WJC: 2014 — Sweden Roster Talk

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
and Granberg in 11/12 was a good defensive d-man, or maybe I\'m just biased as a Leafs fan :p

siegeofshanghai*

Yeah, Victor Hedman, Erik Karlsson, Oliver Ekman Larsson, Jonas Brodin.... :cry:

Too bad most of them couldn't be part of an extra year, because they weren't released by their nhl team or was injured etc.

atleast this year is a powerhouse upfront. Better than last year.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
In what end to Sweden attack in first and third period? Against A1 or A11? Or is it noway to know that? Planning on going against Russia

Pjosk

Dec 9, 2010
Lund
In what end to Sweden attack in first and third period? Against A1 or A11? Or is it noway to know that? Planning on going against Russia

I just watched NOR-SWE, and sweden attacked at the A1 end in 1st and 3rd period. I don't know if it's got something to do with home/away team for the particular game though. Sweden were wearing home jerseys... (yellow)

siegeofshanghai*

lol at the people saying dansk sucks. What has our backup accomplished then? Played against a struggling Canada and a super weak norway.

Atleast Dansk beat the US, Finland and hasn't lost a game yet.

changing goalies right now would be a huge mistake. I remember Johan Gustafsson being so-so until the playoffs.

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
After seeing how good Johnson is I got curious about this late absence Gustaf Possler. How would you compare them?

As I speculated more or less seriously on the pre-game thread the injury of Possler might turn out to be costly for team Sweden. Well, I guess it won't be that big loss in your deep team but

what would he have brought to the team if not injured: more scoring power, i reckon.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
After seeing how good Johnson is I got curious about this late absence Gustaf Possler. How would you compare them?

As I speculated more or less seriously on the pre-game thread the injury of Possler might turn out to be costly for team Sweden. Well, I guess it won't be that big loss in your deep team but

what would he have brought to the team if not injured: more scoring power, i reckon.

Even more offense for an already loaded offensive team. He's scored at a better PPG in the SEL than Wennberg, and de la Rose this year, is about the same as Johnson, and is at a better pace than Lindholm was last year.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Well, that was disappointing. We definitely had the players to win that game with that ridiculous forward depth, but this year Sweden didn't seem to go to the net as much as in recent years. This surprised me, since they have been talking about playing a more North American game for years. To shoot more and go to the net where good things famously happen.

The Finns had obviously studied our way of playing and seemed to play a perfect defensive game against us. Collapse and force the Swedes to take low percentage shots. We had all the puck possession in the world, but no end product. Guess you could say it was old school Swedish hockey although with a more active forecheck.

So much for "playing the best game last" as spoken by the coaches on SVT. In the semi-final and final, Sweden played their worst games and in OT they got too scared. No Swedish defenseman would have done those rushes that Ristolainen did, but then again I suppose we didn't have a d-man of his quality on the roster this year.

Good tournament all-in-all though.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Well, that was disappointing. We definitely had the players to win that game with that ridiculous forward depth, but this year Sweden didn't seem to go to the net as much as in recent years. This surprised me, since they have been talking about playing a more North American game for years. To shoot more and go to the net where good things famously happen.

The Finns had obviously studied our way of playing and seemed to play a perfect defensive game against us. Collapse and force the Swedes to take low percentage shots. We had all the puck possession in the world, but no end product. Guess you could say it was old school Swedish hockey although with a more active forecheck.

So much for "playing the best game last" as spoken by the coaches on SVT. In the semi-final and final, Sweden played their worst games and in OT they got too scared. No Swedish defenseman would have done those rushes that Ristolainen did, but then again I suppose we didn't have a d-man of his quality on the roster this year.

Good tournament all-in-all though.

We should have won that game, we did create a lot more quality scoring chances and had all the puck possession. Sometimes (too frequently) we just fail to put the puck in the net. Also, guys like Burakovsky & Wallmark should definitely have been on the ice in OT over guys like Sörensen & Sundqvist, you have to gamble to win.

Had the feeling all tournament long that Hägg would cost us an important goal, he just looks so shaky.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Had the feeling all tournament long that Hägg would cost us an important goal, he just looks so shaky.
I love how Ros gets crap from the Swedish people over interviewing a sad Hägg who "just needs a hug", but 4 years ago it was completely OK for everyone to write thousands of hateful comments about Rundblad, spam the kid with hate mail, boo him when he played in SEL and Wikegård who complained about him was "just doing his job".

(Nope, still not over it.)

Good tournament as usual. Congrats Finland. :handclap:

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
only 2 golds in wjc...always lose against canada, usa in important games...0 gold in u18...1 gold in u17

2 olympic golds...1 gold in 1994 aka the joke tournament and 2006 where we cheated.

in eht and world cup/cc we always lose.

we are only good in world championship.

WE ARE NOT A POWERHOUSE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad