Olympics: 2014 — Finland Roster Discussion (Part II) (Released, post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
It's not the minutes per game, it's the game frequency. The Ducks play around three games a week, and even then Teemu is sitting some out. In the olympics, there will be double the games in that time.

It's a bigger ice surface so he doesn't need to battle along the boards so much and waste energy. And he would have Barkov and Korpikoski doing most of those battles. And you can easily have 3PP lines in those first 2 games. And do you really think that Selanne would be okay with sitting in the bench for 10 minutes at a time so JMA could take his spot? And how would the other NHL players on the team react seeing their biggest idol sitting out and having JMA take his place?

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
1074223.jpg

I nearly died when I saw this :laugh:

Translation: cut out the Lasse (Kukkonen) mask and attach to your face, do not cut holes over the eyes, enjoy Finland's games from your home couch with Lasse's hockey vision

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
1074223.jpg

I nearly died when I saw this :laugh:

Translation: cut out the Lasse (Kukkonen) mask and attach to your face, do not cut holes over the eyes, enjoy Finland's games from your home couch with Lasse's hockey vision

If Kukkonen's vision is that bad, how bad is Väänänen's one?

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
It's not the minutes per game, it's the game frequency. The Ducks play around three games a week, and even then Teemu is sitting some out. In the olympics, there will be double the games in that time.

Six games in a week? That's a lot of games. If they really play six games a week, you might wanna rest some key players against Norway and Austria.

Teemu skips one of the two games when Anaheim plays back-to-back. I don't know what they should do when Finland plays back-to-back-to-back in the Olympics.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Six games in a week? That's a lot of games. If they really play six games a week, you might wanna rest some key players against Norway and Austria.

Teemu skips one of the two games when Anaheim plays back-to-back. I don't know what they should do when Finland plays back-to-back-to-back in the Olympics.

I will rage if Selänne doesn't sit one of the first two games

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well... eight days, to be exact.

First there are back-to-back games against Austria and Norway on THU 14 and SAT 15, then a day's break, then Canada on SUN 17. Then the schedule depends on whether there will be a direct bye to the QFs or if elimination round is required. If it is, there's potentially back-to-back games on TUE 18 and WEB 19 (the QF). If won, the semifinal will be on FRI 21.

So considering Finland makes at least the quarterfinal, that will be two back-to-backs plus a game in one week's time.

One can actually start to see why they took Aaltonen and Pihlström. Say what you will about their smarts, those two have wicked legs. To have them fresh when the fifth game rolls around could end up deciding a lot.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Who will be the penalty killers? I'm sure Korpedo,Komarov and Pillu will be but after that? If it's Koivu and Filppula they will be playing something like 24 min per game..

Pillu isn't that good of a PK guy. He doesn't have the hockey IQ for that. All he has is legs, but he doesn't really have the head or the hands. We have no other choice except to use Filppula and Koivu, thanks to Erkka going with such an offensively-minded overall roster.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I will rage if Selänne doesn't sit one of the first two games

He should be drinking hot chocolate at the end of the bench for those two games.. Let Aaltonen dangle austria the way they can't find out of the Arena anymore. We need Teemu in real tests.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Pillu isn't that good of a PK guy. He doesn't have the hockey IQ for that. All he has is legs, but he doesn't really have the head or the hands. We have no other choice except to use Filppula and Koivu, thanks to Erkka going with such an offensively-minded overall roster.
I'd say the best PKers out of that roster are M.Koivu, Filppula, Ruutu, Komarov, Korpikoski and J.Jokinen. Barkov will probably be utilized too. Good reach and great at faceoffs.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

He has played pk in the WC before and i'm sure Erkka would have selected other player if he wouldn't utilize Pillu on the pk. Didn't Kontiola play on the pk too?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
We'll probably have two centers in both PK's... Means we can try to cheat tiny bit every time in the first draw. Should help us winning faceoffs in PK, as many times bit of stealing is let trough by the refs, they don't bother to change the draw taker in every draw.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I think every forward except Aaltonen and Selänne would be adept at killing penalties. It gives alot of freedom to the coaching staff with formations. I wouldn't be surprised if almost every line had a penalty killing duo.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
So considering Finland makes at least the quarterfinal, that will be two back-to-backs plus a game in one week's time.

I think you made it sound like Teemu has trouble playing three games in seven days. Teemu sits out one game when Anaheim has a back-to-back. They have 12 back-to-backs this season. Ten of those have them playing 3 games in 4 days, and two times they're playing 3 games in 5 days.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I'd say the best PKers out of that roster are M.Koivu, Filppula, Ruutu, Komarov, Korpikoski and J.Jokinen. Barkov will probably be utilized too. Good reach and great at faceoffs.

Does J.Jokinen kill penalties in Pittsburgh? Is there someone that dosen't play PK?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
O.Jokinen,J.Jokinen,Ruutu have played very little pk and Selänne hasn't played at all.
Their roles in their current club teams might not always reflect the things they've done earlier - or are good at.

Jussi, despite his current highly offensive role with the Pens, is still a very many-faceted utility forward. He's been part of PK units before.

In other (good) news, Nummelin apparently pulled his groin - once again. He's so damn fragile that there's no way Erkka can consider him among the first replacements if need be.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
It's a bigger ice surface so he doesn't need to battle along the boards so much and waste energy. And he would have Barkov and Korpikoski doing most of those battles. And you can easily have 3PP lines in those first 2 games. And do you really think that Selanne would be okay with sitting in the bench for 10 minutes at a time so JMA could take his spot? And how would the other NHL players on the team react seeing their biggest idol sitting out and having JMA take his place?

I fully understand JMA-disgrace as not being his biggest fans either, but everyone who thinks JMA has taken someone else place I wanna ask, have you actually seen single one game from him this year? Would you answer please this, and if so, why didn't like his game.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
any Chance Lehtonen see's any icetime?
He could. Rask plays, that's a given, but currently it seems anybody's guess whether the other guy who dresses will be Lehtonen or Niemi.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Little worried about Finlands D but their goaltending is so insane it should make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad