Speculation: 2014-15 Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Notice the part where you bolded sample size in my quote. Sample size can effect stats drastically, which is why I brought it up, even though it hurt my argument. In this case, neither Heatley nor Nino played anywhere near large enough stints with Koivu and Parise to be able to draw conclusions from stats.

Using just those stats, that means Fontaine should be the front-runner for first line this year. He scored a goal in his only game with Koivu and Parise and looked great!

I said it was a fun fact. Not a particularly relevant one due to Nino's sample size.

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
Capgeek says Schroeder needs waivers so I think Zucker will be down in Iowa at the start of the season to see if Schroeder can work on the third line. If he doesn't, I'd guess they send him down and someone else picks him up.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Capgeek says Schroeder needs waivers so I think Zucker will be down in Iowa at the start of the season to see if Schroeder can work on the third line. If he doesn't, I'd guess they send him down and someone else picks him up.

Schroeder is on two way contract.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
2 way contracts don't have anything to do with if they need waivers or not...it has to do with salary. 2 way means they get paid less in the minors if they're down there. 1 way players get paid the same regardless of where they play.

Waiver eligibility is determined by a few things, mainly by NHL service time. Schroeder requires waivers.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Granlund is higher risk/reward.

Koivu is pretty much guaranteed 60-70 points if he can stay healthy for 82 games.

Personally, I'd go with Koivu.

tomthestone*

Who do you guys think will be the better fantasy hockey option between Granlund and Koivu?
G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, Sog

Koivu is a much safer bet to put up a respectable season -- pretty much a guaranteed 50 points (at least) over 65-75 games played, which would make him a top 100 forward in almost any format. That said, Granlund should come with a significantly cheaper price tag on draft day.

So it really comes down to whether you're in a league with Minnesota hockey fans or not. NHL.com and several other outlets have Granny pegged on a breakout season, but he shouldn't cost more than a late pick (round 12-15) or a couple bucks out of the old auction budget in a league that isn't full of Wild fans who know how sick Granlund's skills are. If Granlund makes it through the majority of the season healthy, I think he presents better value.

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
Thanks for your opinions guys, I'll keep that in mind during my draft.

I still think I'll go with Granlund this year, but may snag Koivu too based on your comments. When I do mock drafts on Yahoo they're usually both available late in the draft.

From what I've seen Granlund and Pominville have great chemistry, and if Vanek can mesh with them, which shouldn't be too hard given his history with Pominville, that line would be scary offensively.

tsmbain

Jun 6, 2010

I think Schroeder easily clears waivers. He won't be claimed. If he is claimed, so what.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
Top 2 line preference

What top two lines would you rather see:

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Vanek-Granlund-Pominville

or

Vanek-Koivu-Coyle
Parise-Granlund-Pominville

I personally like the first option. A very good two way line who can play in any situation. Alot depends on who Vanek meshes with, but I like Parise and Koivu playing together. Parise has shown he can produce wuth anybody.

TheSauceBoss

May 14, 2010
We already had a Coyle vs Neid thread thats essentially the same thing. Coyle won't see the first line.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
If it were me...

Vanek - Granlund - Pominville
Parise - Koivu - Zucker
Nino - Haula - Coyle

What it will be.

Vanek - Koivu - Coyle
Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Nino - Haula - Cooke

tomthestone*

If it were me...

Parise - Koivu - Zucker
Nino - Haula - Coyle

What it will be.

Vanek - Koivu - Coyle
Nino - Haula - Cooke

Zucker playing his off wing, in the top six AND ahead of both Nino & Coyle?

[mod]

[mod part 2]

Last edited by a moderator:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Fletcher & Yeo have high hopes for Zucker, and from their recent comments, it's obvious they see speed as one of our team's strengths... I don't think it's out of the question seeing Zucker on the 2nd line this season if he improves other aspects of his game.

I think the great thing about TP's suggested lines is having Niederreiter & Coyle together... That third line would catch so many teams off-guard because they're defending the big names in our top-6.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If it were me...

Parise - Koivu - Zucker
Nino - Haula - Coyle

What it will be.

Vanek - Koivu - Coyle
Nino - Haula - Cooke

I've supported this lineup since post 3 of this thread, and still do.

It just makes a lot of sense. We know Zucker can score, but has some defense issues. Put him with our two most dependable defensive forwards, that also happen to be puck possession machines.

In my mind, its our strongest top 9 configuration. 3 lines, you can run out against anyone.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i think i get painted as a Zucker hater on here by some people but it isn't true. it's not "defense" problems, it's play away from the puck. it's more like it's taking him longer to figure out the system than it is for everyone else and he doesn't know what he should be doing when the puck isn't on his stick. That is fixable. He's a hard worker, he's motivated. No room for him in the top six last year and they don't want him in a bottom six role if he's having trouble away from the puck--if line 3 is another scoring line this year he has a chance at the top 9 in some capacity i think. At least as the first call up. putting him with defensively responsible forwards will help zucker, yes, but it will drag on the other two more than a guy with no offense that knows what he's supposed to be doing on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad