2014-15 Goalie Madness: Someone HELP US

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
You cant really count NY as a good game. The gaffe that caused the 2nd goal was unacceptable. A goalie in the right mindset would never make that mistake. If that was a one off example you overlook it. That's an example unfortunately of a reoccurring problem that he can't play 60 minutes.

I'm definitely hopeful that he can bounce back next year, but I think we're trying to squeeze blood from a stone to pretend he's close to bouncing back this year. It's hard to name games he's gone from buzzer to buzzer and played a mistake free game.

1 mistake or a couple mistake games are moral victories at this point that mean nothing. It's like being excited still that Dallas can outshoot and outplay teams without winning. It just doesn't mean squat when you are this late in the season and 5 points back.

34 of 36 saves from the guy. What do you guys want????

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
34 of 36 saves from the guy. What do you guys want????

59 minutes last game or 40-50 minutes here and there of good hockey a night get you missing the playoffs. If you're good with that, great.

You can choose to celebrate small victories and minor improvements or acknowledge that a major mental gaffe like that is part of the problem. It's indicative of his overall poor mental state this season. I'm not talking about one goal. Every goalie is going to get scored on ... probably at least twice a night.

It's the same problem with the rest of the team. Knock yourself out getting excited over minor moral victories, but neither the team or Kari have shown they are close to getting back on track. One night it's Kari ... the next it's the team.

So no ... he doesn't get a gold star only because he allowed two goals. A positive move towards recovery would have been a 60 minute game without a major mental breakdown. It's no different than saying in February ... there's no more moral victories for outplaying teams and losing. It's not positive momentum.

I want to see them make the playoffs more than anything. They theoretically could fall to almost a Top 5 pick, but that's borderline as delusional as holding out hope for the playoffs.

I don't think it's funny nor do I celebrate their failure, and a realistic look at this team proves that they aren't getting anything done right now. There's still time at this point ... but only a week or two in reality to really make a run. The second they do that you can start passing around atta boys otherwise they're just going to miss the playoffs unless something drastic changes in the team and Kari.

Razor nailed it in the post-game. There's no moral victory even beating a great team like the Rangers. None of this matters without a stretch where they win 8 or 9 of 10. Plays like the Kari clear attempt are what will hold them back from that.

So no I'm not being negative or dumping on Kari. I'm being realistic. Small improvements aren't good enough right now unless you don't care if they make the playoffs or not. Getting one of those Top 12 prospects could prove to be a huge moral, long term victory. I love prospects as the next guy, and the guy they draft will be a nice pacifier potentially for missing the playoffs, but at the end of the day even though I wouldn't bet on them making Final 8 right now, that'd be my ultimate desire to see happen.

Tenzen

Dec 31, 2013
Blame, LatvianTwist, It's all his fault! He led me here. Just kidding. I was making Stars comments earlier and he led me here to set me straight.

Tenzen

Dec 31, 2013
Forgive me for not reading back on threads. I know what I see. Kari is substandard and the biggest problem for next season. We owe him a lot money, but he is one of our worst problems. How do we fix it?

Tenzen

Dec 31, 2013
I find it strange that Lindy Ruff always calls out his goal-tending in interviews, It's an issue for him. It should be an issue for us fans. Kari is..Not good. To succeeded to the playoffs, it has to be without Kari. Atlanta figured that out.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It is an issue, we've all noticed that Kari is having a very bad year...

But this isn't the norm for him.

None of us are particularly sure where to go with it. The goaltending market isn't all that great right now. There aren't many options that will assure us as being better.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
He has a big contract and even if you could find a team like Edmonton who would want him, he still has a no trade clause. We are married to him and I don't know any good divorce lawyers. So he'll get a chance to bounce back next year, I just hope we have a better backup plan.

PrairieDayz

Mar 22, 2015
Dallas
Bottom line Kari's gotta go...after being yanked in 6 home games as a NHL goalie...if he had even a so so year Stars would be in the playoffs....and with Stars jumping season ticket prices after this disappointing year and no change in the nets, forget renewing....We'll go to single game buys....

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I hope Enroth is re-signed and then they split starts between Enroth and Lehtonen evenly. I just don't see Nill trading Lehtonen without giving him a chance next year to bounce back and see if this year was a one off, or will be the norm.

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
He's been amazing every year since coming to Dallas except this past season. He's never gotten the chance to play behind an adequate NHL defense HIS ENTIRE CAREER. He was instrumental in getting the Stars in the playoffs last year. He has one bad year and you guys want to get rid of him, come on. Let's see if Nill can bolster the defense and then you can get a much better feel on Lehtonen's ability to lead a team in the playoffs.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
In the start with Atlanta he had fitness issues which resulted in upperbody injuries that went unnoticed and thus untreated. It affected his performance to the point that I believe Hnilicka (or was it Shields?) got to start over him a bit too often. Could this be an issue again?

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
In the start with Atlanta he had fitness issues which resulted in upperbody injuries that went unnoticed and thus untreated. It affected his performance to the point that I believe Hnilicka (or was it Shields?) got to start over him a bit too often. Could this be an issue again?

I don't think so, he was definitely chubby when he got to Dallas but he seems to have lost that babyfat and wasn't injured this year. He had a pretty nasty concussion last year, I doubt that has effected his play this year but it is worth looking into.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

Marek said something about it on MvsW recently, but since it doesn't really fit what the local guys have said I didn't put too much stock in it.

I don't think so, he was definitely chubby when he got to Dallas but he seems to have lost that babyfat and wasn't injured this year. He had a pretty nasty concussion last year, I doubt that has effected his play this year but it is worth looking into.

He got smoked by somebody via Oleksiak in the preseason and picked up another one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad