2014-15 Goalie Madness: Someone HELP US

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Rather than jumping back and forth between their signing threads, figured this was going to be a huge topic for much of the year.

Kari is the undisputed #1 at this point. Do any of the three behind him have a chance of dethroning him this season? Who is the backup Game 1? Who plays more games this season in the backup role?

Plus this is a perfect place to discuss Mike Valley's comments yesterday about all of the goalies.

Kari Lehtonen:
I’ve always said how we get Kari to play at even a higher level is, first, that the idea number of games for him is about 60. We say that every year and then we get into a situation where it’s hard when you have a world class goalie at your disposal not to play him, especially when you are in such a tight playoff race. But I think if you have the ability to play him a little bit less and keep him mentally fresh then you can squeeze a little bit more out of him.

What a lot of people don’t know is that Kari is a guy that shows up three hours before a practice, three hours before a game. He is the first guy here taping his stick. He puts so much into it mentally and emotionally every day that when he does finally get a day off it’s very relaxing to him because he can completely unwind. He wants to be successful and he does all the little things. He is the ultimate pro, so he’ll never tell you or any of us that he is mentally drained. If you look at the last two seasons that we had, the lockout schedule which was a condensed schedule, and you look at last year it was a condensed schedule because of the Olympic break, it’s a lot to put on anybody and he played the most minutes in the league. For us to say he wasn’t mentally drained was pretty unreasonable for any of us to assume.

Anders Lindback:
He then got thrust into that starting role in Tampa based on that contract they signed him to. He adjusted his game a little bit, and it just didn’t work out for him. I’m the type of person who is not going to look too much into the past, criticize what was done or what wasn’t done, but I am going to look at where are we now and what needs to change.

The first thing we did with Lindback is we dissected all 27 games that he played in, that’s including playoffs. We looked at every single goal and started looking for patterns and came up with a nice document of where we need to get to, these are the things that need to change, these are the things that are great in your game. We have to get him playing really well, and I believe we can get him there. I believe a big part of it is confidence, but I think there are six or seven major things within his game that we want to adjust.

Jussi Rynnas:
He’s very similar to Lindback in that he has many of the same qualities. He’s a big guy, an athletic guy. He has a burning desire to show that he can be an NHL guy, not only an NHL guy but a top NHL guy. When you have guys like that and you can form a good relationship with them, work with them and come up with a plan of how are we going to reach these goals, it is a good combination. It is a good problem to have when you have four goalies that are all the same.

Jack Campbell:
He’s much more in control of his emotions now. I am not going to say it is perfect yet because there are still times we have to make sure we address it, but he has definitely gone the right way.

Last year was a huge challenge for him. He put up [12-2-2 record, .942 save percentage], so when he played he was fantastic. Would that have remained over the course of playing 50 games? Who knows? I would hope so. The reality of it is that his next step is to stay healthy and make sure that we get him to play a full season at that high level and then we can start talking about the next step. You’ve got to walk before you run and right now we are walking. We are starting to walk a little faster and soon we’ll start running.

Valley also indicated that Lagace and Kiviaho are headed to the ECHL ... but it's not a forgone conclusion they both go to Idaho. I don't know if that's because they want them both to start if possible or if that's because they might want to keep one of the guys they already have: Idaho traded for Beskorowany not long ago, they have the two undrafted NCAA free agents as well.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
GOALIES!

Alright. Reading Valley's comments and how much of an importance he puts on the goalie's mental aspect of the game (He and Justin Goldman of the Goalie Guild wrote a book about it) seems to point that Jack will definitely be down in CPC for at least 2 more years. The injuries this last season hurt that progress somewhat.

This is reinforced by the signing of Rynnas. The one-way deal I feel was more of an incentive to come over more than anything. Also means they want a competition between Rynnas and Lindback. They never really had that sort of thing with the previous backup goalies (Really, did anyone think Nihlstorp would beat out Ellis?)

I think both Rynnas and Lindback are just low key enough that either one can make it through the waiver wire and be good enough to give Jack competition and provide insurance in case Jack cracks under pressure mentally or physically (which I hope doesn't happen).

As far as Lagace and Kiviaho and the ECHL. I bet Besko looks for an AHL job and finds one. Josh Robinson is probably going to go for the AHL also. No idea about Nagle but doubt he'd be back if Dallas wants Lagace and Kiviaho to share time in Idaho which I think is likely.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Pat Nagle ‏@PattyNags

Thank you to all of the fans in Boise last season, had a blast being a @Steelheads looking forward to this year as a @FWKomets #komets

So with Nagle gone .... potential Idaho goalies are still Beskorowany, Robinson, Kiviaho, and Lagace.

Hopefully the other two find something else. That way Kiviaho might have a shot at starting.

yanko6

Benn there done that
Mar 16, 2013
Texas
So Lindbeck has 6-7 major problems that needs to be corrected? Yikes. I guess if he didn't have his size he wouldn't be playing professional hockey.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So Lindbeck has 6-7 major problems that needs to be corrected? Yikes. I guess if he didn't have his size he wouldn't be playing professional hockey.

If that was something to be concerned about, they wouldn't have signed him. We knew from Day 1 he was reclamation project and Valley is giving a little insight to what he does.

That statement really isn't anything to be concerned about. If it was a love fest about him being great, and how lucky we were to have him ... then I'd be concerned.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
100 Degree Hockey ‏@100degreehockey

Former #txstars G Josh Robinson signs on with ECHL Elmira. His college coach now head coach there. http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...g-Duo.html?soid=1102789713664&aid=PmqLUxz3mTE

Don't dislike the guy or anything, but I'm glad he's gone, and I'm not shocked he's forced to take an ECHL deal. He just couldn't get it done at the AHL level, and he's already pretty old for a prospect ... even a goalie .. to have not shown anything at that level.

This leaves Beskorowany to my knowledge as the only potential roadblock for Kiviaho and Lagace.

Ampersand

Valleys' two quotes about Anders are kind of contradictory. He says that he doesn't like to look at the past, and then goes on to say that they "dissected" his 27 games.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Valleys' two quotes about Anders are kind of contradictory. He says that he doesn't like to look at the past, and then goes on to say that they "dissected" his 27 games.

Not really. What he's saying is that he doesn't look at Lindback's record or overall performance but he recognizes that Lindback does need to work on things.

Looking at the game film isn't going through and going "Why did you suck?" It's going through and figuring out what he did right and what he did wrong and what needs to be fixed or encouraged.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I have faith in Valley to get Lindback up to sniff.

I'm just so happy that our backup goalie is finally not a midget (Thomas, Ellis, Bachman, etc.)

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Plus is that sports "6'1" or true 6'1?

Always seems to me that if someone is 6' or shorter on their listed height, then subtract 2-3" for their real height.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Sometimes it's accurate, sometimes not. NHL seems to be the worst for it. Players change listed heights from year to year sometimes. In the NFL you know someone's exact height. A lot of guys shrink 2-3" from college to the NFL.

txpenny

Jun 27, 2014
Tampa / Dallas
Sometimes it's accurate, sometimes not. NHL seems to be the worst for it. Players change listed heights from year to year sometimes. In the NFL you know someone's exact height. A lot of guys shrink 2-3" from college to the NFL.

Let's hope early reports about Honka being 5'7" are inaccurate.

txpenny

Jun 27, 2014
Tampa / Dallas
I thought they had him at 5'10.75" never heard him listed at 5'7"

I saw a link on draft day that had him listed as 5'7". I see on the Stars site they acknowledge the height worries and have suggested he is 5'11" and still growing (how they know that makes them somewhat prophetic).

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=724290

There were some concerns about Honka’s height. He has been listed anywhere from 5-7 to 5-11, but the Stars said the young defenseman is closer to 5-11 and is still growing. McDonnell said concerns over Honka’s height were alleviated during interviews, including at the NHL combine.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I saw a link on draft day that had him listed as 5'7". I see on the Stars site they acknowledge the height worries and have suggested he is 5'11" and still growing (how they know that makes them somewhat prophetic).

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=724290

There were some concerns about Honka’s height. He has been listed anywhere from 5-7 to 5-11, but the Stars said the young defenseman is closer to 5-11 and is still growing. McDonnell said concerns over Honka’s height were alleviated during interviews, including at the NHL combine.

X rays? That's how the Dr could tell my son could still grow some more before putting him on growth hormones

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
As someone already mentioned ... go to the combine results. Those are unbiased and the most recent results. He was 5'7" a year or so ago when still in Finland.

He's now ... for sure ... A 1/4" less than 5'11".

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Lindbäck will have to look for a trade to remain an NHL goalie for now. It doesn't take a professional to see such a gap in skill and talent betweeb two goalies. And Lindbäck is still pretty good!

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Does anyone know if Lindback has been working out in Dallas/Frisco? I saw Val posted a photo on Instagram from one of the StarsCenters.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Bumping this after we've season all four goalies in action through 2 games, each other 30 (Rynnas with 35 + shootout).

Thoughts so far?

Personally think Campbell has looked the best out of the 3 back ups. Obviously won't get the back up job for another year or two though.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I think you put Campbell in the minors just for the playing time, but if Campbell gets hurt during the regular season or falters in the playoffs, we need to put him in Victory Green. Basically make him our #2 guy on the depth chart, but keep him in Austin to give him the icetime.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad