2014-15 Iowa Wild, Quad City Mallards, & Alaska Aces Thread

Noma

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Somebody explain>>

Iowa winning late..Ruslan Fefdorenko on ice for empty netter..team not taking play offs... people wonder why Minny does poor job of developing... Ruslan is 36....

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Somebody explain>>

Iowa winning late..Ruslan Fefdorenko on ice for empty netter..team not taking play offs... people wonder why Minny does poor job of developing... Ruslan is 36....

What?

It's really, really good to mix veterans with young players as they can teach the young players how to prepare for the NHL.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
The Alaska Aces, three time Kelly Cup champions, announced today that the team has signed free agent Erik Higby and defenseman Scott Warner.

Higby, 25, skated for four seasons with Northern Michigan University (NCAA) and earned 59 points and a +12 rating in 128 games. The 5-foot-9, 179 pound forward earned a career-high 12 assists and 21 points in 35 games as a 2012-13 junior. He skated in training camp this season with the San Antonio Rampage of the American Hockey League.

Warner, 26, suited up in 129 career games in college with the University of Alaska-Anchorage (NCAA) and Army and earned 40 points (14g-26) while serving as captain of the Seawolves as a 2011-12 junior. He returns for his second stint with the Aces this season and has one assist and a +4 rating in three games.

With UAA as a junior, Warner earned a career-high 15 points and 13 assists, skating alongside current Aces defensemen Quinn Sproule, Brad Gorham and forward Tyler Currier.

Warner made his pro debut with the Stockton Thunder in the 2013 Kelly Cup Playoffs, suiting up in one game.

Signings from Sunday.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
The Iowa Wild have added yet another experienced NHLer to the mix, agreeing to terms with journeyman blueliner Steve McCarthy.

A first-round pick (23rd overall) at the 1999 NHL Entry Draft, McCarthy spent time in Chicago, Vancouver and Atlanta during his 14-year playing career. His best season came during the 2005-06 campaign, when he scored a career-high nine goals and 16 points while splitting time between the Canucks and Thrashers.

His most recent NHL season came in 2007-08 (though he did attend Calgary’s training camp in 2012), and he’s spent the last few years playing abroad in Russia, Switzerland and Finland.

McCarthy, 34, now joins a Wild team that already features 36-year-old Ruslan Fedotenko, who signed with the club back in late January.

AHL move.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Alaska Moves:

ACES GET LUNDSTROM, MARKOVIC

The Alaska Aces, three time Kelly Cup champions, have signed rookie free agent forward Michael Markovic and have been assigned goaltender Niklas Lundstrom from the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League.

Markovic will wear #13 and is expected to suit up for the Aces tonight, 5:05 p.m. (KFQD/ECHL.TV) against the host Colorado Eagles at Budweiser Events Center.

Markovic, 25, skated with the University of Toronto (CIS) for five seasons and amassed 139 games with 110 points and 124 penalty minutes. The 5-foot-10, 180 pound forward was captain of the program last season, when he achieved career-highs and led the club with 32 points, 15 goals and 17 assists in 28 games.

Lundstrom, 22, is 13-12-2 with a 3.21 goals-against-average in 27 games with the Aces this season, also earning six saves in 14 minutes of action with Chicago. He was selected by the Blues in the fifth round (132nd overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and suited up in two games last season with the Swedish Elite League’s AIK, additionally posting a shutout and 2.86 goals-against-average in 24 games with Sodertalje SK of HockeyAllsvenskan (Sweden).

The 6-foot-2, 187 pound goaltender appeared in one preseason game for the Blues in September and helped Sweden earn a silver medal at the 2013 World Junior Championships. In three tournament appearances, he went 2-1 with a 1.60 goals-against-average and .944 save percentage.

The Aces are currently carrying three goaltenders (Lundstrom, Troy Redmann, Aaron Crandall) on the roster. Lundstrom has been placed on reserve.

ARCHAMBAULT, LUNDSTROM NAMED ECHL FANTASY TEAM REPRESENTATIVES
The ECHL announced on Wednesday that Olivier Archambault and Lundstrom have been selected to participate in the 2014-15 ECHL Fantasy Team, presented by the MeiGray Group. Fans had the opportunity to vote on ECHL.com for one player on each ECHL member team’s ballot to help select the 2014-15 Fantasy Team.

Archambault (currently on recall with the Iowa Wild of the AHL) has been selected to wear a special ECHL Fantasy Team jersey, while Lundstrom will wear a specially-designed “Golden Goalie†jersey on Friday, Mar. 13 when the Aces host Colorado at Sullivan Arena. Each of the Fantasy Team skater and MeigGray goaltender jerseys will be available for bid through The MeiGray Group. Jerseys will be available for bid starting on Tuesday, March 17. In the event that the winner for a team is unable to play in the preselected game, the second-place vote-getter from that team will wear the special jersey.

WALTERS COMING BACK

Feb 26th, 2015

The Alaska Aces, three time Kelly Cup champions, have been assigned left wing Ryan Walters from the Iowa Wild of the American Hockey League.

Walters is joining the Aces on a five-game road trip, who return to play tomorrow at Colorado, starting at 5:05 p.m. (KFQD/ECHL.TV).

Walters, 23, has 23 points (10g-13a) and four penalty minutes in 26 games with the Aces while leading ECHL rookies with three shorthanded goals. He also carries eight points (1g-7a) and six penalty minutes in 20 games with Iowa this season.

The 6-foot, 190 pound forward previously furnished a four-year college career at the University of Nebraska-Omaha (NCAA) and collected 134 points (50g-84a) and a +33 rating in 152 career games. He was named a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award (Top Collegiate Player) as a 2012-13 junior when he led the Mavericks, was tied for second in the nation in points (52) and was second in goals (22) in 39 games.

The native of Rosemount, Minn. skated with the Minnesota Wild in the 2014 NHL Prospects Tournament in Traverse City, Mich. and posted six points (3g-3a) in four games. He was signed by the Iowa Wild as a free agent on Sept. 24, 2014 to a one-way AHL contract.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Any opinions on Zack Phillips? Bust or does he one day become a bottom 6 player?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Iowa just scored 16 seconds into the 2nd period to go up 1-0.

Someone brought the puck in along the left side boards and sent a pass to Blum. Blum was open between the dots and one-timed it into the net.

Not sure who the passer was. #18 I think.

Extremely boring game thus far so I haven't been paying much attention.

Puckcrazy51

Feb 28, 2014
Any opinions on Zack Phillips? Bust or does he one day become a bottom 6 player?
After watching him play a lot the past couple of years, I believe he has all the tools to be a very good NHL'er---either a third line winger or second or third line center. However, I do think he needs a change of scenery, which is not uncommon in pro hockey.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Last edited:

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Looks just like an authentic jersey (or replica) that is stitched with likely a fans name.

Why are you looking for authentic Aeros jerseys?

(or is the question who is the team? and that would be the *now* Iowa Wild that moved from Houston to Des Moines and are in their second season of AHL hockey).

Im well aware that the team does not excist and that it is now located in Iowa. I collect gameworns from both teams + wild and was wondering if one of the Rome brothers got a contract here at some point but i couldt find any stats on it andvwas hoping that someone inside here knew something.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Im well aware that the team does not excist and that it is now located in Iowa. I collect gameworns from both teams + wild and was wondering if one of the Rome brothers got a contract here at some point but i couldt find any stats on it andvwas hoping that someone inside here knew something.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Ok, I thought so, I was just confused by the verbiage.

To my knowledge I don't think so I checked eliteprospects too just in case.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
The Alaska Aces, three time Kelly Cup champions, and head coach Rob Murray announced today that the team has acquired defenseman Landon Oslanski from the Missouri Mavericks in exchange for forward Tyler Currier. In addition, defenseman Colten Hayes has been recalled by the Chicago Wolves (AHL) and reassigned to Missouri.

The Alaska Aces, three time Kelly Cup champions, and head coach Rob Murray announced today that the team has acquired left wing Dean Chelios from the Indy Fuel in exchange for defenseman Quinn Sproule.

Chelios, 25, will join the Aces in time for Saturday’s series finale at Sullivan Arena against the Colorado Eagles, starting at 7:15 p.m. Chelios will wear jersey #26.

Defenseman Benjamin Dieude-Fauvel and forward Joe Perry have returned to the Quad City Mallards from the American Hockey League’s Iowa Wild while defenseman Nicholas Rioux has signed a professional tryout agreement with the Wild, the Mallards announced today.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
At this point, I think most of us would be surprised if he spent any meaningful time at the NHL level, at least on this team.

Called it.

Iowa really needs help next year. Our prospect pool is thin, and the terrible performance isn't helping them develop properly.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
The Alaska Aces, three time Kelly Cup champions, and head coach Rob Murray announced today that the team has acquired defenseman Landon Oslanski from the Missouri Mavericks in exchange for forward Tyler Currier. In addition, defenseman Colten Hayes has been recalled by the Chicago Wolves (AHL) and reassigned to Missouri.

The Alaska Aces, three time Kelly Cup champions, and head coach Rob Murray announced today that the team has acquired left wing Dean Chelios from the Indy Fuel in exchange for defenseman Quinn Sproule.

Chelios, 25, will join the Aces in time for Saturday’s series finale at Sullivan Arena against the Colorado Eagles, starting at 7:15 p.m. Chelios will wear jersey #26.

Defenseman Benjamin Dieude-Fauvel and forward Joe Perry have returned to the Quad City Mallards from the American Hockey League’s Iowa Wild while defenseman Nicholas Rioux has signed a professional tryout agreement with the Wild, the Mallards announced today.

I think BDF and Perry are just back here in the QC for the weekend to get some games in. I'm sure they will both be back with Iowa within a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad