Speculation: 2014-15 Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Now that free agency has shaken out exactly the way we expected, I think it's about time for the annual guess-at-the-line-combos thread.

As is tradition. A great day for Minnesota, and therefore the world.

Russo's first guess to open camp is:

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Vanek - Koivu - Coyle
Cooke - Haula - Niño
Zucker - Brodziak - Fontaine

Personally I think it's just gonna be too tempting to put Vanek with Granlund and Pominville, both because of past chemistry and just general play style. That would give us:

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Vanek - Granlund - Pominville
Cooke - Haula - Niño
Zucker - Brodziak - Fontaine

First line is the best two-way line in the league. Second line, especially with sheltered minutes, could score 100 goals. Third and fourth lines are very balanced, if maybe a little bit offensive. Each has a shutdown veteran guy (Cooke and Brodziak), a guy who will just brutally burn weak defenses on the transition (Haula and Zucker), and a guy with a solid shot who can score some from pretty much anywhere in the zone (Nino or Fontaine).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Vanek/Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Parise/Vanek - Koivu - Coyle/Nino
Zucker/Cooke - Haula - Nino/Coyle
Cooke/Whoever - Brodziak - Fontaine

I'd really like to see Zucker come in and win that 3rd line LW spot; if we have to move Cooke up late in games for defensive purposes, then so be it, but I don't like the idea of him (Zucker) on the 4th line.

I'd go Vanek/Granlund/Pominville and Parise/Koivu together and let Coyle & Nino have an honest competition for the open RW spot.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
My thoughts took a ride on the Crazy train earlier and I was thinking

Vanek-Granlund-Pommer
Parise-Koivu-Zucker
Nino-Haula-Coyle
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine/Bulmer/Random UFA

Parise and Koivu are good enough defensively to make up for Zucker's lack of defense. His job can be to float high in the dzone for quick breakout passes and put shots on net.

Sure looks like 4 lines we could roll against most anyone to me.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
Vanek-Granlund-Pominville
Parise-Koivu-Coyle/Nino
Zucker/Keranen-Haula-Coyle/Nino
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine/Bulmer/Graovac/Gabriel

I don't want us to add any more forwards, I would rather just let players battle it out in camp for open spots.

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Ballard-Folin/Blum

I have a feeling we will bring in a big defenseman to round out the group a bit better but if not that's what we should roll with.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Yeah, I reckon it's quite close to what Jan had in mind.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle/Nino
Zucker - Haula - Nino/Coyle
Cooke - Brodziak - Fontaine
Sutter, Veilleux

There's also an outside chance that guys like Keränen, Bulmer. Gabriel, Brassart, Mitchell or Graovac could earn themselves a roster spot from the camp. Hell, I wouldn't count Phillips completely out either, if he can play the wing.

Then there's defense. Eeesh, we speculated this earlier along with Sharppi, and the real problem is that we simply can't play Brodin with Spurgeon (too small) or Scandella (both lefties and simply haven't looked good together).

So this is how I'd do it:

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
Ballard - Folin

Ballard can technically jump into a top-4 role in case of injuries, he did look good at the start of the year but is also mistake and injury prone. It would allow us to take Suter off the PP, as we could simply use Ballard and Scandella or Brodin as the lefties on the point.

There is also a possibility that Oloffson, Blum, Bickel or Dumba earn themselves a roster spot from the camp.

Overall, I'd use already established combinations as much as possible. Suter - Brodin and Scandella - Spurgeon have a lot of experience from playing together, the 1st line (as we know) is very capable on both sides of the puck and the 4th line looked good together last year. Second line could be downright explosive with both Vanek and Granlund having good chemistry with Pominville, and the 3rd line would be deadly on the transition.

That would give us a two-way first line that can be used in all situations, an offensive 2nd line, a lightning fast 3rd line with some physicality in Nino (and occasionally Zucker, too) and a defensive 4th line that can score given the opportunity but would mostly share heavy minutes with the 1st.

In general, I like this going forward, although I fully expect Fletcher making some deals before we see them hit the ice. The goaltending is still a question mark, but it would have to involve pretty much Bäckström being traded AND us bringing in a proven backup/1B.

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
Parise-koivu-coyle. (It worked last year it will get better next year)
Vanek-granlund-pom (Pom and vanek had chemistry before,granlund is a perfect set up guy for them)
Zucker-haula-nino (let the kids roll and kill the other team with speed)
Cooke-brodziak-Fontaine (perfect shut down line)

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
1AIai Vanek-Granlund-Pominville You cannot possibly Break up Granlund and Pominville after the train started rolling. Not to mention chemistry with Vanek already.
1AIaii Parise-Koivu-Coyle I'd like to put Nino here, but we all know Yeo won't let that happen.
2 Zucker-Haula-Nino So much untapped skill on this line, along with incredible speed. This could be the best third line in the league.
4 Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine Solid grind line with potential to pot some goals

Suter-Folin
Brodin-Spurgeon
Blum-Scandella
Ballard

Kuemper
Harding
Backstrom

PP1A
Nino-Granlund-Pominville
Spurgeon-Vanek

PP1a
Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Brodin-Folin

PK1
Haula-Cooke
Suter-Brodin

PK2
Brodziak-Fontaine
Spurgeon-Scandella

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
1AIai Vanek-Granlund-Pominville You cannot possibly Break up Granlund and Pominville after the train started rolling. Not to mention chemistry with Vanek already.
1AIaii Parise-Koivu-Coyle I'd like to put Nino here, but we all know Yeo won't let that happen.
2 Zucker-Haula-Nino So much untapped skill on this line, along with incredible speed. This could be the best third line in the league.

Suter-Folin
Brodin-Spurgeon
Blum-Scandella
Ballard

Kuemper
Harding
Backstrom

PP1A
Nino-Granlund-Pominville
Spurgeon-Vanek

PP1a
Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Brodin-Folin

PK1
Haula-Cooke
Suter-Brodin

PK2
Brodziak-Fontaine
Spurgeon-Scandella

You definetly want Vanek net front, not the point. He's made his career there.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities

Suter-Folin
Brodin-Spurgeon
Blum-Scandella
Ballard

Kuemper
Harding
Backstrom

PP1A
Nino-Granlund-Pominville
Spurgeon-Vanek

PP1a
Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Brodin-Folin

PK1
Haula-Zucker
Suter-Brodin

PK2
Brodziak-Cooke
Spurgeon-Scandella

Fixed. Haula/Zucker on the powerplay has a chance to be DYNAMIC. Their speed and ability to pressure the point could be special and chip in 5-10 shorties a year.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
Vanek | Granlund | Pominville
Parise | Koivu | Coyle
Keranen | Haula | Niederreiter
Cooke | Brodziak | Fontaine

Suter | Brodin
Scadella | Spurgeon
Ballard | Folin

Kuemper
Harding
Backstrom

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Starting lineup:

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Vanek-Koivu-Nino
Cooke-Haula-Coyle
Zucker/Keränen-Brodz/(trade X)-Fontaine

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Ballard-Folin

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Vanek-Koivu-Nino
Cooke-Haula-Coyle
Zucker/Fonzie-Brodziak-Keränen/Fonzie

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Ballard-Blum

Kuemper
Bäckström

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
In every which way, I'd say we're pretty deep in offense :handclap:

If Keränen or Zucker pan out we could roll three really dangerous lines :nod:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
In every which way, I'd say we're pretty deep in offense :handclap:

If Keränen or Zucker pan out we could roll three really dangerous lines :nod:

Looks good on paper, but we need this line-up to produce 30-40 more goals than last season. Vanek should help considerably, but for this team to take the next step Coyle, Nino and Granny ALL must increase their offensive numbers as well.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Vanek-Koivu-Nino
Cooke-Haula-Coyle
Zucker/Fonzie-Brodziak-Keränen/Fonzie

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Ballard-Blum

Kuemper
Bäckström

I like this lineup, and the versatility that comes with it. Parise and Vanek could switch lines if need be; Coyle and Nino too. I really hope we see Zucker take that next step this year and I hope Yeo gives him the opportunity to do so. A Zucker-Haula-Coyle third line would be killer.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Parise-Koivu-Coyle will hopefully get the tough minutes and Vanek-Granny-Poms should get some great matchups against softer lines. I see that Vanek-Granny-Poms line scoring alot this year!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'd like to see:

Granlund is an elite passer, Pommer can shoot and make some plays, Vanek can shoot and drive the net for rebounds. Give them some easy zone starts and we should see some good chemistry among them too.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Three hard working players who will win the possession battle and at least one who can score. I don't think they will put up big numbers, but you deploy this line against the other teams' top scorers to frustrate them and shut them down.

Zucker - Haula - Nino
This is a skilled third line that should be able to contribute offensively no problem. Defensively there might be a question mark, and if that's an issue you can swap Coyle and Nino. At home, Yeo should be able to manage the matchups to exploit, but if it's an issue make the change and you have two good defensive players on each line.

This is your defensive line, Cooke and Brodz will be killing penalties, Fontaine can add some offense and scoring as well. Just great depth.

The defense, I want to see if they will sign another player first. I think it's okay right now, but the third pairing is a disaster. Ballard is not good defensively (including his possession numbers) and Folin has no professional experience.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd like to see:

Granlund is an elite passer, Pommer can shoot and make some plays, Vanek can shoot and drive the net for rebounds. Give them some easy zone starts and we should see some good chemistry among them too.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Three hard working players who will win the possession battle and at least one who can score. I don't think they will put up big numbers, but you deploy this line against the other teams' top scorers to frustrate them and shut them down.

Zucker - Haula - Nino
This is a skilled third line that should be able to contribute offensively no problem. Defensively there might be a question mark, and if that's an issue you can swap Coyle and Nino. At home, Yeo should be able to manage the matchups to exploit, but if it's an issue make the change and you have two good defensive players on each line.

This is your defensive line, Cooke and Brodz will be killing penalties, Fontaine can add some offense and scoring as well. Just great depth.

The defense, I want to see if they will sign another player first. I think it's okay right now, but the third pairing is a disaster. Ballard is not good defensively (including his possession numbers) and Folin has no professional experience.

Good lines. I expect something very similar.

As to your last point, how are McBain's possession numbers for the past couple of years? I expect last year to not be that good playing for Buffalo, but he had a couple really good seasons, stats-wise, in Carolina before that.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Good lines. I expect something very similar.

As to your last point, how are McBain's possession numbers for the past couple of years? I expect last year to not be that good playing for Buffalo, but he had a couple really good seasons, stats-wise, in Carolina before that.

Spot on with McBain. Terrible in Buffalo. Fairly decent in Carolina before that.

Playing third pairing in Minnesota, as opposed to 2nd in Buffalo we would probably see closer to the carolina numbers.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Time for these again, lets see what the random.org says!

Vanek-Pominville-Bäckström
Cooke-Nino-Ballard
Yeo-Brodin-Brodziak
Koivu-Suter-Coyle
Parise

Fontaine-Harding
Kuemper-Bulmer
Spurgeon-Zucker
Haula

Blum
Folin
Granlund

Coach Scandella

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

Cooke-Nino-Ballard
Yeo-Brodin-Brodziak
Koivu-Suter-Coyle
Parise

Fontaine-Harding
Kuemper-Bulmer
Spurgeon-Zucker
Haula

Blum
Folin
Granlund

Coach Scandella

LUf67YZ.gif

I needed a good laugh this morning and random.org comes through.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Cooke-Nino-Ballard
Yeo-Brodin-Brodziak
Koivu-Suter-Coyle
Parise

Fontaine-Harding
Kuemper-Bulmer
Spurgeon-Zucker
Haula

Blum
Folin
Granlund

Coach Scandella

I wonder if Kuemper can skate well... Maybe he's our answer at third pairing...

I bet he'd block a lot of shots...:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad