2014-15 IIHF World Junior Championship Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Reinhart doesn't really remind me of Bergeron. Bergeron is an elite level NHL skater, Reinhart will be average.

Look at the past Selke winners. Pretty much to a T they have been elite level skaters.

Reinhart will be a solid defender at the next level but I do not think he will ever get to an elite status.

You could argue that Reinhart projects to be better than Bergeron and other Selke winners in several other aspects of his game though. I feel like Reinhart is a very unique and special player, he's not like anyone we've seen really. He's going to break a lot of molds. If there's a guy who technically isn't a super fast, "elite" skater who wins the Selke, for instance, he'll be the guy to do it. He brings so much to the table, in such a unique way, that there's no pigeonholing him.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Day - Friday, January 2 - World Junior Championships - Quarterfinal #1 - United States vs Russia - 1:00 pm ET - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec.

Game Day Page - United States vs Russia - World Junior Championships - Quarterfinal #1- USAHockey.com -
http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/news_article/show/461989?referrer_id=701370

For the second straight year, the United Sttes will meet Russia in the quarterfinals of the IIHF World Junior Championships.
Opening faceoff today is set for 1:10 pm ET and the game can be seen LIVE in the United States on the NHL Network and streamed LIVE on NHL.com.
(LaxSabre - If your in Canada, you can watch the game LIVE on TSN1-TSN3-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSNGO.)
The winner of today’s game advances to play either Finland or Sweden in the semifinals in Toronto on January 4.

Thatcher Demko will start in goal today. He was the United States Player Of The Game on New Year’s Eve vs Canada after making 40 saves in a 5-3 loss.
He is third in the World Junior Championships in goals against average (1.31) and save percentage (.955).
Dylan Larkin of the United States leads the World Junior Championships with five goals and is tied for second in the tournament in points with seven.

United States Line Charts vs Russia - World Junior Quarterfinal #1 - Friday, January 2 - USAHockey.com -
http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0067/9278/LineChartvsRussia_1_2_2015.pdf

Game Notes - United States vs Russia - World Junior Quarterfinal #1 - Friday, January 2 - USAHockey.com -
http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0067/9277/GameNotesvsRussia.Jan2.2015.pdf

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
You could argue that Reinhart projects to be better than Bergeron and other Selke winners in several other aspects of his game though. I feel like Reinhart is a very unique and special player, he's not like anyone we've seen really. He's going to break a lot of molds. If there's a guy who technically isn't a super fast, "elite" skater who wins the Selke, for instance, he'll be the guy to do it. He brings so much to the table, in such a unique way, that there's no pigeonholing him.

Mega Jason Allison

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
World Junior Championships Schedule - Friday, January 2 - Quarterfinals.

1:00 pm ET - United States vs Russia - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec.
TV/Online - United States - LIVE - NHL Network - NHL.com
Canada - LIVE - TSN1-TSN3-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSNGO.

3:00 pm ET - Sweden vs Finland - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.
TV/Online - United States - Tape Delay - Saturday, January 3 - 12:00 am ET-2:00 am ET - NHL Network.
Canada - LIVE - TSN2 - TSN.ca - TSNGO.

5:00 pm ET - Czech Republic vs Slovakia - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec.
TV/Online - United States - LIVE - NHL Network.
Canada - LIVE - TSN1-TSN3-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSNGO.

8:00 pm ET - Canada vs Denmark - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.
TV/Online - United States - LIVE - NHL Network.
Canada - LIVE - TSN1-TSN3-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSNGO -
Pre-Game - LIVE - 7:30 pm ET - TSN1-TSN3-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSNGO

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Reinhart doesn't really remind me of Bergeron. Bergeron is an elite level NHL skater, Reinhart will be average.

Look at the past Selke winners. Pretty much to a T they have been elite level skaters.

Reinhart will be a solid defender at the next level but I do not think he will ever get to an elite status.

I'm curious what you view as elite skating. Because I've never thought of Bergeron as an amazing skater. He's always struck me as a smart player that knows where to be.

I'm not criticizing his skating just never heard him praised (or criticized) for his skating.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Russia scores on 5-on-3 to go up 1-0. USA coach had two forwards and one defenseman on the ice. Seems like strange coaching. And Butcher was the defenseman. Yuck. Does Butcher have compromising pics of this coach?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

If never once watched Bergeron and thought he was an elite skater. Reinhart can be just as good as a skater as him.

Bps21*

Reinhart has received plenty of love for his performance in that game and this tourney. You seem to be making a sport of finding perceived slights against Reinhart.

I didn't write the article. And yet...it exists. That's not a perceived slight. It's an actual one.

ZeroPT*

Eichel has been a disappointment to this point of the tournament for me.

Agreed. It's a miracle he didn't get called on that early boarding. The IIHF is really anal about that kind of stuff

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He has. But he has created a lot of chances... his wingers are just terribad.

Tuch is not terribad. Eichel's problem is he's trying to do too much on his own. His passes are usually an afterthought after he's been unable to break through on his own.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Tuch is not terribad. Eichel's problem is he's trying to do too much on his own. His passes are usually an afterthought after he's been unable to break through on his own.

Touch has been terribad this tournament. Eichel passes an afterthought?.. Guy has delivered countless beauties in the slot from behind the net. Eichel struggles have been from creating chances for himself.. not others. The chances have been there.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Touch has been terribad this tournament. Eichel passes an afterthought?.. Guy has delivered countless beauties in the slot from behind the net. Eichel struggles have been from creating chances for himself.. not others. The chances have been there.

I knew you point to the handful of beauty passes he has made. And miss the fact that the kid is forcing it and has been all tourney.

ZeroPT*

He's trying to walk through like 8 people every shift. Can't do that.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Eichel hasn't had a really good game since Finland. And don't tell me about his goal against Germany. I said good game.

Nobody isn't saying he won't be great. But, for my money, he had a better tourney last year.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I knew you point to the handful of beauty passes he has made. And miss the fact that the kid is forcing it and has been all tourney.

I haven't ignored it. It just doesn't mean he hasn't created chances for his linemates.

I think the fact that I already stated he has been a disappointment overall in the tourney confirms that. The fact that I pointed out that his wingers were bad was a bad move on my part I guess.

Jesus Christ.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Eichel tries to skate by three guys and turns it over, then proceeds to drop pass to the other team. He has been forcing so many plays and trying to be way to cute. I am not even American and it's kinda frustrating to watch, keep it simple and the offense will come.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Eichel and McDavid are both trying to live up to the media hype too much this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad