Olympics: 2014 — Russia Roster Discussion (part II) (released, post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!

I agree.

I am sick of the hype Sweden in particular have been getting. Our scoring lines were better than theirs since Semin was added. Now they lose Sedin and Franzen, and it's no longer even close in the offensive department.

Lundqvist meanwhile is no longer a top 3 goalie in the world without those big pads. He is now "just" another elite goaltender. Bobrovsky has been better than Lundqvist these past 2 years, and he may not even be the starting goaltender for Team Russia.

Finally, their defence. Yes, it is superior to Russia's. That being said, they had the opportunity to take 7 world class, top-pairing defenders to Sochi. They left two of them at home (Brodin, Hedman). Therefore, three of their 8 defenders are now quite mediocre: Oduya, Tallinder, and Ericsson will be matchups other teams will target with their top lines. A fourth defender (Edler) is a complete wildcard, an enigma who can play world class hockey or be a liability on the ice. This guy is in his prime years and healthy, but last I saw him he looked completely out of form. Finally, their #1 D-man Karlsson is, as we all know, a purely offensive player, who can occasionally be exposed in his own end by high-end offensive talent, which Russia has plenty of.

In short, while their D is still impressive, I see plenty of opportunities there for Russia's top 6 to exploit. Sweden could have iced a truly world class defence, one that could shut teams down and perhaps rival Canada's defence. Instead, they made two glaring snubs, and are also stuck with a question mark in Edler.

On the whole, I think Russia matches up very well against the Swedes.

The USA meanwhile is a different beast, an interesting team which lacks high-end center talent. Their speed and defence will be hard to deal with. That game will be a great measuring stick to see where this Russian squad is at.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I agree with everything you said, but Lundqvist is still very much one of the top goalies in the world. He had a slow start this season but look at his recent form, it's unmatched by any other goalie in the NHL. He needed some time to get used to the smaller pads but he's ready now and he will not be reverting to the bigger pads for the Olympics even though he is allowed to.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Those looking for reasons to be negative about the team will find reasons to be negative about the team.

VladNYC*

Personally im optimistic and am really looking forward to watching our guys put on a show at home. :handclap:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Datsyuk picked up an assist tonight but he's far from 100%. Skating like an old man, no quickness or explosion which usually allows him separation, and weak along the boards compared to usual.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Hypothetically, if Datsyuk were to pull out from Olympic, who is going to be the replacement center?

In my opinion, I really dont think injured datsyuk will be able to help team russia in any fashion on international ice.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
Can anyone roughly translate?

Q. How was your trip? How is the team doing?
A. Everything is good.
Q. Why did you make this decision to bring the KHLers today and the NHLers later on?
A. Due to the league calendars. The KHL calendar allowed us to bring the KHL players a bit earlier to have some time for practicing. The NHLers are playing their last games today. They are coming to Sochi a day after tomorrow.
Q. How was the training camp in Kazan?
A. I think it was very good. We were very satisfied.
Q. What about changing your roster due to the injuries?
A. We had to make some changes and we are still having some issues.
Q. What about Pavel Datsyuk's condition?
A. He played one game after being injured. He is playing the second game tonight. So far we are OK with his performance. Hopefully we will have no concerns after his second game.
Q. You mentioned before that you were having some concerns about Ilia Kovalchuk’s performance. Are you still having these concerns?
A. I think he is in a good shape. I have no issues with Ilia.
Q. What about all these extra players arriving today?
A. Tomorrow we have a pre tournament game. I think it’s gonna be a good opportunity for us to test some players for the world cup. E.g. Kokarev, Chudinov, Burmistrov.
Q. How many players arrived today?
A. 17
Q. Are there any changes to the Olympic roster?
A. No
Q. Do you have any concerns about possible injuries in the tomorrow's game against the Swiss?
A. Anything can happen, but we had this game scheduled as a part of our preparation for the main tournament.
Q. Did you watch the opening ceremony?
A. Blah-blah-blah.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Hypothetically, if Datsyuk were to pull out from Olympic, who is going to be the replacement center?

In my opinion, I really dont think injured datsyuk will be able to help team russia in any fashion on international ice.

Panarin, Burmistrov, maybe Mozyakin (heard he was still in consideration after Soin's injury).

Edit: It wouldn't necessarily need to be a center, I think. Malkin, Tikhonov, Anisimov, Tereschenko, Svitov already on the squad.

Last edited:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
If Datsyuk isn't able to play, all things point to Burmistrov replacing him.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Datsyuk will play. Of course he's rusty; it takes time. He'll be better in the next game.

hour

Jan 9, 2014
Latvia
From Bill's interview: Radulov and Kovy will play on one line. Also he likes how Popov and Tereshenko performed together. link

russianhockey

Apr 22, 2007
www.russianhockey.de
Russia's current lines:

Kovy-Burmistrov-Radulov
Medvedev-Chudinov

Tikhonov-Tereshchenko-Popov
Зубарев-Nikulin

Averin-Svitov-Plotnikov
Рясенский-Денисов

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

what a nonsense. he's recovering. he'll be there come actual games at the Olympics.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
In the Olympic format where it's basically a 1 game playoff when it comes down to it, anything can happen. A hot goaltender, a hot power play, or a hot line can be the difference. Funny things can happen in 1 game.

With that being said, Russia probably ranks 3rd at best on paper. Canada is a clear cut #1 and there really isn't much debate about it. Their depth is unparalleled. USA would be #2. Their deep, have elite scoring players like Kane and Kessel, and are full of really good 2-way players that are difficult to play against.

Sweden looked really good on paper when both the Sedin's were on and playing their normal level, but they still have nice depth and arguably the best goaltender in the game.

Russia has a handful of highly skilled scoring forwards, but I question their depth and defensive game when compared to the North American teams. Add the fact that their most complete, 2-way center is far from 100% and it becomes worrisome. They do, however, have the home crowd at their disposal. Whether that becomes an advantage or a disadvantage because of the pressure is to be determined.

Can Russia win Gold? Absolutely. Would I bet on them? Absolutely not.

Canada and the US have always been the heavy favorites since 1998, largely based on NHL scoring stats, but neither team has produced in the Olympics when it has been played away from the North American continent. A star-studded Canadian team finished fourth in Nagano, and even worse in Torino. Same with the US, by and large. Today is today, and you can't always go by what happened in the past, but this is the Olympics, and emotion plays so much more of a factor than in the average, night in and night out NHL game. I'm not saying that Russia deserves to be favored, but I won't be a bit surprised if they win gold.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Canada and the US have always been the heavy favorites since 1998, largely based on NHL scoring stats, but neither team has produced in the Olympics when it has been played away from the North American continent. A star-studded Canadian team finished fourth in Nagano, and even worse in Torino. Same with the US, by and large. Today is today, and you can't always go by what happened in the past, but this is the Olympics, and emotion plays so much more of a factor than in the average, night in and night out NHL game. I'm not saying that Russia deserves to be favored, but I won't be a bit surprised if they win gold.
2002 was on the big ice but your right overseas they haven't accomplished anything.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Pavel Datsyuk ‏@Datsyuk13 1h
Boarding a plane. On the way to Sochi.

Pavel Datsyuk ‏@Datsyuk13 8m
Signing off the air for 2 weeks to compete in Sochi. My friend "Shakespeare" is taking over my account to post my messages @danmilstein

Seems like Pasha expects to be good to go. :handclap: :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad