Olympics: 2014 — Finland Roster Discussion Part IV

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
for the WC I would actually vote to give Granlund a rest.

He was better in 2011, he was more creative. Now he's more rounded but.. I think he'd be better off and we'd be better off if he's out of the public eye for a moment, so skipping WC and relaxing, coming back better next year would serve us (and Minnesota) better

So he lead team Finland on points in OG, but you think we would be better with out him? If Filppula, M.Koivu are out, he should be and i think he will be ( if he is playing) a first line center..

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I personally believe Minnesota will go far in playoffs they way theyve played in parts this season.

While I personally think another 1st round exit is likely. The Wild will most likely face either the Ducks or the Blues in the 1st round.

Either way, too early to think about who's going to available and who's not. If I have to guess, I think there will be several NHL players on the team, possibly more than we thought before.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I personally believe Minnesota will go far in playoffs they way theyve played in parts this season.

Bergenheim - Barkov - Korpikoski
Ruutu - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Teräväinen - Lehterä - Salminen
Komarov - Immonen - Pihlström
Hartikainen
Jormakka

I got a feeling Bergenheim & Ruutu says no for the WC. I don't believe Bergenheim fully declined to join the Olympic squad because of an injury and because it's the same coach and less important tourney he will say no.

Then Ruutu sort of declined to join last year's WC if I remember correctly. He said he had an injury and it sounded like an excuse and the guy has a family now, so I highly doubt he's interested of that tournament at least this year, because it is Olympic year.

Korpikoski probably says "need to heal injuries" as well.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
WC 2014

Sean Bergenheim - Aleksander Barkov - Teuvo Teräväinen
Markus Granlund - Petri Kontiola - Juhamatti Aaltonen
Leo Komarov - Jori Lehterä - Sakari Salminen
Antti Pihlström - Petteri Wirtanen - Joonas Donskoi
Julius Junttila, Miikka Salomäki

Sami Lepistö - Rasmus Ristolainen
Ossi Väänänen - Ville Pokka
Teemu Eronen - Ilari Melart
Lasse Kukkonen - Jani Hakanpää
Jyrki Jokipakka, Julius Honka

Pekka Rinne
Mikko Koskinen/Jussi Rynnäs
Juuse Saros

Congrats, great perfomance. Well-deserved win.
Don't forget Jonas Enlund. He isn't worse than Lehtera, his life-long linemate. Simply he is more two-way minded player. Very smart. When they play together I think they have eyes in the back of their heads.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Then Ruutu sort of declined to join last year's WC if I remember correctly. He said he had an injury and it sounded like an excuse and the guy has a family now, so I highly doubt he's interested of that tournament at least this year, because it is Olympic year.

Tuomo had hip surgery last spring, he was injured for real.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If our top Euros bother to show up for the WHC, this is a probable starting point:

Koskinen (Engren)

Lepistö - Hietanen
Salmela - Karalahti
Väänänen - Eronen
Kukkonen - Jaakola

Pesonen - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Teräväinen - Lehterä - Osala
Salminen - Immonen - Komarov
Pihlström - Wirtanen - Hartikainen

Then add the willing NHLers to the mix. Rinne in net? Does not look like we'll get any d-men, as Vatanen and Määttä will be in playoffs, and Ristolainen's spring carries on in Rochester.

Possible forwards: Korpikoski, Barkov, Bergenheim, Ruutu, Leino... also, wouldn't count out OJ. When Kunnas asked him about it, he wasn't shutting the door for further NT participation - on the contrary. Yet, he must realize that Pyeongchang is too far for him, so maybe he was thinking something closer...

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
also, wouldn't count out OJ. When Kunnas asked him about it, he wasn't shutting the door for further NT participation - on the contrary. Yet, he must realize that Pyeongchang is too far for him, so maybe he was thinking something closer...

yep. congrats to all you rebuilders OJ is here to stay for 4-5 years:laugh:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
If our top Euros bother to show up for the WHC, this is a probable starting point:

<...>

Possible forwards: Korpikoski, Barkov, Bergenheim, Ruutu, Leino... also, wouldn't count out OJ. When Kunnas asked him about it, he wasn't shutting the door for further NT participation - on the contrary. Yet, he must realize that Pyeongchang is too far for him, so maybe he was thinking something closer...

Pretty much agree, only exception is that I expect to see Hytönen as 4C. As much as I want to see a really young team this spring, I think Westerlund will go for the best players period. Teräväinen and Barkov are the only likely youngsters to make the roster.

As far as NHL players go, at least Barkov said he definitely wants to go to Minsk if he's healthy. I think OJ really wants to get some more hardware before he's done, so maybe he'll be there too. I'd really love some of the AHL players like Ristolainen to go, but unfortunately it's very unlikely...

PS. Completely OT, but that Kunnas interview with Steen was absolutely terrible... He actually asked why they "played badly today" and then started talking about Teemu as he was about to walk away...

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Question. Have Kari Jalonen's assistant coaches been announced yet? If not, I'd personally vote Marjamäki to continue doing that job after Erkka is done.

It felt like he played some part in the good "peli-ilme" we had most of the time. Felt much different than in Jukka Jalonen's era. In Jukka's era it felt like we got more fluctuation in that. Main factor in the "peli-ilme" was probably Erkka & the fact that we had some true Olympic veteran players in this team compared to most of Jukka's tournaments, but still it feels like Marjamäki makes a good assistant coach at national level.

Also this would be a good thing to do if Marjamäki is going to be our NT's next head coach after Kari Jalonen is done. Marjamäki or Kivi would be my choice as Kari Jalonen's follower, but of course the situation might be different after couple of years when there are new candidates for that job and stuff, but currently should look towards preparing Marjamäki for the job if Kivi won't be the one.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I feel that Erkka is gonna go with a best possible lineup and only youngster outside the NHL is gonna be Teräväinen and that is only if he have a strong playoffs..

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
So he lead team Finland on points in OG, but you think we would be better with out him? If Filppula, M.Koivu are out, he should be and i think he will be ( if he is playing) a first line center..

Yes.

He's still young, having his first full NHL season behind him, it'll have been a long year. Let his body get used to it first.
So rest now, invest in the future.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I feel that Erkka is gonna go with a best possible lineup and only youngster outside the NHL is gonna be Teräväinen and that is only if he have a strong playoffs..

Today Erkka said in an interview that players from U-20 team are going to get a chance in the WC squad. I hope he keeps his word, so that's it not only Teräväinen, but at least Pokka as well.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Today Erkka said in an interview that players from U-20 team are going to get a chance in the WC squad. I hope he keeps his word, so that's it not only Teräväinen, but at least Pokka as well.
Marjamäki being Pokka's club team coach should do miles in his favor.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Besides TT and Pokka, I think he has his eye on Ristolainen but unless Teppo can pull some strings, he won't be able to attend camp or the tournament.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Besides TT and Pokka, I think he has his eye on Ristolainen but unless Teppo can pull some strings, he won't be able to attend camp or the tournament.

Yeah, of course Ristolainen. I mean the guy almost made it to the Olympic team, so he'd have a way better shot than Pokka. Didn't even mention him for that reason. I hope we get all 3. Would be enough for me.

Then of course Määttä & Barkov if their clubs are out & no injuries. So that's 5 under 20ish guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad