Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part IX)

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
And so we might ask, would Bobby Ryan have made a difference in the semi-final game between Canada and the USA?

Canadas defense was simply too good... Kessel was the only one even coming close to creating offence and he had Toews on him all night... Where the **** was Patrick Kane? Parise? I doubt Ryan would have done anything Canada was just too good.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Brown was one of our best forwards? God no.

You don't neeed 5 centers. Those guys are all talented enough to fill in voids if there was injury.

You absolutely, absolutely, absolutely need at least 5 natural centers in a tournament like this.

It's single-game elimination tournament. You can't just throw natural wingers out of position in a tournament against the best players in the world.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Better than Browns 10+6 in 58 and Stefan's 35 in 58

Without those two players how can you say that?

If you're going to come at our team not being better than Canadas I don't think you should talk.

By saying that i should not talk i assume you mean USA with Okposo and Ryan is at least as good as Canadas team on paper. I would say you're wrong on any given metric there. How does one even come to such a conclusion?
I dont say that the US cant win, but to expect it from them is to be begging for heart-ache.

member 151739

Canadas defense was simply too good... Kessel was the only one even coming close to creating offence and he had Toews on him all night... Where the **** was Patrick Kane? Parise? I doubt Ryan would have done anything Canada was just too good.

840201337.gif

It's pretty funny that you think Kessel was the only one even close to creating offense. He was terrible.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Kane stood out in a sense that he was outstandingly bad at creating offense.

Pretty much. Way too much one on one stuff the entire tourney. There were a number of time he tried to skate through guys instead of passing or dumping it by the defense.

In the end, the Canadian defense stopped the USA's offense. Quick was the only reason it wasn't a blowout.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Jack Johnson (mostly because of how he plays in the jersey historically) and Kyle Okposo are really the guys to discuss postmortem, but I agree with how the constructed this team. I don't think with Bylsma as coach they could have expected much better.

Not surprised to see Yandle and Ryan brought up but their problems as hockey players could have been on display as well today not just the good elements those guys bring. The fact Yandle cannot check elite talent to save his life would have led to even more chances and a bigger loss margin can be argued. Slow Bobby Ryan probably wouldn't have helped much either. Okposo at least fit the established team identity and JMFJ has fit in well in the past.

They had the talent to win with what they brought and an identity, they got out coached and just didn't play well enough in a one and done format today, it happens.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
840201337.gif

It's pretty funny that you think Kessel was the only one even close to creating offense. He was terrible.

Neither played great but how can you blame them against that defense? Kessel and Kane were the only ones that created legitimate offensive chances, the rest were completely invisible.

member 151739

Was there a penalty on that play?

What, on Parise? No.

Neither played great but how can you blame them against that defense? Kessel and Kane were the only ones that created legitimate offensive chances, the rest were completely invisible.

I don't, really. The entire team didn't show up. I thought Parise was good as well.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Ryan would have been smothered the same as the other USA forwards, and his poor defensive play would have hurt them. But , they shouldn't have chosen Brown.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
What, on Parise? No.

I don't, really. The entire team didn't show up. I thought Parise was good as well.

I counted Kessel having 3 good scoring chances and Fowler was an inch away from scoring on that Kessel feed but Price made an unbelievable save... their D was to much to handle

JustinYS

Oct 21, 2010
Has Brown done anything all tournament? (serious question) He was just invisible today and I question why the US brass took him.

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
Coaching for the usa is very limited.
Who else is there that's available: Blysma, Laviolette, Torts, Richards, Capuano, and Eakins.
Blysma is defintley the best of what's available.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Maybe.
It would have been nice to have him out there on those power play opportunities.

Might not of matter if Bylsma's approach was not to get a guy in front of Price. I can't think of a single time on the pp that a USA player was trying to screen the goalie. They were trapped to the outside or it was a passing drilled until Canada got the puck back and cleared it.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
A lot of folks around here need to acknowledge just how wrong they were about Jonathan Quick. He was sensational today and strong throughout the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad