Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part IX)

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Better than Browns 10+6 in 58 and Stefan's 35 in 58

Without those two players how can you say that?

If you're going to come at our team not being better than Canadas I don't think you should talk.

Brown was one of our best forwards

Stepan was our 14th forward. It doesn't really matter who it is, since they don't play. Not to mention that they needed 5 centers

ashenhigh

Aug 27, 2008
Los Angeles
Dustin "Knee Torpedo" Brown... 2g 1a +4

Zach "Fart in the Wind" Parise 1g 0a -1

By better choice as captain I mean. I agree Parise has been pretty underwhelming this tourney. But I'm just not a fan of Brown's game, I think he is a borderline dirty player and living in LA and watching him through the years I just see him becoming a dirtier player each season. Thus, glad he wasn't the captain of the squad.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Brown was one of our best forwards

Stepan was our 14th forward. It doesn't really matter who it is, since they don't play. Not to mention that they needed 5 centers
Brown was one of our best forwards? God no.

You don't neeed 5 centers. Those guys are all talented enough to fill in voids if there was injury.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
was I the only one who after watching Blake Wheeler for one shift scream out loud " WHERE THE **** HAS THIS GUY BEEN"? Seriously, he looked like a rocket out there for the brief few moments he played. I don't understand why Bylsma never rotated him in.

Big Body - check

Fast as hell - check

Shoots the puck - check

I get that he made a blunder real early on, but come on, he needed to be out there a lot earlier then they decided to throw him out there.

I was puzzled how little he was used. He is a talented guy. You find minutes for a guy like that, especially with that intimidating Canadian defense.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
was I the only one who after watching Blake Wheeler for one shift scream out loud " WHERE THE **** HAS THIS GUY BEEN"? Seriously, he looked like a rocket out there for the brief few moments he played. I don't understand why Bylsma never rotated him in.

Big Body - check

Fast as hell - check

Shoots the puck - check

I get that he made a blunder real early on, but come on, he needed to be out there a lot earlier then they decided to throw him out there.
I said the exact same thing. "Holy **** is this his first shift of the game? I forgot he was even dressed."

Too many players were just invisible today. People can argue the U.S. took too much grit over skill, but I don't even think that's why we lost. Would have been nice if Dustin Brown and Backes and them showed up with a more physical game, and Parise actually did something, etc. It is what it is. Not only were we "out-skilled" but we also lost too many puck battles. The grit wasn't there. We had a solid balance throughout the tournament until today.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I said the exact same thing. "Holy **** is this his first shift of the game? I forgot he was even dressed."

Too many players were just invisible today. People can argue the U.S. took too much grit over skill, but I don't even think that's why we lost. Would have been nice if Dustin Brown and Backes and them showed up with a more physical game, and Parise actually did something, etc. It is what it is.

You mean other than having more shots than Kane, Kesler, Backes, Pavelski and JVR combined?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
He wasn't the only one. That so called beast of a man named Backes was also nowhere to be seen. The USA were shut down at almost every area of the game. What you all saw today was just a flat out domination by Canada and almost every single USA players was nowhere to be seen. I saw that pudgy fat guy Kessel a few times but that was minimal.

lol'd, and you're right. Canada outright controlled this game after the 10:00 mark. This was a complete let down, especially after the 2010 game, despite Canadians coming in here trying to console us and tell us otherwise.

How can anyone not be disappointed by this?

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
lol'd, and you're right. Canada outright controlled this game after the 10:00 mark. This was a complete let down, especially after the 2010 game, despite Canadians coming in here trying to console us and tell us otherwise.

How can anyone not be disappointed by this?

Agreed. I'm debating what feels worse. Being the best team in a tournament and losing in an absolute war of a game, or crashing and burning after four years of waiting. There was never one second that I felt like we were in this game after the Kessel attempt.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
denied.
840201337.gif

Oh my, this looks so much worse than it did live. Holy crap Parise, useless.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You mean other than having more shots than Kane, Kesler, Backes, Pavelski and JVR combined?
:biglaugh: Keep defending your boy. I wonder why you're the only one that thought he played well...

Also the defense is not why we lost so these posts about the Johnsons and Yandle are just as funny. They wouldn't have made a difference at all.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
:biglaugh: Keep defending your boy. I wonder why you're the only one that thought he played well...

Keep defending? This is literally my only post about Parise in this thread.

He didn't play bad enough to be singled out, unless you're talking more about the Olympics as a whole, not just the Canada game, in which case you'd have a point. Against Canada, he was the among the least of our concerns.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

Also the defense is not why we lost so these posts about the Johnsons and Yandle are just as funny. They wouldn't have made a difference at all.

I agree. The problem is up front. Not enough bulk w/skill up front. With the larger Canadian defense, the U.S. needed more power forward types.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Everyone knew these hindsight snub posts were going to happen if/when they didn't win gold. No point in getting all bent out of shape over them.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
**** it, the game is over. I ain't gonna sit here and over-analyze like the lot of you.

Let's get this Bronze medal tomorrow, boys.
EEvwypz.gif

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
good try americans. must feel bad for kesler. its either bronze or nothing at all. get another coach. and pick better players. same can be said about the cdn side as well. so its a moot point. byslma doesn't cut it.

GameEight

Sep 10, 2012
Bobby Ryan, USA v. Canada

And so we might ask, would Bobby Ryan have made a difference in the semi-final game between Canada and the USA?

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
Short answer, no.
They were already set for forwards on the top 2 lines.
Ryan isn't someone you'd put in a checking role.
Add to the fact, he's not exactly the greatest skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad