

Also, Hedman is not really doing anything to create offense. It'd really help the team if he did. Stralman was definitely trying last night, without any success, but he simply isn't as offensively skilled as Victor. That's been the story most of this season, to me.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Stamkos with Drouin and Palat. That should send a message that 1)We broke up TKO to help you (even though they haven't been great this series either) and 2)You really need to get your ass in gear, Captain. I understand people want Stammer on the left dot for the PP, and I'm not saying to avoid that at all, but we shouldn't think that'll suddenly wake him up. He needs to play like he WANTS to be the C.

Also, Hedman is not really doing anything to create offense. It'd really help the team if he did. Stralman was definitely trying last night, without any success, but he simply isn't as offensively skilled as Victor. That's been the story most of this season, to me.

Hedman created one of our best scoring chances last game (and probably our best at Even Strength), and had the second best chance on the PP when he hit the post. We allowed 21 shots last game, and total over three games we've allowed 59 - which is less than 20 a game.

Any hate Hedman gets is incredibly misplaced. He's been a rock back there and has jumped into the rush plenty. The forwards are the ones that need to get crap for the lack of scoring - not the D.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Hedman created one of our best scoring chances last game (and probably our best at Even Strength), and had the second best chance on the PP when he hit the post. We allowed 21 shots last game, and total over three games we've allowed 59 - which is less than 20 a game.

Any hate Hedman gets is incredibly misplaced. He's been a rock back there and has jumped into the rush plenty. The forwards are the ones that need to get crap for the lack of scoring - not the D.

Yes, I forgot about that post, and they've been good on D, you're right of course, but when the forwards aren't good, it'd be helpful if the D could put some in.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

He's been solid but he hasn't stepped his game up like you need your #1 dman to do.

In the Chicago-Nashville triple OT game, Josi, Jones, Ellis and Keith were amazing to watch, I haven't seen Hedman play anywhere close to that level yet.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He's been solid but he hasn't stepped his game up like you need your #1 dman to do.

In the Chicago-Nashville triple OT game, Josi, Jones, Ellis and Keith were amazing to watch, I haven't seen Hedman play anywhere close to that level yet.

Maybe it's because Sustr and Nesterov are our #1 D and they've been carrying Hedman and Stralman.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Maybe it's because Sustr and Nesterov are our #1 D and they've been carrying Hedman and Stralman.

I would not quite go that far, but I agree to an extent. Stralman busted his butt to create offense in game 3, and he did get some chances for us out of it but none went it. Hedman's basically been in the same boat.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Killorn - Flip - Callahan
Paquette - Stamkos - Drouin
Morrow - Boyle - Brown

What do you think?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Drouin - Stamkos - X
Killorn - Filppula - Callahan
Boyle - Paquette - Brown

7D

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Drouin - Stamkos - X
Boyle - Paquette - Brown

7D

So...

Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan/Kucherov
Boyle - Paquette - Brown

Makes sense, since those two guys don't kill penalties, give them the extra shift on the top line.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So...

Drouin - Stamkos - Callahan/Kucherov
Boyle - Paquette - Brown

Makes sense, since those two guys don't kill penalties, give them the extra shift on the top line.

I'd throw Brown in there sometimes too. I think they'd make a very strong north-south line with Drouin doing a bit of east-west, but at high speed.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd throw Brown in there sometimes too. I think they'd make a very strong north-south line with Drouin doing a bit of east-west, but at high speed.

Regardless of who we put on with Stamkos, if he keeps playing below his expectations, it won't matter, at least double shifting guys, we can get other lines going as well without having to put all our eggs in one basket. I loved how Cally matched up with Smith last game. KFC will have that opportunity to score since they are not going against Detroit's top pairing, or top Defensive line.

Anyway, practice at 1pm today, curious to see what happens.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It was very telling that when we needed to score and Coop shortened the bench, it was TKO only taking one shift off.

It's pretty clear to anyone with eyes that not only is Stamkos ineffective, he's actually an active detriment. Putting him with Palat and Kuch for a few shifts did nothing - he was still turning the puck over like crazy. He needs to take a long look in the mirror.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It was very telling that when we needed to score and Coop shortened the bench, it was TKO only taking one shift off.

It's pretty clear to anyone with eyes that not only is Stamkos ineffective, he's actually an active detriment. Putting him with Palat and Kuch for a few shifts did nothing - he was still turning the puck over like crazy. He needs to take a long look in the mirror.

His ice time is down. More than any coach I've ever seen, Coop tends to hold his cards tight to his chest (even with his moves) until the chips are down. Then you really get to see what he thinks. And we're seeing Johnson and Palat getting boosted minutes, mostly at Stamkos's expense right now. Stammer is something like 4th/5th among forwards in minutes.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Coop had Killer and Cally with Johnson for a couple of shifts, which made sense since those guys were the most consistent this series before the goals were scored. He then had KFC out there a bit as well.

Coop might have to bench Stamkos in favor of other guys who are playing their hearts out, it's the only way we are going to win.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I think you separate the TKO and Stamkos line in the rotation. Put KFC in after TKO and double shift Palat.

Palat - Johnson - Kuch
Killorn - Flip - Cally
Palat - Stamkos - Drouin
Paquette - Boyle - Brown

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I think you separate the TKO and Stamkos line in the rotation. Put KFC in after TKO and double shift Palat.

Palat - Johnson - Kuch
Killorn - Flip - Cally
Palat - Stamkos - Drouin
Paquette - Boyle - Brown

I like the idea but you can't double-shift a guy indefinitely. Otherwise, I love that idea because it's what I've been saying for a couple of days:nod:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I like the idea but you can't double-shift a guy indefinitely. Otherwise, I love that idea because it's what I've been saying for a couple of days:nod:

The strategy is good though. Especially when you consider Drouin seems equally capable at either wing. If we play Drouin-Stamkos-X, we can play whoever's got the hot hand, whoever's freshest, whatever, with them.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

Palat - Johnson - Kuch
Killorn - Flip - Cally
Palat - Stamkos - Drouin
Paquette - Boyle - Brown

I can get behind this for sure...and double shift both Palat and Callahan.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
For game 6 I'd go with:

Stamkos - Boyle - Drouin
Morrow - Paquette - Brown

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Nesterov
Carle - Coburn

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Drouin - Stamkos - Boyle

There you go Cooper, your lineup for game 6, you are welcome.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For game 6 I'd go with:

Stamkos - Boyle - Drouin

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Nesterov
Carle - Coburn

Vote of approval. Kills five birds with one stone.

Bird 1: Stamkos on 3rd line.
Bird 2: Drouin gets into the line up.
Bird 3: Stamkos/Drouin.
Bird 4: Stamkos/Drouin get a defensively responsible C.
Bird 5: Paquette back at C.

Unfortunately, in reality, we're going to see 90/51/13 again because Coop's magic 8 ball has a feeling. I think he may have borrowed said magic 8 ball from Ryan Malone, for what it's worth.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Scratch Stamkos, seriously. It's not just that he's not an asset, he's an active liability most of the time. We're just hoping he doesn't turn it over or get a dumb penalty.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I can't overlook the fact that Cooper destroyed the 90-51-13 line, only to bring it back today. What on earth is going through his head when he thinks "gee, this is a productive unit to keep sending out there"...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad