2014-15 Goalie Madness: Someone HELP US

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Here's a list of 2015 UFA goalies. Not too many appealing options.

Antti Niemi
Viktor Fasth
Karri Ramo
Michal Neuvirth
Josh Harding
Jonas Gustavsson
Evgeni Nabokov
Peter Budaj
Jhonas Enroth
Thomas Greiss
Ray Emery
Dan Ellis

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH

Antti Niemi
Viktor Fasth
Karri Ramo
Michal Neuvirth
Josh Harding
Jonas Gustavsson
Evgeni Nabokov
Peter Budaj
Jhonas Enroth
Thomas Greiss
Ray Emery
Dan Ellis

I'd take these three over Kari at this point.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Ben Bishop has one year left on his deal after this season, and I expect they'll roll with Vasilevski (rightly so, kids a beast). So maybe an offseason trade for Bishop?

Other options:

Malcom Subban
Jacob Markstrom
Zach Fucale

Those are all younger options that we'd have to trade assets for, but Fucale and Subban are stuck behind Price and Rask, respectively. I'm not sure how far away Fucale is, but Subban and Markstrom are both NHL ready.

Goalies have always had low trade values, so I'm wondering if any of those teams would take Cole for the goalie (not tampa obviously, probably same could be said for Montreal).

I wonder what a trade involving M. Subban and Cole would look like.. We'd likely be adding, but I'm not sure what.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Ben Bishop has one year left on his deal after this season, and I expect they'll roll with Vasilevski (rightly so, kids a beast). So maybe an offseason trade for Bishop?

Other options:

Malcom Subban
Jacob Markstrom
Zach Fucale

Those are all younger options that we'd have to trade assets for, but Fucale and Subban are stuck behind Price and Rask, respectively. I'm not sure how far away Fucale is, but Subban and Markstrom are both NHL ready.

Goalies have always had low trade values, so I'm wondering if any of those teams would take Cole for the goalie (not tampa obviously, probably same could be said for Montreal).

I wonder what a trade involving M. Subban and Cole would look like.. We'd likely be adding, but I'm not sure what.

I don't think Boston likes trading with us anymore.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I posted in their trade thread trying to gauge his value, and they said one of Ritchie/Oleksiak/Nichushkin....

I left before my head exploded

Lol at goalie values.

I wonder if they'd consider Subban + 4/5th for Cole + Campbell

Essentially gets us the closer goalie prospect with arguably the same upside, they get a goalie prospect who they can afford to be VERY patient with and can come up in that defensive system.

I'd certainly do it, not sure about BOS.

MetalGodAOD*

Lindback needs to get the start vs Buffalo. Worst team in the league and Kari needs to sit after last game. Perfect storm.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I was considering making the quick drive down to watch that one, but with the Canadian dollar the way it is?

Even for Sabres tickets, it would cost too much. :(

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I was considering making the quick drive down to watch that one, but with the Canadian dollar the way it is?

Even for Sabres tickets, it would cost too much. :(

Man check it out on Stubhub/craigslist. I was going to skip it for that but we're talking substantially lower prices than face value without looking hard at all.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Didn't see this posted at all....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/dallas-stars-goalie-situation-one-game-at-a-time.html/

“Obviously, we need [Lehtonen] to be better,” Ruff said. “There’s no masking that point. … It seems like every night, the other goalie is outdueling us.”

Lehtonen said the talk with Ruff was productive because they share a goal. The best way out of this funk, Lehtonen said, is through positive reinforcement.

“Goaltending is a lot of mind games,” Lehtonen said. “I have to keep telling myself I’m a really good goalie, and there’s a reason why I’m here. Keep that in mind. Try to smile sometimes, too.”

Nexus

Jul 7, 2013
He needs to give Pasi Nurminen a call again, he used to call him for some mental support overseas.

Speaking of mental side of coaching, wasn't that supposed to be something Valley is good at? One more reason to give the guy boot after this season.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta

Antti Niemi
Viktor Fasth
Karri Ramo
Michal Neuvirth
Josh Harding
Jonas Gustavsson
Evgeni Nabokov
Peter Budaj
Jhonas Enroth
Thomas Greiss
Ray Emery
Dan Ellis

Niemi would be solid.
Fasth has been playing well for a poor Oilers team. Needs a better team in front of him.
Enroth would be the only other guy I'd be interested in.

So don't hold your breath hoping for a new goalie going into next season.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I was not aware of this about Michal Neuvirth until this morning, but he was Hershey's goalie for back to back Calder Cups including a playoff MVP. Those teams were stacked with some great veteran scoring forwards, but his numbers are fantastic.

His career in the playoffs of the OHL, AHL, and NHL all show pretty impressive numbers.

As far as dark horse potential starters who would easily be the best backup Dallas has signed in a while ... he seems like a pretty decent option. His pedigree for sure seems like something Nill would be drawn to him.

I knew he was a guy Washington rushed to the NHL so I guess I just never considered that he still had some quality time in the AHL to put together two pretty great playoff runs.

I can't see Niemi picking Dallas as a good landing spot. He's already a starter, and he's not going to want to deal with an entrenched incumbent starter. Neuvirth could easily find a better situation ... or maybe not. There are several quality backups available that other teams could prefer. Given Dallas' cap situation the next two years and Lehtonen's performance, I'm OK with them overspending a bit to see if something sticks.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Lehtonen

From that list only guy that might be better is Niemi. But he will probably be expensive as a Free agent.

Honestly, 3 of last 4 games Lehtonen has been decent (aside from Tampa game). So maybe he will still turn things around. If you guys add someone like Methot that will help him.

I'm not defending Lehtonen. This has been a very poor season for him so far. But his numbers last few seasons have been much better so there is some hope...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You cant really count NY as a good game. The gaffe that caused the 2nd goal was unacceptable. A goalie in the right mindset would never make that mistake. If that was a one off example you overlook it. That's an example unfortunately of a reoccurring problem that he can't play 60 minutes.

I'm definitely hopeful that he can bounce back next year, but I think we're trying to squeeze blood from a stone to pretend he's close to bouncing back this year. It's hard to name games he's gone from buzzer to buzzer and played a mistake free game.

1 mistake or a couple mistake games are moral victories at this point that mean nothing. It's like being excited still that Dallas can outshoot and outplay teams without winning. It just doesn't mean squat when you are this late in the season and 5 points back.

ItsTheCracken*

Antti Niemi
Viktor Fasth
Karri Ramo
Michal Neuvirth
Josh Harding
Jonas Gustavsson
Evgeni Nabokov
Peter Budaj
Jhonas Enroth
Thomas Greiss
Ray Emery
Dan Ellis

Fasth hasn't been terrible considering where he is playing. In ANA he showed where his potential could land.
Enroth is kinda in the same boat as Fasth. But for a team with absolutely terrible defense he's played as good as you can for someone of his caliber.
Neuvirth is someone who I have always thought would be great if he could just find some consistency both within himself and on a team.
Greiss is the 4th best option of the group, but injuries and lack of playing time probably contributed to that.

All of those 3 would be good upgrades over Lindback and Rynnas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad