WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I think last night's line of ______ - Horvat - Laughton will be our shutdown 3rd line. I'm not sure who will fill the other wing, but those two should make a solid defensive tandem!

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Hudon - Drouin - Mantha
Shinkaruk - Reinhart - Petan
Rychel - Laughton - Lazar
J. Anderson - Horvat - Poirier
Domi

Reinhart - Dumba
Pelech - Pulock
Nurse - Pouliot
Ekblad

Comrie
Fucale
Paterson (not sure if they're taking 3 or not.)

Don't think McDavid makes the team, he'll probably be one of the final cuts at camp.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
So did Paterson help his shot at making the team last night? In the super series thread everyone was saying he played awesome

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Imo Pelech and Ekblad's average skating will get exposed on big ice. I prefer fluid skating two way defenseman like Canada had in 07 with Staal-Parent for example. Players like Severson, Bowey I feel can have an impact due to their ability to shutdown the other teams best players coupled with their good skating ability.

edmontonfan59

Nov 9, 2009
Hudon - Drouin - Mantha
Shinkaruk - Reinhart - Petan
Rychel - Laughton - Lazar
J. Anderson - Horvat - Poirier
Domi

Reinhart - Dumba
Pelech - Pulock
Nurse - Pouliot
Ekblad

Comrie
Fucale
Paterson (not sure if they're taking 3 or not.)

Don't think McDavid makes the team, he'll probably be one of the final cuts at camp.

Don't discount Jarry yet in goal, he's playing at the top of his game right now.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
So did Paterson help his shot at making the team last night? In the super series thread everyone was saying he played awesome
He didn't hurt it, anyway. The goalies will basically go head to head in camp and whoever has the hot hand at that time ought to make it? Fucale and Paterson would be my picks. But I don't think it's impossible that one of the WHL goalies steals a spot either. 4 guys typically get invited to the camp... Fucale and Paterson are two of those. I don't know if it's then Comrie and Jarry both, or if Murray can get in there ahead of one of them... he didn't help himself in the Subway series, but that's not all there is to it, fortunately for him. :dunno:

markyj93

Sep 5, 2011
Does Mark Jankowski have a shot of making this team? I know nothing about him. I haven't seen anyone mention him either.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I haven't been watching any OHL this season....is there a story with Domi I am not aware of or is this just a numbers game comment?

Personal opinion
Better players out there to fill the roles. We tried the run and gun last year and some players who played on the third and fourth line thought they should be on the first and second line.
Doesn't work. Sutter won't make that same mistake.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Presumably, performance during the season running up to the selection and WJHC plays a role in the selection process. It's hard to imagine that selectors will ignore current performance. That's why players like Shinkaruk and Domi have to be seen as being on the bubble at this point. It would be a bad precedent to simply include players based primarily on performance in previous seasons or draft position.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Does Mark Jankowski have a shot of making this team? I know nothing about him. I haven't seen anyone mention him either.

Maybe but I wouldn't count on it. I doubt he even gets an invite to evaluation camp at this point. In saying that his size, skating and goalscoring ability would be a good fit for a player like McDavid, Petan or even Sam Reinhart. Although Ryan Jankowski is more than familiar with what Mark is capable of..you probably can't say the same for Brent Sutter (who ultimitely makes the final decisions).

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Imo Pelech and Ekblad's average skating will get exposed on big ice. I prefer fluid skating two way defenseman like Canada had in 07 with Staal-Parent for example. Players like Severson, Bowey I feel can have an impact due to their ability to shutdown the other teams best players coupled with their good skating ability.

Slater Koekkoek is a great skater and has represented Canada in other big tournaments, don't see him getting any mentions of making the team.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario

I would at least give him a shot at camp. IMO the spots up front aren't completely set in stone or at least there are less favorites than the backend. If he shows up to camp and impressed I don't see why he can't end up being even the 13th forward on the team. He has already matched his goal totals from last season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Drouin is just going to dominate this tournament. That guy is out of this world. I still think he ends up the best player from his draft.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Maybe but I wouldn't count on it. I doubt he even gets an invite to evaluation camp at this point. In saying that his size, skating and goalscoring ability would be a good fit for a player like McDavid, Petan or even Sam Reinhart. Although Ryan Jankowski is more than familiar with what Mark is capable of..you probably can't say the same for Brent Sutter (who ultimitely makes the final decisions).

I would be surprised if he doesn't get a camp invite. Will he make the team? I doubt so too, but as far as a camp invite goes, I would think he would get it. He isn't getting exposure like the other prospects at the Subway Series is, so it is difficult to see him against his peers at the moment. Without a doubt, he is not getting scouted as much as guys in the CHL (would not be as productive scouting one individual player against older competition vs scouting many players against peers for the tournament).

For all the mockery that Jankowski has become on these forums, he is a legitimate prospect with size, speed and skill, and he is definitely on Team Canada's radar.

StringerBell

I haven't been watching any OHL this season....is there a story with Domi I am not aware of or is this just a numbers game comment?

If there is a story haven't heard it. I watched his last two games and he looked very good in both.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I haven't watched him enough to have a real "opinion"... but my vague impression so far this year is that he's doing fine at what he's good at... being flashy and talented and all that, but... isn't really bearing down with the intensity and dimensions he could add to his game. He's talented enough that he won't embarrass on a scoring line anyway, if Canada has an opening there. But if they are already ok with their scoring quotient and are looking to fill other roles with more complete players... Domi could be found lacking based on his play this year... ? :dunno:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'd like to see a Laughton - Horvat - Lazar shutdown line. That would be insane.

I think Ekblad should be on the team too. He's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad