WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Ya, I was just going to ask...did you tune in? How is Mark doing in...where does he go to school, BU?

No, I couldn't.

Here is Monahan talking about not going to WJC. He described finding out the Flames weren't going to release him as "a good feeling" because he wants to be in the NHL. Hopefully this will put to rest the belief of some that young NHL players really want to be released from their team for a U20 tournament.

[nhl]502035[/nhl]

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Of course he's going to say he would rather be a part of the Flames. I'm sure there are a few players who wouldn't mind getting released to play in the tournament. It's a huge tournament and you only get at most 3 years to play in it. These players, especially the ones in the NHL have plenty of time to play in the NHL.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Of course he's going to say he would rather be a part of the Flames. I'm sure there are a few players who wouldn't mind getting released to play in the tournament. It's a huge tournament and you only get at most 3 years to play in it. These players, especially the ones in the NHL have plenty of time to play in the NHL.

imo most players who have made the NHL wouldn't want to go from their NHL teams to play at world juniors, they'd just want to stay in the NHL with their team. i think they would mind being released.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
imo most players who have made the NHL wouldn't want to go from their NHL teams to play at world juniors, they'd just want to stay in the NHL with their team. i think they would mind being released.

He was snubbed last year. Does that have any lingering thoughts in his mind.
Of course he wants to stay in NHL, the problem I think he is lukewarm to the idea, and the fames brass are saving him from answering questions on the matter. What he doesn't realize is the lifelong experience he is missing and that in the short and long term , it will make him a better player by playing at Wjc

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Of course he wants to stay in NHL, the problem I think he is lukewarm to the idea, and the fames brass are saving him from answering questions on the matter. What he doesn't realize is the lifelong experience he is missing and that in the short and long term , it will make him a better player by playing at Wjc

Remember in Seguin's rookie season there was talk (mostly media induced) of him going to the WJC, and he didnt seem warm to it at all, largely because the year before, when he was OHL league MVP he didnt even make the 1st round of cuts

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Based on what? The problem is there is no clear advantage to him or the Flames for him to go to the WJC. He already gets top offensive minutes and gets regular pp. Out of our 9 wins 3 have come as a direct result of Monahan, the people upset about this are Team Canada fans and thats it.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Remember in Seguin's rookie season there was talk (mostly media induced) of him going to the WJC, and he didnt seem warm to it at all, largely because the year before, when he was OHL league MVP he didnt even make the 1st round of cuts

You kind of wonder about Hockey Canada's judgement when he gets cut from the team. I think that sometimes their decisions having nothing to do with who the best players for thet eam actually will be.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Monahan missing the WJC is as unfortunate as expected. The kid says what hes expected to say. But it's obvious that deep in his mind he'd liked to be there.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Monahan missing the WJC is as unfortunate as expected. The kid says what hes expected to say. But it's obvious that deep in his mind he'd liked to be there.

Why is it so obvious? The kid is making millions of dollars, living a first class lifestyle, and fulfilling his lifelong dream of playing in the NHL. Why would he want to put that on hold to go back and play in a junior tournament? Its like asking someone in University if they'd like to go back to high school for a day because they're serving pizza at lunch. For the kids that are still playing in junior, its a huge thing in part BECAUSE it sends a sign to their NHL club (or future NHL club) that they are amongst the elite of their junior group and this helps raise their status in the eyes of their future clubs. But for anyone already playing in the NHL I can't imagine there is any desire to be released - which says you are expendable and not a core part of the team - and go play a junior tourney. It is a step backwards, not forwards. I take Monahan 100% at face value when he says that the Flames not releasing him makes him feel good. As it should, since it means he's a valuable part of the team and would be missed. People need to realize the NHL is their dream, not the WJC, and that the WJC is a consolation prize for not being in the NHL, not the other way around.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Why is it so obvious? The kid is making millions of dollars, living a first class lifestyle, and fulfilling his lifelong dream of playing in the NHL. Why would he want to put that on hold to go back and play in a junior tournament? Its like asking someone in University if they'd like to go back to high school for a day because they're serving pizza at lunch. For the kids that are still playing in junior, its a huge thing in part BECAUSE it sends a sign to their NHL club (or future NHL club) that they are amongst the elite of their junior group and this helps raise their status in the eyes of their future clubs. But for anyone already playing in the NHL I can't imagine there is any desire to be released - which says you are expendable and not a core part of the team - and go play a junior tourney. It is a step backwards, not forwards. I take Monahan 100% at face value when he says that the Flames not releasing him makes him feel good. As it should, since it means he's a valuable part of the team and would be missed. People need to realize the NHL is their dream, not the WJC, and that the WJC is a consolation prize for not being in the NHL, not the other way around.

this. not only that but if Monahan is strong the rest of his rookie year you've got to think he has a decent chance of being invited to the world championships this spring.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax

TylerSVT*

this. not only that but if Monahan is strong the rest of his rookie year you've got to think he has a decent chance of being invited to the world championships this spring.

Not to mention he has a promising future and might get to play in the Olympics in 4 years.

WJC would have been nice last year but his suspension screwed him over. Live and Learn.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Brutal article. Fucale is the man and will have no doubters after the tournament. I doubt that guy has ever seen him play. Wish there was a statistic for Quality shot save Pct or Quality shots against. Never mind that he has a great mental game and a winning resume.

It exists... it's called save percentage... It's been shown time and time and time and time again that SV% if given enough sample size removes any problems with shot quality.

chances_shot_pct.jpg

Winning resume is kinda silly narrative. Sv% shows how a goalie contributes to a teams win. How much a player contributes to wins should be more important than how often they win. Also, given a large enough sample size Sv% is predictive of future success and therefor is very good at evaluating skill.

Mental game is even worse of a narrative as how the hell do we really know who has the better mental game. We don't place these players on a couch and ask them questions about their fears and dreams. This is just people making assumptions off of things they see.

HOWEVER there is a problem in the article, and that is the difference in leagues... Adjusting sv% relative to the league only shows how much better you are then the rest of your own league. Doesn't necessarily mean it levels the playing field. Being equally better than two different averages doesn't mean you are equal, etc. That is an assumption made which could in the end not actually even it out.

Roz

Jul 2, 2013
NS
HOWEVER there is a problem in the article, and that is the difference in leagues... Adjusting sv% relative to the league only shows how much better you are then the rest of your own league. Doesn't necessarily mean it levels the playing field. That is an assumption made which could in the end not actually even it out.

To me, as I mentioned previously, the major problem with the article is that it compares career save percentages of guys whose junior careers are finished vs. someone whose junior career is still underway.

Fucale's season-by-season save percentages stand up to any Q goaltender the article mentioned, plus a whole bunch that it doesn't mention.

I mean, even using the article's methodology, Fucale still stands up well. After I posted last night I decided to dig into the Q's archives. Here's the career QMJHL save percentages for a whole whack of NHL goaltenders:

Felix Potvin: .885 regular season | .894 playoffs
Martin Brodeur: .885 | .891
Patrick Roy: .863 | .863
Roberto Luongo: .898 | .917
Martin Biron: .897 | .891
J-S Giguere: .893 | .903
Jose Theodore: .884 | .903
Jocelyn Thibault: .889 | .867

Fucale at currently sits at .900 regular season/ .910 playoffs in his career with 1.5 seasons + 1 overage season left in his eligibility.

The only current QMJHL/NHL goalie that absolutely smokes Fucale's current numbers is Ondrej Pavelec. He only played in the Q at 18 and 19, though, so his numbers definitely skew high. That's not to understate what he did in those two seasons because he was absolutely unreal (.920 reg season/.922 playoffs), but he doesn't have those first two years pulling down his average.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
To me, as I mentioned previously, the major problem with the article is that it compares career save percentages of guys whose junior careers are finished vs. someone whose junior career is still underway.

Fucale's season-by-season save percentages stand up to any Q goaltender the article mentioned, plus a whole bunch that it doesn't mention.

I mean, even using the article's methodology, Fucale still stands up well. After I posted last night I decided to dig into the Q's archives. Here's the career QMJHL save percentages for a whole whack of NHL goaltenders:

Felix Potvin: .885 regular season | .894 playoffs
Martin Brodeur: .885 | .891
Patrick Roy: .863 | .863
Roberto Luongo: .898 | .917
Martin Biron: .897 | .891
J-S Giguere: .893 | .903
Jose Theodore: .884 | .903
Jocelyn Thibault: .889 | .867

Fucale at currently sits at .900 regular season/ .910 playoffs in his career with 1.5 seasons + 1 overage season left in his eligibility.

The only current QMJHL/NHL goalie that absolutely smokes Fucale's numbers is Ondrej Pavelec. He only played in the Q at 18 and 19, though, so his numbers definitely skew high. That's not to understate what he did in those two seasons because he was absolutely unreal (.920 reg season/.922 playoffs), but he doesn't have those first two years pulling down his average.

Meh I didn't look at the future comparison parts because I didn't care about it. To me was more comparing the 4 potential WJC goalies, who are all not finished their Jr careers.

Roz

Jul 2, 2013
NS
Meh I didn't look at the future comparison parts because I didn't care about it. To me was more comparing the 4 potential WJC goalies, who are all not finished their Jr careers.

Fair enough! I do think you ignore stuff like mental toughness at your peril, though. If it wasn't a factor then you wouldn't see a guy like Fleury post sparkling save percentages throughout the regular season only to have his performance drop substantially in the playoffs.

It's absolutely a good point that assessing mental toughness is difficult for outside observers. However, I'd argue that it's not nearly as difficult for decision makers. We (i.e. fans) may not put players on the couch, but coaches, scouts, and GMs certainly do. They interview the players regularly and have sports psychologists provide research-backed diagnoses and treatments to improve mental performance under pressure. It's not some pie-in-the-sky thing. When you have scout after scout praising Fucale for his exceptional calmness in net it means something, IMO.

Anyway, I imagine we're going agree to disagree on this, so I won't press the issue - for everyone's sake :P

---

I enjoyed TSN's WJC preview, though it was understandably thin on news given where we are in the process. I'm really excited to see what selection camp looks like this year compared to years previous given the massive changes in the selection process.

scout97

Jul 17, 2012
Drouin - petan - mantha
Hudon - laughton - lazar
Shinkaruk -mcdavid -rienhart
Rychel - horvat - anderson
Gauthier

Rienhat - dumba
Pouliot - severson
Morrisey - ekblad
Bigras

Fucale - paterson