Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Yandle should be there.

Buff might not be allowed over, as there are weight limit considerations on trans-atlantic flights. Check with Delta, i guess.

Shattenkirk should be there. but i think his name means poop-in-churches or something in Russian, so they might not bring him to avoid an international incident.

Fowler might make it as a forward, but he shouldnt be playing D.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...NGELO JUSTINFAULK&c=0+1+3+7+8+13+22+21+36+35#

Oh yeah and that's with playing with BEN FREAKING LOVEJOY as his partner.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yandle should be there.

Buff might not be allowed over, as there are weight limit considerations on trans-atlantic flights. Check with Delta, i guess.

Shattenkirk should be there. but i think his name means poop-in-churches or something in Russian, so they might not bring him to avoid an international incident.

He only leads American defensemen in blocked shots. Obviously his strong skating has no business on this blueline :shakehead

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Fun game to play

The stat lines of players

A: 26 points in 29 games
B: 25 points in 29
C: 29 in 31
D: 29 in 32
E: 28 in 32
F: 26 in 31

All US players but some are locks and some have, according to some, no chance.

A TJ Oshie
B James Van Riemsdyk
C Phil Kessel
D Bobby Ryan
E Kyle Okposo
F Zach Parise

Was thinking the same. Amazed that Okposo, playing insane, I think 5th among US forwards with 29 points in 33 games is a maybe or even a substitute to Callahan who has 13 points in 24 games, and an underwhelming season so far.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Yandle should be there.

hC9014BC6

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Was thinking the same. Amazed that Okposo, playing insane, I think 5th among US forwards with 29 points in 33 games is a maybe or even a substitute to Callahan who has 13 points in 24 games, and an underwhelming season so far.

He was apparently the next in line on the plane to Vancouver, so I don't think it's unreasonable that he gets on this team.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
It baffles me that you have Jack Johnson as a "lock" over guys like Yandle, Buff, Shattenkirk, and even Fowler....:shakehead

Granted I am a homer towards Fowler, Yandle is an absolute 100% lock for the team. JJ should be the 7th or 8th man IMO.

Idk, just think JJ plays well at the international level. Plus he was on that '10 team and has improved since.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Coming in this thread and bringing a bunch of people to pump your players tires literally does nothing to help his chances to make the team.

It just annoys the rest of us.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I meant 2018

As much as you might not like it he is a top 6 USA defender this season. With advanced stats similar to Doughty and Pietrangelo and he is the best skater in the US with it being on Olympic ice you would be crazy not to take him. The sad thing is his partner is Ben Lovejoy a career 7D and he still has better stats than most defensemen.

Bardof425*

I believe there's more to hockey than numbers. Callahan should not make the team but playing with John Tavares will inflate anyone's numbers especially on a team playing catchup every night. Okposo will not be on the Olympic team.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Coming in this thread and bringing a bunch of people to pump your players tires literally does nothing to help his chances to make the team.

It just annoys the rest of us.

Irony.

You were pumping Carlson's tires.

Too soft. give it up already. If he bulks up, maybe in 2020.

He's one of the favorites to be on the team right now. The kid is a #1 defenseman on one of the best teams in the league, and he's perfect for Olympic ice.

Bardof425*

As much as you might not like it he is a top 6 USA defender this season. With advanced stats similar to Doughty and Pietrangelo and he is the best skater in the US with it being on Olympic ice you would be crazy not to take him. The sad thing is his partner is Ben Lovejoy a career 7D and he still has better stats than most defensemen.

I have a place you can put your advanced stats. He's not physically strong enough for this level of competition; not yet.

How do you judge best skater? Fastest going forward? Fastest going backward? Strength on his edges? Turning ability?... Don't make statements that cannot be backed up especially since the U.S. team will have some pretty great skaters.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I have a place you can put your advanced stats. He's not physically strong enough for this level of competition; not yet.

How do you judge best skater? Fastest going forward? Fastest going backward? Strength on his edges? Turning ability?... Don't make statements that cannot be backed up especially since the U.S. team will have some pretty great skaters.

He's physically strong enough to match up against the best players in the league. Somehow I don't think the Olympics are going to change that. Or, you know, you could just watch him, and forget the advanced stats.

Fowler is pretty obviously one of the best skaters in the league. Get over the fact New York made a mistake by passing on him. He's a terrific player.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

He has played 1d and against all the toughest lines in the league this far as well as the best PP groups the whole season... What in the world are you talking about. Leads all American defensemen in block shots and is upper tier in every advanced stat, and as the ducks best defense the team itself is 2nd in the NHL he is a huge reason for that

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Irony.

You were pumping Carlson's tires.

The difference is he was already actively part of the top 4 discussion, and even had a whole article written in ESPN about him recently, which also sparked a discussion about him in this thread. He's also been watched and praised by numerous active posters in this thread numerous times over the season. The reason I "pumped" his tires, was in response to someone ignorantly saying what they did about him in order to pump Fowler's tires, someone who was barely even in the discussion until 15 Ducks fans decided to storm this thread and make ridiculous statements.

I'm sure these Duck fans are more knowledgeable about the other possible defenders over the people in this thread who have been discussing them over months.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The difference is he was already actively part of the top 4 discussion, and even had a whole article written in ESPN about him recently, which also sparked a discussion about him in this thread. He's also been watched and praised by numerous active posters in this thread numerous times over the season. The reason I "pumped" his tires, was in response to someone ignorantly saying what they did about him in order to pump Fowler's tires, someone who was barely even in the discussion until 15 Ducks fans decided to storm this thread and make ridiculous statements.

I'm sure these Duck fans are more knowledgeable about the other possible defenders over the people in this thread who have been discussing them over months.

And now you're being hypocritical, too. :shakehead You clearly don't know much about Fowler if you don't even think he was in the discussion. Believe it or not, hockey exists on the West Coast, and USA Hockey has a lot of interest in Fowler. I'm a little blown away that you think this is just about Anaheim fans. He's been one of the best US defensemen.

Edit: And, for the record, plenty of people who aren't Anaheim fans have been saying Fowler belongs on the team. Don't cry ignorance when you're so clearly ignorant of players who aren't Carlson.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I have Fowler on the roster.. but man you Duck fans are relentless in your pursuit of anyone who disagrees. If he doesn't get on it won't be the most shocking thing in the world.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I have Fowler on the roster.. but man you Duck fans are relentless in your pursuit of anyone who disagrees. If he doesn't get on it won't be the most shocking thing in the world.

No just want to educate people that never watch the Ducks play and make delusional comments about players they have no idea about. People should watch a game and see before making irrational statements that are outdated.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
And now you're being hypocritical, too. :shakehead You clearly don't know much about Fowler if you don't even think he was in the discussion. Believe it or not, hockey exists on the West Coast, and USA Hockey has a lot of interest in Fowler. I'm a little blown away that you think this is just about Anaheim fans. He's been one of the best US defensemen.

Edit: And, for the record, plenty of people who aren't Anaheim fans have been saying Fowler belongs on the team. Don't cry ignorance when you're so clearly ignorant of players who aren't Carlson.

Yeah, sure... I will take you guys' opinion over everyone else's.

And I was referring to the discussion in this thread. Up until you Anaheim fans started coming in here, no, he wasn't often part of the discussion.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

After hearing how Leddy or Jones deserves to be on the team ahead of him? Or how soft and poor he is defensively? Yeah. You're going to hear from Anaheim fans, who actually know better. It's pretty obvious that a lot of people aren't seeing Fowler play.

We heard a lot of the same crap with Getzlaf, and how he's such a lazy player who is on the downswing. People aren't watching the games. They're listening to what someone else says, and regurgitating the same nonsense.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

And I was referring to the discussion in this thread. Up until you Anaheim fans started coming in here, no, he wasn't often part of the discussion.

He is playing #1D paired with BEN LOVEJOY, leads the NHL as American in block shots, plays all situations and has these to back it up...
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...NGELO JUSTINFAULK&c=0+1+3+7+8+13+22+21+36+35#

and his team is #2 in the NHL.

Thats fair to say.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

So, when/if he makes the team, what are you going to argue then? That we somehow convinced Team USA he's better than he is? He's on their short list.

Also:

@curtiszupke: Chatted w/ zach parise briefly. He's not overly familiar with cam fowler but thinks he has a great chance to be on the u.s. Olympic team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad