2014-15 General Wild Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
So it looks like they're streaming some of it on the Wild's site; but is it going to available through gamecenter as well?

Edit:
Preseason, that is.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Bryz played much better than Kuemper but it's nothing to get worried about. He'll simply end up in the AHL as an overpaid insurance policy if he continues to look like this. I'm confident he'll get it together before then though. Zucker was still quick IMO but i don't know if he was tired or sick or what--the fire I really like from him wasn't there and he wasn't playing as hard as the other guys looking to impress the coaches. Maybe he "knows" he has a spot already?

Vanek wasn't into backchecking at all...But it's a camp scrimmage. Really the only guys throwing everything into every shift were the guys on the cusp (or who think they are)of making the Wild roster or earning a contract of some sort. Veillieux was playing with abandon, Bickell and Almond were hitting each other more and more as the game went on. (I really like Almond. I think he'd be a lock for the #4 center if Brodz was gone because he has a fair amount of skill, decent size, and a really testy attitude.)

so good to be watching even this level of hockey. so good.
so good.
Wasn't that part of the problem last pre-season, when he assumed he had the spot over both Nino and Granlund, and then they came and beasted it up and he was left in the lurch?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I'm confident he'll get it together before then though. Zucker was still quick IMO but i don't know if he was tired or sick or what--the fire I really like from him wasn't there and he wasn't playing as hard as the other guys looking to impress the coaches. Maybe he "knows" he has a spot already?

Because of Yeolo, I'm fairly certain its because he know he can't get a spot no matter how well he does. I'd take Zucker over any of the fourth liners. But Zucker knows he'll be in AHL all year even in the event of mass-exodus injuries.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Because of Yeolo, I'm fairly certain its because he know he can't get a spot no matter how well he does. I'd take Zucker over any of the fourth liners. But Zucker knows he'll be in AHL all year even in the event of mass-exodus injuries.

Not just Yeo... Fletcher himself said it's not worth keeping Zucker in the NHL if he's only playing on the 4th line.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
His goal should be to try to out play Matt Cooke, not just wallow in the fact that he can't make the top 6 and resign himself to the AHL before the first pre-season game.

His lone chance at a roster spot is to force Cooke to the 4th line.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
While playing 'poor', he still managed to set up two goals via zone entry.

Not all players are going to be the perfect build of an ideal player and a coach has to actually put work in to make it work with what he's given. Fortunately for Yeo (and unfortunately for Zucker), he's got a lot to work with on offense. So hopefully we get to witness a real offense this year...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I didn't see the scrimmage, so no idea how he played, just pointing out based on others comments that he should be trying to do the exact opposite of how his play was described. He should be going all out if he truly wants a spot.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
re Zucker i only meant he's playing like he has a job, just like all the other guys who are absolutely on the roster. i keep saying i think his chances are pretty good if we're using line 3 as a "fresh" scoring attack line. maybe that's what they're rolling with.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Training camp lines suggest otherwise, as Cooke has been with Haula and Nino, Zucker has been with Brodziak (today Graovac due to Brodziak's tweaked back) and Fontaine.

Of the likely NHL caliber lines...

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Vanek-Koivu-Coyle
Cooke-Haula-Nino
Zucker-Brodziak-Fontaine

With both Fletcher and Yeo on record saying it doesn't make sense to have Zucker in the NHL and playing on the 4th line, that suggests he still doesn't have a spot locked up unless he forces the issue with Cooke.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Any info on the roster/lineup for tonight's Jets game?

Tomorrow's Jet's game, not tonight.

Rumor is that's what the coaching staff is going to work out today. Likely a younger lineup for the first one per Yeo quotes, then the Vets get most of the rest.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Not just Yeo... Fletcher himself said it's not worth keeping Zucker in the NHL if he's only playing on the 4th line.

To be fair: that was when this team had scrubs for the 4th line. Remember the last two years we saw the following players essentially on that line:

Heatley
Rupp
Konopka
Sparkplug
Mitchell
Powe
Brodziak
McCormick

None of them were what I would call "offense first" as they were meant more as checking/energy line depending on the team the Wild were playing. That could completely change now that the team is going more offensive. We will see. The first 2-5 games of the regular season will tell a lot of how the schematics of the team are going to play out.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yeo has hinted that Cooke, Fontaine, and Zucker are in competition for top9 duty, so he'll probably give each guy a shot with Haula and nino. Cooke gets first cracked as the vet.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I think its very unlikely Zucker will get the spot on 3rd line over Cooke.

Yeo is going to go with the safe guy just because he isn't going to want three young players on the same line. Plus the fact that Zucker can be put in the minors without waivers.

I also think its one of the reasons he is sticking with Parise-Granlund-Pominville for now.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think its very unlikely Zucker will get the spot on 3rd line over Cooke.

Yeo is going to go with the safe guy just because he isn't going to want three young players on the same line. Plus the fact that Zucker can be put in the minors without waivers.

I also think its one of the reasons he is sticking with Parise-Granlund-Pominville for now.
Until Cooke goes into cruise control after the first 10 games.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
Zucker will be able to play on the 3rd line when Cooke gets suspended at some point.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
To be fair: that was when this team had scrubs for the 4th line. Remember the last two years we saw the following players essentially on that line:

Heatley
Rupp
Konopka
Sparkplug
Mitchell
Powe
Brodziak
McCormick

None of them were what I would call "offense first" as they were meant more as checking/energy line depending on the team the Wild were playing. That could completely change now that the team is going more offensive. We will see. The first 2-5 games of the regular season will tell a lot of how the schematics of the team are going to play out.

No, that was this summer when Zucker signed his extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce