Speculation: 2014-15 Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
i think i get painted as a Zucker hater on here by some people but it isn't true. it's not "defense" problems, it's play away from the puck. it's more like it's taking him longer to figure out the system than it is for everyone else and he doesn't know what he should be doing when the puck isn't on his stick. That is fixable. He's a hard worker, he's motivated. No room for him in the top six last year and they don't want him in a bottom six role if he's having trouble away from the puck--if line 3 is another scoring line this year he has a chance at the top 9 in some capacity i think. At least as the first call up. putting him with defensively responsible forwards will help zucker, yes, but it will drag on the other two more than a guy with no offense that knows what he's supposed to be doing on the ice.

Zucker's problem is, Yeo. For what ever reason he is not either hearing Yeo or is unclear on what the staff want from him.

His AHL fight. Maybe the message was go the Iowa and worh hard and do those little things. So he drops the gloves and mobs a guy that just to some liberties on a teamate.

I am sure the message was meant more like. Play your game and keep shooting and scoring but use the speed to create a turn over and break up a 2:1 rush. Not goon it up.

Coyle Yeo same page.

Nino and Zucker not. Nino is far more talented that his numbers kept him in the line up.

Zucker could be the Wilds Carlos Gomez. Gomez is striking out more in MIL but his HRs are up and so is his BA. Brewers just decided to take the good with the bad and are living with it. Gardy tried to turn him into something he was not.

I think Schroeder will compete for the third line too. Same drafts as Haula. Not terrible NHL numbers. Two tough coaches to break thorugh with, not to mention two different coaches last two years.

Schroeder, Nino and Haula could be a tough line. Has the 2 centermen Yeo likes for draws and all three have speed and can pass shoot score. Not overly physical but postition well and can turn a D zone possesion into a 2:1 into a goal. All three have a chip on their shoulder and are out to prove somehting.

tomthestone*

i think i get painted as a Zucker hater on here by some people but it isn't true. it's not "defense" problems, it's play away from the puck. it's more like it's taking him longer to figure out the system than it is for everyone else and he doesn't know what he should be doing when the puck isn't on his stick. That is fixable. He's a hard worker, he's motivated. No room for him in the top six last year and they don't want him in a bottom six role if he's having trouble away from the puck--if line 3 is another scoring line this year he has a chance at the top 9 in some capacity i think. At least as the first call up. putting him with defensively responsible forwards will help zucker, yes, but it will drag on the other two more than a guy with no offense that knows what he's supposed to be doing on the ice.

This post makes a ton of sense. If there wasn't room in the top six last year, Vanek's arrival pretty much eliminates Zucker's chances of cracking the top two lines out of the gate. As far as putting Zucker with Koivu and Parise, I think Zucker plays similar enough game to Parise that I wouldn't want them on the same line. But having Zucker waiting in the wings in case Zach is forced to miss 5-6 games? I like having a "poor man's Parise" ready to plug the temporary gap. That's where Zucker presents the most value IMO.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Well, that's interesting. Does this mean something like:

Vanek - Parise - Pominville
Granlund - Koivu - Niederreiter
Zucker - Haula - Coyle
Cooke - Brodziak - Fontaine

?

Because if it does, holy crap.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

away with you, offseason. Away!

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Parise switching to center would be a huge plot twist, indeed.

Koivu, Parise, Granlund, and Haula down the middle would be amazing.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would bet money that those three aren't going to play together regularly during the season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That's what I thought at first too. Then it dawned on me that all the centers are in MN already and we know at least Mikko was at the rink too. Now I'm confused.

Wouldn't read to much into a game of shinny at Braemer.

Death of Rats

Jan 28, 2012
Blashyrkh
A bit off topic, but what our lines would look like today if DR was still manning the shotgun?
Edit: Something like top six made out of 5 third liners and one second line tweener and bottom six made out of career ahl'ers?

Last edited:

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
This post makes a ton of sense. If there wasn't room in the top six last year, Vanek's arrival pretty much eliminates Zucker's chances of cracking the top two lines out of the gate. As far as putting Zucker with Koivu and Parise, I think Zucker plays similar enough game to Parise that I wouldn't want them on the same line. But having Zucker waiting in the wings in case Zach is forced to miss 5-6 games? I like having a "poor man's Parise" ready to plug the temporary gap. That's where Zucker presents the most value IMO.

While I fully understand that Zucker is always going to be a far more offensive player than defensive, if Zucker could put the work in to become responsible defensively I could see him bumping Cooke down to a 4th line/heavy PK role and taking the 3rd line LW spot.

I believe this has a realistic chance of happening for a few reasons. One being that the idea of having Zucker and Haula's speed on the same line with Nino/Coyle's size, strength, and play down low is pretty damn intriguing. Also both Zucker and Haula play bigger than their size in terms of being physical with hits, going in front of the net, and the corners which is huge for smaller players especially on a checking line. Finally, Yeo would still have the option of matching a cooke-brodziak-almond/fontaine line against the opponents top lines when necessary.

It would essentially be three scoring lines with the 4th line functioning as a shutdown/matchup line. Brodziak and Cooke would be used heavily on the PK unit.

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Vanek-Koivu-Coyle/Nino
Zucker-Haula-Coyle/Nino
Cooke-Brodziak-Almond/Fontaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad