Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part IX)

Godlike13

Dec 20, 2011
denied.
840201337.gif

:shakehead What a pass by Kane too.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Glad to see other team's fans noticed this. Would KO single handily win the game for us? I don't think so, but he would have made the team better.

The lack of physically in the game from USA was frightening
He's been nothing but superb this year. Him and Ryan would have been the offensive punch the team needed.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
was I the only one who after watching Blake Wheeler for one shift scream out loud " WHERE THE **** HAS THIS GUY BEEN"? Seriously, he looked like a rocket out there for the brief few moments he played. I don't understand why Bylsma never rotated him in.

Big Body - check

Fast as hell - check

Shoots the puck - check

I get that he made a blunder real early on, but come on, he needed to be out there a lot earlier then they decided to throw him out there.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
was I the only one who after watching Blake Wheeler for one shift scream out loud " WHERE THE **** HAS THIS GUY BEEN"? Seriously, he looked like a rocket out there for the brief few moments he played. I don't understand why Bylsma never rotated him in.

Big Body - check

Fast as hell - check

Shoots the puck - check

I get that he made a blunder real early on, but come on, he needed to be out there a lot earlier then they decided to throw him out there.
They needed his speed and size all game long.

I wouldn't have been against throwing Faulk out there with Carlson towards the later part of that game. Coulda used that offensive punch.

Imagine Faulk, Johnson, or Yandle with that chance that Orpik had.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

Big Body - check

Fast as hell - check

Shoots the puck - check

Haha, I thought the same thing. Going back to when he was selected for the team I was so excited to see what he could do on the big ice, but instead he's relegated to 13th forward status. So dumb, but especially in a game like today's where we badly needed a player with his skillset.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Wondering why with the stale PP we had we never tried Kessel- Kane and JVR as a unit. We were using Pavs as a point person on the pp if we really needed to he coulda took draw and rotated back to his spot.

Kessel-Kane-JVR on the pp would have been insane....

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
my issue with Wheeler was they barely played the guy - so you are telling me that Bobby Ryan couldnt have had that role?? A 2010 returnee who can snipe with the best of them couldn't have taken that spot of Wheeler?

If they weren't going to use Wheeler much, and they knew this going in, why not have Bobby Ryan there to have as a 13th forward and use on the power play???

I just will not understand not bringing Bobby Ryan along when I see Blake Wheeler getting 2 minutes of ice time. And I am not ripping Blake at all, I actually wanted to see a lot more of him, but I just felt having a guy like Bobby on the team would benefit us all around especially on the power play while not impacting much overall as indicated by Wheeler's ice time.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Parise didn't set the world on fire, but I wouldnt shoulder all the blame on him.

His role was of a checking role, if you want to blame anyone blame Bylsma for being a complete idiot and not putting Parise with Kane earlier.

Parise is a good solider, he does what is asked. If Byslma says we have JVR/Kessel and Kane/Kesler to score for us, we need you to shut down the opposition - guess what??? Parise will shut down the opposition and focus on that role.

I said it myself I expected more out of him and he was a let down, but lets calm ourselves here and understand that the team lost today and not just Parise. Many players really didnt step up like I had hoped including Kane who IMO really waited too long on a number of quality chances.

At least somebody gets it. Maybe he wil be really determined(not that he isnt already) when gets back to the wild because he didn't like his tournament. I guarantee you he is more disappointed in himself then you are disappointed in him.(same goes for the whole team).

But athletes are still humans not robots they can't be perfect all the timethis is not just for you.

Last edited:

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
my issue with Wheeler was they barely played the guy - so you are telling me that Bobby Ryan couldnt have had that role?? A 2010 returnee who can snipe with the best of them couldn't have taken that spot of Wheeler?

If they weren't going to use Wheeler much, and they knew this going in, why not have Bobby Ryan there to have as a 13th forward and use on the power play???

I just will not understand not bringing Bobby Ryan along when I see Blake Wheeler getting 2 minutes of ice time. And I am not ripping Blake at all, I actually wanted to see a lot more of him, but I just felt having a guy like Bobby on the team would benefit us all around especially on the power play while not impacting much overall as indicated by Wheeler's ice time.
Ryan shoulda just been on the team over Brown/Stepan

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I thought Orpik looked (predictably) bad. I also thought Canad smelled blood whenever Fowler had the puck. They pressured him relentlessly. I hate to cry about spilled milk, but Yandle.....

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Big Body - check

Fast as hell - check

Shoots the puck - check

Yup, he should've got more work after that shift ... in the Slovenia game...

Godlike13

Dec 20, 2011
I don't think I've ever seen a player shove an opponent with his stick blade that isn't in a cross checking manner. Pretty smart too, can't call cross checking there, he's pretty much pushing him with his stick.

Its spearing. It wasn't too much of one though.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Its spearing. It wasn't too much of one though.

Not really spearing, he's pushing him off. A spear is like the penalty describes, jabbing a players mid-section with the stickblade. That was more of a shove. Either way, smart play by Doughty to pester Parise that way as it prevented a goal.

Godlike13

Dec 20, 2011
It was a smart play, but its still spearing no matter where u poke or push them. U can't intentionally push or poke another player with ur stick blade like that. And remember that gif is in slow motion. So it looks softer, and less jabby then it really was. Also looks like he may have gotten him in the back of the helmet, maybe. Which would make it high sticking too.

Not complaining about the reffing though. Which i thought was fair.

Last edited:

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island

Because they felt Wheeler would contribute more than Ryan.
Ryan would have been played just as little...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Because they felt Wheeler would contribute more than Ryan.
Ryan would have been played just as little...

....so would Ryan have played 36 seconds compared to Wheeler and his massive minute and a half??

I mean again this is crying for the sake of it but to leave Bobby Ryan off this team where we could have used him on the PP alone would make more sense then seeing Blake Wheeler pretty much rot on the bench.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Yeah Bobby Ryan is the new Mario Lemieux. 21+22 in 59 games seem like game-breaking skills to me.

What you need to realise is that Canadas team on paper simply is better than yours, Okposo and Ryan or not.
Better than Browns 10+6 in 58 and Stefan's 35 in 58

Without those two players how can you say that?

If you're going to come at our team not being better than Canadas I don't think you should talk.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Big Body - check

Fast as hell - check

Shoots the puck - check

I've watched Wheels ( Jets fan here ) play every game for 3 seasons and not playing him today was foolish. He has amazing speed and on the big ice could have given the Canadian defense some problems. Maybe it's a case of the U.S. coach just not knowing him well enough to trust him. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad