League News: 2014-15 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't mind about the Pronger thing really. I don't think its breaking the spirit of the rules or anything and he seems like a perfect guy for the job.

He's going to get his money from the Flyers anyhow so I don't consider it a conflict of interest.

No need to screw him or the Flyers over this.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Who cares about Forsberg? The GM that made that trade isn't even here anymore. Perhaps in part due to that.

Now if we want to wander down the road of lament...If we really do...If we want to go there then I'm still bitter we gave up the pick to get Joe Sakic in that Hunter trade!! :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Stupid Poile! He should have traded the pick for the following year!

On the subject of road of lament, the rest stop entitled the Ribiero trade I'll stop at. Never had a problem with picking up Ribiero from the Stars, however hated and still hate Eakin/2nd rounder going the other way in that trade. In hindsight, much preferred a straight up deal of MAJO for Ribiero, but I suppose MAKFI was reluctant as MAJO had been a first rounder and Eakin a later rounder, yet within 12 months he does the Forsberg deal.

Eakin centering the third line of Chimera and Ward would be a nice line. I just think that they'll be trying to find a line or position for MAJO all this season. By the end of this season the second line could possibly be the kid line of Kuznetsov/Bura/Wilson.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
On the subject of road of lament, the rest stop entitled the Ribiero trade I'll stop at. Never had a problem with picking up Ribiero from the Stars, however hated and still hate Eakin/2nd rounder going the other way in that trade. In hindsight, much preferred a straight up deal of MAJO for Ribiero, but I suppose MAKFI was reluctant as MAJO had been a first rounder and Eakin a later rounder, yet within 12 months he does the Forsberg deal.

Eakin centering the third line of Chimera and Ward would be a nice line. I just think that they'll be trying to find a line or position for MAJO all this season. By the end of this season the second line could possibly be the kid line of Kuznetsov/Bura/Wilson.

Meh...I had no problem with that trade then and don't have one with it now.

Eakin would have not gotten a chance here and while he is a decent player I'm feeling he's a "tweener".

Not good enough offensively to be a 2nd line center and not good enough defensively to be in a shut down role. I guess that can be debated and he certainly is still young.

I'd like to see that kid line!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Eakin centered one of the best shutdown lines in the league last year. The entire west hates the Garbutt/Eakin/Rousell line.

Is there a rule that an NHLer can't have another job while playing?
There is. The hiring is a joke. The NHL is violating their own CBA by hiring a player under contract, and is implicitly acknowledging that the Flyers are playing cap circumvention with Pronger's LTIR. They punished New Jersey for not actually violating the CBA, yet they end up violating the CBA themselves and turn a blind eye on Philadelphia.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I don't think this would of happened without the owners approval, overall Pronger is on LTIR and the actual money being paid to him is by an insurance company not the Flyers.

It will be interesting though to see the NHLPAs reaction. Technically he's an NHL player and can still vote. He's also a NHL executive.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
They just had to a hire a player under contract... No former players were worthy. What is next?

I know what is next. Stiff sentences handed out to Green Ovi etc. Repeat offenders. It's just a matter of time.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The first time Pronger suspends a Metro division player, the team should appeal it to a third-party.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Philly looks lo void his contract (without penalty).

What a boneheaded hire.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Rant...

Penguin fans are the most insecure fanbase ever I'm pretty sure. The way they are actively following Orpik/Niskanen waiting to watch them fail is hilarious. Orpik helped win them a cup and all they want is for him to fail.

By contrast there were alot of Semin haters here but I didn't see any of us badmouth him or track his every move hoping he falls on his face. In fact quite the opposite...alot of us root for him to succeed.

Outside of Jagr I can't recall a Caps player who left that the fans actively rooted against and tracked hopeful of failure. And in Jagr's case he certainly deserved it b/c he's a ******* (or was...now he is everyone's favorite curmudgeon)

Oates was a horrible coach but I am not rooting for him to fail by any stretch. I bet if Bylsma gets hired the Pens fans will be tracking his every move hopeful of failure.

This is the same fanbase who doesn't show up when things are bad for their team (like ours but somehow they think they are loyal). It gets so bad that they threaten to move the team, tank intentionally to get Lemieux and then Crosby etc

What a bunch of sad sacks

Burakovsky95*

^ The Pens fans on HF outside of their mods are some of the most idiotic people I have ever come across

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Rant...

Penguin fans are the most insecure fanbase ever I'm pretty sure. The way they are actively following Orpik/Niskanen waiting to watch them fail is hilarious. Orpik helped win them a cup and all they want is for him to fail.

By contrast there were alot of Semin haters here but I didn't see any of us badmouth him or track his every move hoping he falls on his face. In fact quite the opposite...alot of us root for him to succeed.

Outside of Jagr I can't recall a Caps player who left that the fans actively rooted against and tracked hopeful of failure. And in Jagr's case he certainly deserved it b/c he's a ******* (or was...now he is everyone's favorite curmudgeon)

Oates was a horrible coach but I am not rooting for him to fail by any stretch. I bet if Bylsma gets hired the Pens fans will be tracking his every move hopeful of failure.

This is the same fanbase who doesn't show up when things are bad for their team (like ours but somehow they think they are loyal). It gets so bad that they threaten to move the team, tank intentionally to get Lemieux and then Crosby etc

If they're still doing it in a month, it will definitely be more telling.

There were several "Semin takes an offensive zone penalty" posts in his first few games in Carolina, and I'm sure there would've been even more if he had gone to Pittsburgh.

But yes, they are a bunch of sad sacks for sure.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If they're still doing it in a month, it will definitely be more telling.

There were several "Semin takes an offensive zone penalty" posts in his first few games in Carolina, and I'm sure there would've been even more if he had gone to Pittsburgh.

But yes, they are a bunch of sad sacks for sure.

I must have missed those. But I'm certain they'll be still doing it in a month.

^ The Pens fans on HF outside of their mods are some of the most idiotic people I have ever come across

yeah for sure. And I really shouldn't lump them all in together as hopefully its only a vocal minority that make them look as such.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
You think people here want him to fail?

I think its more about wanting him to succeed to obtain righteous indignance against the Caps for making that deal.

They continue to follow him despite him no longer being a member of the Capitals organization more than a full season later. Doesn't really matter what their point is as far as I'm concerned.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
They continue to follow him despite him no longer being a member of the Capitals organization more than a full season later. Doesn't really matter what their point is as far as I'm concerned.

OK I see where you are coming from. But that wasn't my point.

My point is that its cool to follow players and wish them success (I did for plenty of former Caps) but not so cool (sour grapes) to follow them hoping for failure..unless its Jagr. He's the exception to the rule.

Pens fans are being sour grapes. Orpik was a warrior for them and they should wish him well IMO.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Detroit easily has the worst ripoff of the Capitals PP. They have no right handed shots and still have a guy on the right goal line.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Rant...

You should pity them. Those people don't have lives.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
To be fair, if you judged the Caps fan base on our "representatives" on the NHL forum, you might not think much of us, either.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
To be fair, if you judged the Caps fan base on our "representatives" on the NHL forum, you might not think much of us, either.

This can be said about any fanbase, there's a reason the main board (and the trades board) has some of the most hilarious threads :laugh:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Most of the Caps "representatives" on the main boards mysteriously never post here. Some of us do now and again but alot I never see here.

Go to the Pens boards. Orpik-envy is rampant across all spectrums.

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
Most of the Caps "representatives" on the main boards mysteriously never post here. Some of us do now and again but alot I never see here.

Go to the Pens boards. Orpik-envy is rampant across all spectrums.

Well I can completely understand why some fans don't post on this board.

The HF Caps board isn't exactly the most friendly place to talk hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad