2014-15 IIHF World Junior Championship Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Unless Eichel gets dramatically better in the dot, I don't see any way he can be taking faceoffs in the NHL next year, he gets his clock cleaned against every center he goes against it seems. reinhart is elite at the dot in juniors and even he couldn't win them in the NHL.

Bps21*

I love the tsn people saying it was an easy empty net for reinhart. He forced the guy over, made him ditch the puck...directly onto his waiting stick for that "easy" goal.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Unless Eichel gets dramatically better in the dot, I don't see any way he can be taking faceoffs in the NHL next year, he gets his clock cleaned against every center he goes against it seems. reinhart is elite at the dot in juniors and even he couldn't win them in the NHL.

Hardly any NHL rookie does anything in the dot anyhow, especially teenagers.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I love the tsn people saying it was an easy empty net for reinhart. He forced the guy over, made him ditch the puck...directly onto his waiting stick for that "easy" goal.

Reinhart did well on the play but DeAngelo gets more credit for the goal. He made a horrible, seemingly very lazy play at a crucial moment. Reinhart's assist on the second empty netter was a better play from him imo.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo

Reinhart definitely positioned himself in the perfect spot but (even as a Canadian) I was ticked off that DeAngelo made a bad pass attempt/turn over instead of battling to get the puck out

Rob Paxon said:
Reinhart did well on the play but DeAngelo gets more credit for the goal. He made a horrible, seemingly very lazy play at a crucial moment. Reinhart's assist on the second empty netter was a better play from him imo.

Reinhart's passing ability was well illustrated second ENG. The previous goal was due (in large part) to his positioning, Either way, the game made me more excited as a Sabres fan than a Canadian.

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown

I think that regardless, he'll be a winger at the NHL level. If he gets drafted by the Sabres, it makes even more sense to put him there. Reinhart and Zemgod as the top two centres with Eichel playing on the wing.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Reinhart was going at it all game. Peppered shots since the start and was nice to see him rewarded with 3 points in the biggest game of the tourney so far . What a player he is, pretty much the 2nd time so far I have gotten to see him extensively ( this year and last years WJCs) and he has done nothing but impress. It is definitely weird having a prospect this heralded. But that's the type of player you get when you are picking #2 overall, you get the elite prospects that you drool over.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think that regardless, he'll be a winger at the NHL level. If he gets drafted by the Sabres, it makes even more sense to put him there. Reinhart and Zemgod as the top two centres with Eichel playing on the wing.
Eichel has nearly every quality you would want in an NHL Centerman.

Bps21*

Homer or not...what was supposed to be the McDavid vs. Eichel showdown was in fact a showcase for Reinhart. Just heady play all around. I know he's a year older...but hey..there are 2013 drafties playing too like Domi and lazar. And Domi has been terrific. But the homer in me says that Reinhart's stupid playmaking and absurd two way commitment let's domi's tongue hang out. And the non homer just avid viewer of these games...says the same goddamned thing

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Reinhart was a stud tonight. Best player on the ice, made domi look great. What did GMTM say at the draft? Sam is a special player, who makes people around him extra special. Max Domi, you're welcome. His stick work on the empty netter was good, his 3 stick plays on the penalty kill were outstanding.

Was also impressed by fasching, he looked big and fast. JT Computer was solid, but not spectacular.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - United States Falls To Canada 5-3 - USAHockey.com - Wednesday, December 31.

Montreal, Quebec - The United States National Junior Team dropped a 5-3 decision to host Canada in its final preliminary contest of the IIHF World Junior Championships this afternoon. Goaltender Thatcher Demko (San Diego, California/Boston College), who made 38 saves, was named the United States Player of the Game.

Canada opened the scoring at 7:07 of the second period and built a two-goal lead 3:04 later. United States cashed in on the man advantage to cut Canada’s lead in half when Sonny Milano (Massapequa, New York/Plymouth Whalers) passed through the slot to Anthony DeAngelo (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania/Sarnia Sting) low in the right circle for a one-time shot.

Canada regained a two-goal lead at 10:01 of the third period, but the United States climbed to within 3-2 with 2:34 left when Hudson Fasching (Apple Valley, Minnesota/University of Minnesota) stickhandled into the slot and found a wide-open Dylan Larkin (Waterford, Michigan/University of Michigan) by the post. Demko was pulled for an extra attacker just 29 seconds later, and despite some good pressure by the United States, Canada’s Sam Reinhart scored an empty-net goal with 54 seconds left to make it 4-2. Larkin gave the United States hope when he came down the right side and beat Eric Comrie high to the glove side at 19:43 to make it 4-3. With Demko pulled again, Canada’s Max Domi accounted for the 5-3 final with an empty-net goal at 19:55.

United States will now face Russia in the quarterfinals on Friday, January 2 with the opening faceoff set for 1:10 pm ET at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec.
The game will be broadcast LIVE on the NHL Network and streamed LIVE on NHL.com.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/461678?referrer_id=752796

Game Summary/Boxscore - Canada 5 United States 3 - Wednesday, December 31 - Stats.IIHF.com - http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417A18_74_2_0.pdf

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Its A Canadian Party!-Wild Finish As Hosts Hold On To Win Group A - WorldJunior2015.com - Wednesday, December 31.

In the preliminary round’s most hotly anticipated matchup, Canada defeated the United States 5-3 to capture first place in Group A on New Year's Eve in Montreal. Canada now moves on to Toronto and the Air Canada Centre to take on the fourth-place team in Group B in Friday's quarter-finals. Finishing second, the Americans will face the third-place team in Group B here at the Bell Centre.

(LaxSabre - Canada will face Denmark at 8:00 pm ET - United States will face Russia at 1:00 pm ET. The other quarter-finals has Sweden vs Finland - 3:00 pm ET - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario and Czech Republic vs Slovakia - 5:00 pm ET - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec.)

It might not replace the 3-3 classic between the Montreal Canadiens and Central Red Army in 1975 as the best New Year's Eve game ever played in this city, but it was a thriller and the fans got their money's worth - especially at the end.

Max Domi had two goals for Canada, while Sam Reinhart added a single and two assists, and Josh Morrissey and Lazar also scored. Dylan Larkin scored twice for the Americans and Anthony DeAngelo potted a single for the United States. Sonny Milano had a pair of helpers. Canadian goalie Eric Comrie and the United States goalie Thatcher Demko both brought their A-game for this showdown between the North American archrivals. Canada outshot the United States 43-28 and deserved to celebrate the victory.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/news/can-usa/

Game Summary/Boxscore - Canada 5 United States 3 - Wednesday, December 31 - Stats.IIHF.com - http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417A18_74_2_0.pdf

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Domi Scores Two As Canada Tops United States To Take First Place - Group A - Canadian Press - TSN.ca - Wednesday, December 31.

Montreal, Quebec - The Americans made it a game at the end, but Canada has advanced from the group stage of the World Junior Championships with its perfect record intact. Max Domi scored twice, including one of two empty-net goals, as Canada hung on for a 5-3 victory over the United States.The win put Canada (4-0-0) into what should be an easy quarter-final against Denmark in Toronto on Friday, while the Americans (2-1-1) stay in Montreal for a tough quarter-final against Russia.

Canada wore down the Americans with high-tempo hockey from its top three lines and a strong checking game from the fourth unit. They had a 43-28 shot advantage, including a long stretch of the second period when it was one-way hockey. But the United States didn't go down without a fight, as Dylan Larkin scored twice in the third frame to draw his team within a goal, only to see Canada put it away with empty-netters by Sam Reinhart and Max Domi.

Josh Morrissey scored as Canada's red hot power play went 1 for 2 to maintain a .500 success rate over four games. The penalty killers conceded a goal for the first time in 15 tries to United States Anthony DeAngelo, however. Lazar also scored, while Reinhart had a goal and two assists to take the team lead with eight points.

Rest Of The Game Recap - Includes Video Highlights - http://www.tsn.ca/domi-scores-two-as-canada-tops-u-s-to-take-first-place-in-group-a-1.172151

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
World Junior Championships Quarterfinals Schedule - Friday, January 2.
1:00 pm ET - United States vs Russia - Bell Centre - Montreal Quebec.
3:00 pm ET - Sweden vs Finland - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.
5:00 pm ET - Czech Republic vs Slovakia - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec.
8:00 pm ET - Canada vs Denmark - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.

World Junior Championships Schedule - Regulation Round - Best Two Out Of Three Series.
Friday, January 2 - 11:00 am ET - Game #1 - Switzerland vs Germany - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.
Saturday, January 3 - 7:00 pm ET - Game #2 - Germany vs Switzerland - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.
Monday, January 5 - 11:00 am ET - Game #3 (?) - Switzerland vs Germany - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.
(LaxSabre - Winner plays in 2016 World Junior Championships - Loser does not play in 2016 World Junior Championships - Replaced by Belarus.)

World Junior Championships Semifinal Schedule - Sunday, January 4.
4:00 pm ET - Sweden-Finland Winner vs United States-Russia Winner - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.
8:00 pm ET - Canada-Denmark Winner vs Czech Republic-Slovakia Winner - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.

World Junior Championships Medal Round Schedule - Monday, January 4.
4:00 pm ET - Bronze Medal Game - Semifinal Losers - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.
8:00 pm ET - Gold Medal Game - Semifinal Winners - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario.

Quarterfinals - Friday, January 2 - Four Classics And A Premiere - WorldJunior2015.com - Wednesday, December 31 -
http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/news/four-classics-and-a-premiere/

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Homer or not...what was supposed to be the McDavid vs. Eichel showdown was in fact a showcase for Reinhart. Just heady play all around. I know he's a year older...but hey..there are 2013 drafties playing too like Domi and lazar. And Domi has been terrific. But the homer in me says that Reinhart's stupid playmaking and absurd two way commitment let's domi's tongue hang out. And the non homer just avid viewer of these games...says the same goddamned thing

It was said during the game by i think ferraro "a good center like Reinhart makes his wingers job very easy, knowing exactly the weight he needs to put on each pass". Hes a special case where his instincts(much like RNH) translate 200 feet, not just when he has the puck, Reinhart is amazing in the dot as well. Pretty incredible, if he was big/had a mean streak he'd have every single thing you'd want in a player.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Love that I have NHL Network now, unexpectedly.
Hate that they show the final score of Czech Republic/Russia during the replay of that game.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
It was said during the game by i think ferraro "a good center like Reinhart makes his wingers job very easy, knowing exactly the weight he needs to put on each pass". Hes a special case where his instincts(much like RNH) translate 200 feet, not just when he has the puck, Reinhart is amazing in the dot as well. Pretty incredible, if he was big/had a mean streak he'd have every single thing you'd want in a player.

If his skating was elite like McDavid he'd be a McDavid like prospect.

Bps21*

Just read a game recap from a Montreal paper that talked about how amazing Domi's first goal against the US was as he got his own rebound. ... Forget his skating being elite...maybe it would help if Reinhart didn't somehow magically turn invisible at the worst possible moments lol. I swear I remember that play differently...

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Just read a game recap from a Montreal paper that talked about how amazing Domi's first goal against the US was as he got his own rebound. ... Forget his skating being elite...maybe it would help if Reinhart didn't somehow magically turn invisible at the worst possible moments lol. I swear I remember that play differently...

Reinhart has received plenty of love for his performance in that game and this tourney. You seem to be making a sport of finding perceived slights against Reinhart.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Reinhart reminds me of Bergeron but with Krejci's patience with the puck, I'd kill to have him on the Bruins.

No doubt you guys have your future 1/2C Selke candidate.

Reinhart doesn't really remind me of Bergeron. Bergeron is an elite level NHL skater, Reinhart will be average.

Look at the past Selke winners. Pretty much to a T they have been elite level skaters.

Reinhart will be a solid defender at the next level but I do not think he will ever get to an elite status.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Reinhart doesn't really remind me of Bergeron. Bergeron is an elite level NHL skater, Reinhart will be average.

Look at the past Selke winners. Pretty much to a T they have been elite level skaters.

Reinhart will be a solid defender at the next level but I do not think he will ever get to an elite status.

Skating is something you can always work on and improve. The skills he currently possesses; his vision, awareness, hockey IQ, can not be taught

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad