Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
This is thread #3. Here's the list of invites again:

Goaltenders: Craig Anderson, John Gibson, Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller, Jonathan Quick, Cory Schneider

Defensemen: Zach Bogosian, Dustin Byfuglien, John Carlson, Dan DeKeyser, Justin Faulk, Cam Fowler, Jake Gardiner, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Seth Jones, Nick Leddy, Paul Martin, Ryan McDonagh, Brooks Orpik, Kevin Shattenkirk, Ryan Suter, Jacob Trouba, Keith Yandle

Forwards: Justin Abdelkader, David Backes, Beau Bennett, Nick Bjugstad, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Alex Galchenyuk, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, Trevor Lewis, Kyle Okposo, T.J. Oshie, Max Pacioretty, Kyle Palmieri, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Bobby Ryan, Brandon Saad, Craig Smith, Paul Stastny, Derek Stepan, James van Riemsdyk, Blake Wheeler

651*

I'd really like to see Suter and McD as our starting D, if not JJ next to Suter, or McDonagh with perhaps Byfuglien as our second pair.

I do think those four for sure are a lock for this squad, although I do long for Byfuglien back at forward with Kane like when he led the entire post season in points as a winger en route to the Hawks playoff championship run in '10.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Haha. Just watched Miracle now I'm all excited for USA hockey.

Wish Fowler could make the team. His puck rushing skills would be great on international ice but ill settle for rooting for Bobby Ryan. I just really want to see us get that Gold.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I do think those four for sure are a lock for this squad, although I do long for Byfuglien back at forward with Kane like when he led the entire post season in points as a winger en route to the Hawks playoff championship run in '10.

What are you talking about here? He shared the lead in goals on his own championship team with Sharp, but that's it.

651*

What are you talking about here? He shared the lead in goals on his own championship team with Sharp, but that's it.

You're right - it was goals that he led in. I loved watching him plant his 6'-5" 265lb frame in front of goalies whenever he was on the offensive; I really thought he was an effective forward and would be a great third or fourth liner on the USA squad in that role with the skilled stick work of Kane on the other side and perhaps Kesler centering, if not on the PP as well.

Byfuglien-Kesler-Kane

That would be a great third line, IMO. One thing for sure is that of all those invited to the camp I believe Byfuglien is the only player that has played significant time at both D and forward in the NHL, so he would be an asset with that versatility. But I know this is all just me dreaming because we will probably never see him play forward again after the last few seasons at D.

Thesensation19*

With Buffs new emerging photos on how he is much more fit this off-season, he might make a case for 2014 as fwd or D

Thesensation19*

Though not invited, others can be invited to the actual roster throughout the season. The list above is just for a specific camp held in August, invites sent to the most liked players right now. But things can change.

Kreider can be on a scoring binge from October to January and USA can select him as a player.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL

You're right - it was goals that he led in. I loved watching him plant his 6'-5" 265lb frame in front of goalies whenever he was on the offensive; I really thought he was an effective forward and would be a great third or fourth liner on the USA squad in that role with the skilled stick work of Kane on the other side and perhaps Kesler centering, if not on the PP as well.

Byfuglien-Kesler-Kane

That would be a great third line, IMO. One thing for sure is that of all those invited to the camp I believe Byfuglien is the only player that has played significant time at both D and forward in the NHL, so he would be an asset with that versatility. But I know this is all just me dreaming because we will probably never see him play forward again after the last few seasons at D.

Actually, the original statement was technically correct. Kane finished 3rd in playoff points that year behind Briere and Towes, both centers. So he was the highest scoring winger in the playoffs. Also, Kane finished tied for 4th in goals with Giroux at 10, behind Cammalleri (13), Briere (12) and Sharp (11).

EDIT: Wait, perhaps you were talking about Byf, who also had 11 goals (16 its) in the playoffs.

Last edited:

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Parise Kesler Kane
JVR Pavelski Kessel
Pacioretty Stepan Ryan
Callahan Backes Brown
Byfuglien

Suter Yandle
Shattenkirk Martin
McDonagh Carlson
Johnson
Faulk

Quick
Howard
Schneider

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto
I'd really like to see Suter and McD as our starting D, if not JJ next to Suter, or McDonagh with perhaps Byfuglien as our second pair.

You trust Byfuglien on your second pairing on big ice in Sochi?:cry:

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Do you guys think JVR has any chance at this team?

Of course but he's competing against some quality players for only a few available spots. Like most of the non-locks, it will depend on his first 3 months of the season, especially for a streaky player like JVR.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Its quite possible that Canada could have 7-8 players that would be centering our top line....damn....

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
And we have 5 goalies that would be starting for them.

Unfortunately that is just one position though. They do not only have 7-8 centers that would be centering your top line, they have 7-8 centers that would claim the position on all of your lines, and probably some on the wings as well.

651*

Its quite possible that Canada could have 7-8 players that would be centering our top line....damn....

Of course. Canada could have three teams if they really wanted. America could have two teams if really wanted. Several countries could.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Unfortunately that is just one position though. They do not only have 7-8 centers that would be centering your top line, they have 7-8 centers that would claim the position on all of your lines, and probably some on the wings as well.

...and yet we can still beat them.

651*

Kesler was a finalist for the Selke just a couple years ago though and could have been a finalist for the Hart that year as well.

But yeah clearly that is perhaps our weak spot ATM. IMO there are no current centers that seem to have ceilings as high as the careers of Modano, Roenick, Tkachuk, Weight or Lafontaine, or so it seems.

It would really be nice to have a American-born kid in the next decade or two come up with the skill of a legend like Lemiex that could be the American version of Crosby or Ovechkin. Eventually it will happen.

dwanmaster*

Kesler was a finalist for the Selke just a couple years ago though and could have been a finalist for the Hart that year as well.

But yeah clearly that is perhaps our weak spot ATM. IMO there are no current centers that seem to have ceilings as high as the careers of Modano, Roenick, Tkachuk, Weight or Lafontaine, or so it seems.

It would really be nice to have a American-born kid in the next decade or two come up with the skill of a legend like Lemiex that could be the American version of Crosby or Ovechkin. Eventually it will happen.

Eichel

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Ovechkin is a super star, no doubt about it. But it's not like Patrick Kane didn't just win the Conn Smythe and have a dominating season.

651*

I really don't like how people tend to glorify Kane as much as they do. While I'm a huge fan of Kane - particularly his handling skills - he has never even had one season in the NHL that he has scored more than 30 goals - 30 goals! All his other seasons at the NHL level never exceeded the 20s in total goal tallies. That is just not exceptional compared to guys like Roenick, Modano or Tkachuk.

Heck even John LeClair had three consectuive seasons with 50 goals (only American winger in the history of the game to accomplish that) and IMO today Kane is recognized more and hyped more than LeClair ever was. Of course LeClair didn't hit the 50 goal plateau until his seventh season - on the Legion of Doom line his best seasons as well - and Kane is hitting that year this season so there is the chance he can start hitting similar numbers, especially if he continues to wing along side Toews.

If anyone has that ceiling it's probably Kane. His numbers in the OHL and with the USDT were scary astronomical. However he is not in the same league as Ovechkin, Crosby or even Stamkos. At least not yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
If anyone has that ceiling it's probably Kane. His numbers in the OHL and with the USDT were scary astronomical. However he is not in the same league as Ovechkin, Crosby or even Stamkos. At least not yet.

He certainly got the capacity to blossom real well allright. He is the one forward on the US team that has 100 point capacity. However i'm waiting patiently on when Jason Pominville is firmly entrenched in the second position, in front of new teammate Zach Parise.

STC

Oct 29, 2012

Byfuglien-Kesler-Kane

That would be a great third line,.

LOL is that a joke? Kaner on the 3rd line? You're kidding right? Yea, let's put our best and most skilled forward on the 3rd line. Makes perfect sense.:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad