Olympics: 2014 — Finland Roster Discussion Part IV

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
We need to let them make mistakes.
We need to let them make those mistakes now, so that at age 27 when they are the "best defender in the world", "3rd time Selke trophy winner", that they are not worried about making mistakes, play freely, and win us the gold!

You learn by making mistakes. Better a 19 year old making that mistake than a 38 year old.

I agree on ur comments. But that was my point. Do we now let all those Määttäs and co do those mistakes that will cost us few World Championship tournaments or do we continue to fight for gold. If we let them have those mistakes and not succeed in tournament what year is the target for them to deliver?

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I agree on ur comments. But that was my point. Do we now let all those Määttäs and co do those mistakes that will cost us few World Championship tournaments or do we continue to fight for gold. If we let them have those mistakes and not succeed in tournament what year is the target for them to deliver?

Impossible to say, the challenge is to mix it right, where its a process with the odd old Timonen or Peltonen, or Väänänen guarding them in,,

biggest challenge is for every head coach to sign up for the same plan, and not worry about their own CV

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
The question is rebuilding for what? 2018 NHL olympics are uncertain and theres been no decicion on World Cup either. If we start tossing all those regular performers for young talent our performance is going to blummet down. 10 year drought in player development forced us to use 18 year center and 19 year old NHL rookie defensman in world best on best tournament whose rookie mistake cost us the game. There needs to be specific target or tournament in what to build towards. Our current NHL/Euro material is good enough to compete for gold at world championships year after year so unless theres clear target year be it 2018 olympics theres no need for drastic overhaul. that will come naturally now with NHL veterans Selänne,Koivu,Timonen,Salo,Jokinen co nearing retirement. But i agree rather than using older players such as Leino who have previously been reluctant for national team services should not be taken in slightly over future generation players.

Rebuild for next two wc's. Pick Ville Pokka instead of Mäenpää, Armia instead of Anttila. Small changes.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Do we now let all those Määttäs and co do those mistakes that will cost us few World Championship tournaments or do we continue to fight for gold. If we let them have those mistakes and not succeed in tournament what year is the target for them to deliver?

Bad example, since Määttä has probably been the best Finnish defenseman in this tournament. USA has sent their young players to World Championships for years and now they reap the benefits. Instead some of the familiar EHT guys, why not pick some of these:

Teemu Pulkkinen
Rasmus Ristolainen
Teuvo Teräväinen
Erik Haula
Joel Armia
Ville Pokka
Markus Granlund
Jyrki Jokipakka
Julius Honka

etc.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Bad example, since Määttä has probably been the best Finnish defenseman in this tournament. USA has sent their young players to World Championships for years and now they reap the benefits. Instead some of the familiar EHT guys, why not pick some of these:

Teemu Pulkkinen
Rasmus Ristolainen
Teuvo Teräväinen
Erik Haula
Joel Armia
Ville Pokka
Markus Granlund
Jyrki Jokipakka
Julius Honka

etc.

Jea was bad example Olli had fantastic tournament. Sure some of those can be brought but replacing most of the current elder core that is arguably europes best would kill our world championship chances for unknown lenght.

Hubie

Jan 18, 2010
Finland
It's not the national team's job to develop prospects but to have success in tournaments. A young player should be chosen over a veteran only if he really is the better option at that moment.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Jea was bad example Olli had fantastic tournament. Sure some of those can be brought but replacing most of the current elder core that is arguably europes best would kill our world championship chances for unknown lenght.

I don't think anyone has suggested replacing the best Euro players with youngsters, but the irrelevant mediocre ones. If you want examples, look at guys like Viitaluoma, Haataja, Anttila, Mäenpää, even Mäntylä and Jalasvaara. And someone like Nummelin should have no business in the NT anymore. Using youngsters over these players will not cost the team a single medal. Yes, youngsters make mistakes, but so do these players, and the youngsters have higher potential and are more likely to overperform.

As I said some time ago, the following player groups should be considered for the NT:

1) Legit NHL players

2) Best Finnish players from European leagues (mostly KHL, but also a handful of Liiga players)

3) Promising youngsters from mostly Liiga and the AHL

Everyone else can be left out with no effects on Finland's chances.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I don't think anyone has suggested replacing the best Euro players with youngsters, but the irrelevant mediocre ones. If you want examples, look at guys like Viitaluoma, Haataja, Anttila, Mäenpää, even Mäntylä and Jalasvaara. And someone like Nummelin should have no business in the NT anymore. Using youngsters over these players will not cost the team a single medal. Yes, youngsters make mistakes, but so do these players, and the youngsters have higher potential and are more likely to overperform.

As I said some time ago, the following player groups should be considered for the NT:

1) Legit NHL players

2) Best Finnish players from European leagues (mostly KHL, but also a handful of Liiga players)

3) Promising youngsters from mostly Liiga and the AHL

Everyone else can be left out with no effects on Finland's chances.

This.

I'd like to see something like this in Minsk(only euro players)

M.Keränen-Kontiola-Aaltonen
Lehkonen-Teräväinen-Salminen
Rajala-Lehterä-Donskoi
Hartikainen-M.Aaltonen-Komarov
Osala

Lepistö-Hietanen
Salmela-Pokka
Eronen-Melart
Kukkonen-Väänänen

Koskinen
Rynnäs
Saros

Of course there will be some ahl- and nhl players there but the point is to pick young promising players from europe instead of 27+ year old national team first timers(Koho,Haataja,Viitaluoma,Anttila,Välivaara etc.).

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
You just forgot that national team coach is under heavy pressure from federation to deliver in every WC. There has never been any approach like USA or Sweden to grow a new generation in WC. And now that federation is clearly putting more resources behind U20-Team, it's clear that U20 is the place to grow and Leijonat just tries to maximize outcome of every single tournament.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
You just forgot that national team coach is under heavy pressure from federation to deliver in every WC. There has never been any approach like USA or Sweden to grow a new generation in WC. And now that federation is clearly putting more resources behind U20-Team, it's clear that U20 is the place to grow and Leijonat just tries to maximize outcome of every single tournament.

Sure, but do you really maximize the outcome by using players who often end up being unable to elevate their game to the next level (such as the ones both myself and JJTT mentioned)? Picking top 5 or top 10 Lüga scorers on the team as 1st-timers at the young age of 31 or something hasn't lead to good results so far. A smart coach should be able to see behind the Lüga points.

It always depends on who you end up having at your disposal during the WC, but nobody's saying the best players should not still be included. You create the framework for the team with those players and then fill the leftover spots with youngsters.

I don't see how you'd be any more likely to fail with that kind of team than a team with the viitaluomas of the world. There is a group of players in the NT EHT rotation that should not be used, not now or in the future because they are not particularly useful now and will be even less so in the future.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
^ I agree with you

My point was that our federation see it differently. So brace yourselves for more +27y fourth-line debutants and fringe AHL-players.

I don't know about that. Maybe success of Määttä,Barkov and our U20 wjc team opens some eyes liitto. They need to see that older is not always better.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Give Niemi the start tomorrow?

I'd also like to see Niemi start in the bronze game if Rask is still sick. Lehtonen played well, but still would like to see Niemi play one game!

M.Keränen-Kontiola-Aaltonen
Lehkonen-Teräväinen-Salminen
Rajala-Lehterä-Donskoi
Hartikainen-M.Aaltonen-Komarov
Osala

Lepistö-Hietanen
Salmela-Pokka
Eronen-Melart
Kukkonen-Väänänen

Koskinen
Rynnäs
Saros

Teräväinen, Pokka should definately be in the next WC squad. Saros as 2nd or 3rd goalie is fine too. I don't think Lehkonen belongs there at all though...

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Can't wait for the next WC when we actually get some of those injured centers we didn't have playing in the Olympics. Not expecting that we get all of them of course, but chances are good we get Barkov, maybe some of Filppula/M.Koivu/Granlund. Teräväinen should be a guaranteed lock, as long as he plays decently in the SM-Liiga playoffs. My fear is though that Erkka wouldn't even choose him and instead get someone like Immonen in the squad.

The key is, will Minnesota go far in the playoffs or if they get eliminated early our center department will be stacked.

So this could be a part of the structure if we get the Minnesota guys:

X-M.Koivu-Filppula
X-Barkov-Granlund
X-Kontiola-Aaltonen
X-Lehterä-Komarov

I'm trying to figure out where to place Teräväinen in the above lineup. I wouldn't drop Kontiola or Lehterä out of his way... Would he be a backup center or a winger? I'm guessing he can't play the winger role well as he's not the most physical of players. Definately want the guy in the squad though, just can't figure this one out.

If we can't get the Minnesota guys and let's say we'd also miss getting Filppula:

X-Lehterä-X
X-Barkov-X
X-Teräväinen-X
Komarov-Kontiola-Aaltonen

Much easier to find a line for Teräväinen in this scenario. Teräväinen would join Barkov's line during a PP. I don't know but to me it would feel odd to put Lehterä as #4 center and Barkov and Teräväinen centering lines #1, #2 for some reason, while Lehterä would be doing #4 center's job. Also personally wouldn't want to give Aaltonen too big of a role and also don't want to separate him from Kontiola so it gets complicated. Kontiola would be doing PK and no PP in this scenario. All depends on who the other wingers would be, if we lack on that department then I could consider raising Kontiola-Aaltonen to as far as #2 line. Then Barkov #1, Teräväinen #3, Lehterä #4.

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
I personally believe Minnesota will go far in playoffs they way theyve played in parts this season.

Bergenheim - Barkov - Korpikoski
Ruutu - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Teräväinen - Lehterä - Salminen
Komarov - Immonen - Pihlström
Hartikainen
Jormakka

Lepistö - Hietanen
Nummelin - Laakso
Väänänen - Karalahti
Kukkonen - Jaakola

Rynnäs
Rämö
Hovinen

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
for the WC I would actually vote to give Granlund a rest.

He was better in 2011, he was more creative. Now he's more rounded but.. I think he'd be better off and we'd be better off if he's out of the public eye for a moment, so skipping WC and relaxing, coming back better next year would serve us (and Minnesota) better

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I personally believe Minnesota will go far in playoffs they way theyve played in parts this season.

Bergenheim - Barkov - Korpikoski
Ruutu - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Teräväinen - Lehterä - Salminen
Komarov - Immonen - Pihlström
Hartikainen
Jormakka

Lepistö - Hietanen
Nummelin - Laakso
Väänänen - Karalahti
Kukkonen - Jaakola

Rynnäs
Rämö
Hovinen

Sadly i think this is the exactly type of d we are looking at in Minsk.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I do agree that we should select our WC teams a bit like the Americans do, bringing in a few solid veterans and filling in the rest with young and emerging players. In Minsk I'd like to see at least some of Teräväinen, Pokka, Eronen, Hartikainen, Jormakka and Keränen, who were all born in 1990 or later. Of course Barkov as well if he's released and healthy, as well as any top AHL players like Ristolainen and Pulkkinen if their teams allow it(unlikely though).

matzz

Dec 28, 2013
Finland
I would like to see Osala in this years WC, every year he says how much he want to play, but is always missing from the team. He is such a energy player like Komarov, give him the chance now... But i want to see a really young team overall, its time to bring some new blood in our national team. Ristolainen , Terävainen , Haula if he is not in nhl, Mäenalanen, Pulkkinen and so on...They would do a great job i'm sure of that.
Btw Doesnt Erkka quit as headcoach after the olympics ? wasnt that the deal, or will he coach for rest of the year ?

matzz

Dec 28, 2013
Finland

Teemu Pulkkinen
Rasmus Ristolainen
Teuvo Teräväinen
Erik Haula
Joel Armia
Ville Pokka
Markus Granlund
Jyrki Jokipakka
Julius Honka

etc.

Exactly wt i want too. Now its time for our future "big" stars

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
WC 2014

Sean Bergenheim - Aleksander Barkov - Teuvo Teräväinen
Markus Granlund - Petri Kontiola - Juhamatti Aaltonen
Leo Komarov - Jori Lehterä - Sakari Salminen
Antti Pihlström - Petteri Wirtanen - Joonas Donskoi
Julius Junttila, Miikka Salomäki

Sami Lepistö - Rasmus Ristolainen
Ossi Väänänen - Ville Pokka
Teemu Eronen - Ilari Melart
Lasse Kukkonen - Jani Hakanpää
Jyrki Jokipakka, Julius Honka

Pekka Rinne
Mikko Koskinen/Jussi Rynnäs
Juuse Saros

Last edited:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
WC 2014

Sean Bergenheim - Aleksander Barkov - Teuvo Teräväinen
Markus Granlund - Petri Kontiola - Juhamatti Aaltonen
Leo Komarov - Jori Lehterä - Sakari Salminen
Antti Pihlström - Petteri Wirtanen - Joonas Donskoi
Julius Junttila, Miikka Salomäki

Sami Lepistö - Rasmus Ristolainen
Ossi Väänänen - Ville Pokka
Teemu Eronen - Ilari Melart
Lasse Kukkonen - Jani Hakanpää
Jyrki Jokipakka, Julius Honka

Pekka Rinne
Mikko Koskinen/Jussi Rynnäs
Juuse Saros

Players in bold will likely be in the AHL playoffs, last time I checked all desirable AHL players were in playoff teams.

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
Who would have thought that this team wins bronze? So many injuries.

I thought that QF and out then. Glad for them. Nice to see so many Finnish legends (if I can say) win their last game as a Lion. :):)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad