Olympics: 2014 — Russia Roster Discussion (part II) (released, post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
BgDqmveIIAAMXlR.jpg:large

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah, he didn't look like the Datsyuk we know.

Good news is that there is still time.

On another note, I've been so impressed with Tarasenko lately, very happy he's on our side. He's such a good two-way presence and can bury the puck. He will be a great asset on any line.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Q. How was your trip? How is the team doing?
A. Everything is good.
Q. Why did you make this decision to bring the KHLers today and the NHLers later on?
A. Due to the league calendars. The KHL calendar allowed us to bring the KHL players a bit earlier to have some time for practicing. The NHLers are playing their last games today. They are coming to Sochi a day after tomorrow.
Q. How was the training camp in Kazan?
A. I think it was very good. We were very satisfied.
Q. What about changing your roster due to the injuries?
A. We had to make some changes and we are still having some issues.
Q. What about Pavel Datsyuk's condition?
A. He played one game after being injured. He is playing the second game tonight. So far we are OK with his performance. Hopefully we will have no concerns after his second game.
Q. You mentioned before that you were having some concerns about Ilia Kovalchuk’s performance. Are you still having these concerns?
A. I think he is in a good shape. I have no issues with Ilia.
Q. What about all these extra players arriving today?
A. Tomorrow we have a pre tournament game. I think it’s gonna be a good opportunity for us to test some players for the world cup. E.g. Kokarev, Chudinov, Burmistrov.
Q. How many players arrived today?
A. 17
Q. Are there any changes to the Olympic roster?
A. No
Q. Do you have any concerns about possible injuries in the tomorrow's game against the Swiss?
A. Anything can happen, but we had this game scheduled as a part of our preparation for the main tournament.
Q. Did you watch the opening ceremony?
A. Blah-blah-blah.
Thank you very much :).

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Canada and the US have always been the heavy favorites since 1998, largely based on NHL scoring stats, but neither team has produced in the Olympics when it has been played away from the North American continent. A star-studded Canadian team finished fourth in Nagano, and even worse in Torino. Same with the US, by and large. Today is today, and you can't always go by what happened in the past, but this is the Olympics, and emotion plays so much more of a factor than in the average, night in and night out NHL game. I'm not saying that Russia deserves to be favored, but I won't be a bit surprised if they win gold.
In the late '90s, Canada's elite players were not as good as what we have now. Beside Paul Kariya (who missed Nagano), Joe Sakic, Eric Lindros, Theo Fleury and a couple of others, Europeans and Americans were leading the scoring board. In 2006, we brought in Ryan Smyth, Kris Draper, Shane Doan and Todd Bertuzzi. Those aren't too elite IMO. You can argue that Jamie Benn, Matt Duchene and Chris Kunitz are questionable, but they're still a notch above those 2006 players. I think Canada has greatly improved our production of forwards. On the other hand, our goaltending got much worse. I prefer having better forwards though.

Anyway, Canada is the favourite in Sochi, but we never dominated even on the small ice surface, so we're surely not going to dominate on the big ice surface and it's going to be much harder for us at these Olympics. Still I think we can do it, but I won't be surprised either if Russia wins Gold. I expect Russia to at least medal. With Canada, it's either gold/silver or nothing. We don't seem to be capable of winning bronze.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA

Russian Captain' Pavel Datsyuk could miss Olympics w/ groin injury. Would be a huge loss. #Sochi2014

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
Swiss chickened out :sarcasm:

Sean Simpson is Canadian. He says that there is no benefit for his team to have a pre- tournament game as the Russian team is not the team the Swiss will face during the main event (due to the absence of the NHL players) I kinda see his point.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Sean Simpson is Canadian. He says that there is no benefit for his team to have a pre- tournament game as the Russian team is not the team the Swiss will face during the main event (due to the absence of the NHL players) I kinda see his point.

Good opportunity to gel as a team non the less no?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA

Russian Captain' Pavel Datsyuk could miss Olympics w/ groin injury. Would be a huge loss. #Sochi2014

Dear god no.

Well at least the games that count aren't for a weak.

Last edited:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
It's been reported that he's currently playing on one knee. I doubt it's his groin.

He had a groin injury too.

People didn't think too much of it on here, because they aren't Capitals fans. Every player that gets groin injuries is going to have to accept they will just re-injure it again.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't worry. I'm sure everything's fine and dandy and he'll be back to normal in no time.

I don't think Datsyuk is going to be fine until the off-season, have a feeling he is heading towards off-season surgery of some kind, they are not being very open about what is hurting him. It was originally the concussion, then a groin, then it was a leg, then it was the knee, then it was the ankle, we have heard a lot. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he has a sports hernia and/or needs his knee cleaned up and it is causing problems throughout his entire body at this point as he tries compensating for the injury.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I don't think Datsyuk is going to be fine until the off-season, have a feeling he is heading towards off-season surgery of some kind, they are not being very open about what is hurting him. It was originally the concussion, then a groin, then it was a leg, then it was the knee, then it was the ankle, we have heard a lot. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he has a sports hernia and/or needs his knee cleaned up and it is causing problems throughout his entire body at this point as he tries compensating for the injury.

I was being sarcastic because there had been some skepticism from my previous posts in this thread concerning Datsyuk's health.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
Good opportunity to gel as a team non the less no?

I guess they don't really need it. Simpson is the head coach, so he does whatever he thinks is best for the team. I can't blame him for making this decision. And, frankly speaking, I don't see any huge benefits to play this game for team Russia as well. Bill says it's to test some guys for the world cup. I guess Simpson has no questions about his world cup roster at the moment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad