Olympics: 2014 — Finland Roster Discussion (Part II) (Released, post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Roster Released.

Goalies
LEHTONEN Kari, Dallas Stars
NIEMI Antti, San Jose Sharks
RASK Tuukka, Boston Bruins

Defensemen
HIETANEN Juuso, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod
KUKKONEN Lasse, Kärpät Oulu
LEPISTÖ Sami, Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg
MÄÄTTÄ Olli, Pittsburgh Penguins
SALO Sami, Tampa Bay Lightning
TIMONEN Kimmo, Philadelphia Flyers
VATANEN Sami, Anaheim Ducks
VÄÄNÄNEN Ossi, Jokerit Helsinki

Forwards
AALTONEN Juhamatti, Kärpät Oulu
BARKOV Aleksander, Florida Panthers
FILPPULA Valtteri, Tampa Bay Lightning
GRANLUND Mikael, Minnesota Wild
JOKINEN Jussi, Pittsburgh Penguins
JOKINEN Olli, Winnipeg Jets
KOIVU Mikko, Minnesota Wild
KOMAROV Leo, Dynamo Moscow
KONTIOLA Petri, Traktor Chelyabinsk
KORPIKOSKI Lauri, Phoenix Coyotes
LEHTERÄ Jori, Sibir Novosibirsk
PIHLSTRÖM Antti, Salavat Yulaev Ufa
RUUTU Tuomo, Carolina Hurricanes
SELÄNNE Teemu, Anaheim Ducks

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Who needs shutout lines; instead it would be worth it to go full throttle:

Filppula M.Koivu Ruutu
Granlund O.Jokinen Armia
JJokinen Haula Leino
Aaltonen Kontiola Selänne

Barkov, Korpikoski

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Why does so many "experts" leave Barkov out of the team?
Because there is no age handicap in the olympics.

Many people are dazzled by Barkov, and it's justified. It is pretty damn mean feat tor an 18-year-old to make it where he is. However, the key notion in the preceding sentence is his age. When you compare him to all players, no matter the age, you'll soon come to a realization that his stats are actually pretty mediocre and he obviously still has a lot to learn.

Barkov's achievements need to be put in perspective. Yes, he will no doubt be a superb player for both the Panthers and Finnish NT one day. And he probably wouldn't be lost in Sochi either. Here's the thing though - if Sasha were a, say, 30-year-old player instead of 18-year-old, playing like he is now, and we had a pick of four or five centres with better showings, how many of you would be having him in?

Currently, Barkov is a player who doesn't look out of place in Florida's lineup by all means. But he isn't yet somebody who can decide games for them on a nightly basis. Yet, Florida has no need to reduce his role, because they have time. They can happily wait a season or two to groom him into a such player. Team Finland doesn't have the time. They need players who best fit that mold by February.

Now, I won't complain if Sasha makes the final cut. It'd be interesting to see how he holds up. But I also won't complain if he doesn't make it. Because being a superkid does not make him a superman, or even better than average. Not yet.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
As much as one wanted Barkov to be in the squad - let's face it, there's simply not room for him. Since those more experienced centers are ahead of him in pecking order: M.Koivu, Filppula, OJokinen, SKoivu, Kontiola, Lehterä, maybe even Immonen - and only then comes Barkov. If he doesn't go on a tear soon.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Barkov is perfect 13th forward for Sochi. Pushing him to playing lineup might be stretch.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Now that Juuso Puustinen is ripping the FEL apart he should get a look in to make the team. I mean seriously, if he continues on that hot streak and keeps burying the puck thrice in a game like it's nothing - you cannot but really consider taking the guy over some err.. vet.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Even more viable candidate could be Toni Rajala, who is currently 9+6 in 14 games played in the SHL. He has pretty much become the most feared Finnish sniper across the gulf since Tomi Kallio.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
Everybody who doesn't have maatta in top 6 should move into a cave or shut up. He's playing top4 minutes in Pittsburgh and is awesome. Everybody has vatanen in their lineup but not maatta. That just shows how many of people on this thread watches only highlights. Vats is super offensive threat but so is Nummelin. Both are pure s#it at defence but like people who says OJ over Barkov because he has so much more experience should have Nummelin in there too with the same logic.

Watch some Pittsburgh&/Florida game not just highlights so you see it yourself. Barks is great for 3/4th line because he just is a guy who will pick the puck from own end and take it to offensive end, maybe gives a sexy saucer to his winger who of course shoots it to Norway. He is almost worthy of datsyuk when you have to steal a puck. Bad luck is biggest reason why he haven't put up big numbers, ****** linemates too, take a look at Florida's board and you see ecactly same things said by fans. He carries pure crap linemates Like Koivu brother's have done in the past.

Teukka gave this interview about Torino and Erkka where he said that silver medal was gained because of Erkka's strictly roled lineup where everybody knew exactly what they should do on ice. The other reason is because Niittymaki but i think he played that way cause coach told him to stand on his head :naughty: That's what you all should think about before making those frustrating lineups. Thanks

Coaster

Jul 5, 2013
Vaasa
Lets face it guys. At the moment Selänne has no business in the olympic team. He's completely lost his scoring touch. He seems to lose every single battle. And he's never been useful in the defensive zone. He's given some good passes, but that's about it. A lot of people also seem to forget that he is 43 years old, so he'll be completely out of gas once we reach the gold medal game.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
So, if Selänne and Granlund are out -and we have red hot Rajala and Puustinen alongside Aaltonen and uptrending Leino and Haula plus Armia who is just about hitting his stride: there's lot of offense there, boys. Lots of offense.

Aaltonen Leino Rajala
Puustinen Haula Armia

Make it happen, Erkka.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Everybody who doesn't have maatta in top 6 should move into a cave or shut up. He's playing top4 minutes in Pittsburgh and is awesome. Everybody has vatanen in their lineup but not maatta. That just shows how many of people on this thread watches only highlights. Vats is super offensive threat but so is Nummelin. Both are pure s#it at defence but like people who says OJ over Barkov because he has so much more experience should have Nummelin in there too with the same logic.

Watch some Pittsburgh&/Florida game not just highlights so you see it yourself. Barks is great for 3/4th line because he just is a guy who will pick the puck from own end and take it to offensive end, maybe gives a sexy saucer to his winger who of course shoots it to Norway. He is almost worthy of datsyuk when you have to steal a puck. Bad luck is biggest reason why he haven't put up big numbers, ****** linemates too, take a look at Florida's board and you see ecactly same things said by fans. He carries pure crap linemates Like Koivu brother's have done in the past.

Teukka gave this interview about Torino and Erkka where he said that silver medal was gained because of Erkka's strictly roled lineup where everybody knew exactly what they should do on ice. The other reason is because Niittymaki but i think he played that way cause coach told him to stand on his head :naughty: That's what you all should think about before making those frustrating lineups. Thanks

That's simply not true. Vatanen has his limitations but he has held his own defensively in the NHL just fine. He is far from "pure sh#t".

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
So, if Selänne and Granlund are out -and we have red hot Rajala and Puustinen alongside Aaltonen and uptrending Leino and Haula plus Armia who is just about hitting his stride: there's lot of offense there, boys. Lots of offense.

Aaltonen Leino Rajala
Puustinen Haula Armia

Make it happen, Erkka.

Haula? Armia? Rajala? Wou, just wou!

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
I rather have Barkov as a 3rd or 4th line center than Kontiola, Barkov has been awesome at his own end, except last night, but i don't think even Datsjuk can contain Malkin when he gets going. And this Olli Maatta and Vatanen thing, we need them both. Vatanen because of his offensive skills and Maatta for his overall playing, and the age or expierience issue, i don't care neither should Erkka, either you can play with the best or you can't, and i don't trust Kontiola and Immonen in defensive zone

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
The only excuse to leave Määttä out would be his lack of experience, but even that wouldn't cut it with me. He's needed. Period. Picking someone like Nummelin over him would be pure horse ****.

As far as Leino goes, if OJ is a risk in the top 6, Leino would be a huge risk. I would rather see JMA in Sochi, and that's a lot coming from me. Who would Leino even replace to begin with? He would need to be in a scoring role. OJ with Leino doesn't sound good, and I think he's too much of an artist to play with M. Koivu.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
As far as Leino goes, if OJ is a risk in the top 6, Leino would be a huge risk. I would rather see JMA in Sochi, and that's a lot coming from me. Who would Leino even replace to begin with? He would need to be in a scoring role. OJ with Leino doesn't sound good, and I think he's too much of an artist to play with M. Koivu.
Leino has actually been picking it up after the change in the Sabres management. But in a sense, that just underlines the risk he might be. He's obviously a very high maintenance player - even higher than OJ - and only thrives under very specific circumstances.

With no previous experiences, whether Erkka would be able to provide such an environment for him or not would be anybody's guess. In other words, a huge gamble.

He should have no room in an all-healthy best twelve, but he is a player bit akin to Granlund. If MiG's injury troubles persist, he probably is one of the more prominent replacements. Also, Erkka might be forced to realize that Selänne might not cut it if his far-too-obvious-to-ignore slump persists. All this talk about Armia, Haula and Rajala is an entertaining sideshow, but the odds are Leino becomes an option before any of them.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Leino has actually been picking it up after the change in the Sabres management. But in a sense, that just underlines the risk he might be. He's obviously a very high maintenance player - even higher than OJ - and only thrives under very specific circumstances.

With no previous experiences, whether Erkka would be able to provide such an environment for him or not would be anybody's guess. In other words, a huge gamble.

He should have no room in an all-healthy best twelve, but he is a player bit akin to Granlund. If MiG's injury troubles persist, he probably is one of the more prominent replacements. Also, Erkka might be forced to realize that Selänne might not cut it if his far-too-obvious-to-ignore slump persists. All this talk about Armia, Haula and Rajala is an entertaining sideshow, but the odds are Leino becomes an option before any of them.

I wouldn't object to him replacing Teemu if he keeps on slumping. Leino would still be a risk, but so would Teemu in his current state.

I guess they'd place him on the 2nd line if it turned out Granlund can't go (although it's still much too early to come to that conclusion), and I have to say I would be scared of that line. And not in the 'they're going to be so good it's scary' way. The Haulas, Armias and Rajalas aren't very realistic options, but in the case Leino would feel like a too risky option to Erkka, he could look for a replacement among the best Euro wingers instead. Leino's potential would be higher, but on the other hand the risk would be bigger as well.

With that said, I would seriously consider entering Granlund in the final roster list even if he's still on IR by that time, assuming he's expected to be back soon. You can still pick a replacement if he can't go, but he's one of the best we've got and we need to take every chance we can to get the best possible roster.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
When will the Izvestija roster be announced? If and when Rajala and Puustinen are selected and perform out of this world there - then they really become viable options to Sochi, right?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If and when Rajala and Puustinen are selected and perform out of this world there - then they really become viable options to Sochi, right?
Only if they were on the long list of players Erkka submitted for doping control in October. Which appears doubtful.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Erkka should try Barkov, Korpikoski and someone like Hartikainen or Joensuu as 3rd line, they would absolutly kill oppositions defenders on cycle game and could get lots of powerplays for finland.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
When will the Izvestija roster be announced? If and when Rajala and Puustinen are selected and perform out of this world there - then they really become viable options to Sochi, right?

rajala in izvestija???? finns playing in shl never gets the chance in lejionat.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Erkka should try Barkov, Korpikoski and someone like Hartikainen or Joensuu as 3rd line, they would absolutly kill oppositions defenders on cycle game and could get lots of powerplays for finland.

Two cylinders of three would be choking slow and they would get blown by and out.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
rajala in izvestija???? finns playing in shl never gets the chance in lejionat.

I don't know if it was you who I already told this, but that's pure BS. There have been plenty of players from the SHL in the Finnish NT. Not everyone gets a chance, but the best and most suitable ones do. But don't be surprised if Anssi Salmela's name is missing from the EHT roster again. He could be playing in Finland or the KHL, but he still wouldn't be on the team and he only has himself to blame.

Rajala is someone who I wouldn't mind getting a shot in EHT. We need to use more young players and he's done well this season.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere

Aaltonen Leino Rajala
Puustinen Haula Armia

Make it happen, Erkka.

Pipe dream, but maybe these players have a shot at the WC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad