WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
As a biased Jets fan. I'd think Morrissey has an inside track right now. He's looked EXCELLENT this year on PA with 24 GP 11G 15A. He also looked great in the preseason with the Jets. It'll be interesting to watch in the SSS today to see how he does. Also, I'm making the trek to Brandon on Saturday to see him and Leon so I'll post my further opinions after.

As a non-Jets fan, I'd think Morrissey is a lock. Perhaps if Dumba was released that might make it harder for him to make the team, but I think he makes it either way. He is two-way stud, and his skating ability will be key for the team, especially if the end up taking some of the bigger guys in the mix.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As a non-Jets fan, I'd think Morrissey is a lock. Perhaps if Dumba was released that might make it harder for him to make the team, but I think he makes it either way. He is two-way stud, and his skating ability will be key for the team, especially if the end up taking some of the bigger guys in the mix.

He is also very effective on the PP. I saw him quite a bit during training camp and pre-season with the Jets. He has fantastic hockey IQ, elite skating, and is very competitive.

VincentD

May 13, 2011
I would really like to see Heatherington and Severson as a defensive pairing for TC. I think they could be a very good shut down pair with offensive ability. They are both sound defensively and they both skate very well.

I think defense will be the hardest position to choose from. It depends on how TC wants to go for the big surface. But I still think you need at least 2 great shut down guys to complement all the offensive defensemen Canada could have on the team (Morrissey, Pouliot, Pulock, Matheson, etc.).

xsnyper

Mar 25, 2012
Sudbury
What are the chances of the Flames releasing Monahan for the tournament considering their recently poor performance? Would be good chance for him to gain experience.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
What are the chances of the Flames releasing Monahan for the tournament considering their recently poor performance? Would be good chance for him to gain experience.

Maybe 20%. Could end up being monahans choice though.

HejdasGonnaHate

Nov 15, 2012
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Severson will be on this team. He would have to literally fall off a cliff in order to not make this team. You guys should wait until the end of the super series to start predicting teams because leaving severson off your team makes you look kinda dumb. Great skater, good positionally and can play in all situations. I know the same can be said for a lot of d-men but severson is also a 19yo which will only help him make this team.

You brought up nothing that distinguishes Severson from 90% of the defensemen that get mentioned in this thread yet claim he is a lock and people who omit him from their team look dumb for doing so. :handclap:

He's in the same class as Adam Pelech, Michael Matheson, Matt Finn, and several others. Not even close to a lock.

StringerBell

As of right now this would probably be my team excluding both NHL'ers and goalies, who I really can't comment on in any sort of knowledgeable fashion. I don't expect anyone to agree with me :laugh:

Laughton-Drouin-Mantha
Petan-Horvat-Reinhart
Hudon-Lazar-Poirier
Baptiste-Tierney-Rychel
McDavid

Reinhart-Ekblad
Morrissey-Severson
Pelech-Pulock
Pouliot

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
As of right now this would probably be my team excluding both NHL'ers and goalies, who I really can't comment on in any sort of knowledgeable fashion. I don't expect anyone to agree with me :laugh:

Laughton-Drouin-Mantha
Petan-Horvat-Reinhart
Hudon-Lazar-Poirier
Baptiste-Tierney-Rychel
McDavid

Reinhart-Ekblad
Morrissey-Severson
Pelech-Pulock
Pouliot

No shink ? really?

StringerBell

No shink ? really?

He's not playing his best hockey right now. In my mind it's between him, Domi and Petan for the 2nd line LW spot, with Petan being my choice at this point in time. Obviously my opinion means very little though and I still hope he makes the team.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Laughton-Drouin-Mantha
Petan-Horvat-Reinhart
Hudon-Lazar-Poirier
Baptiste-Tierney-Rychel
McDavid

Reinhart-Ekblad
Morrissey-Severson
Pelech-Pulock
Pouliot

I don't mind this team. I would change a few things though.

Laughton - Drouin - Mantha
Dal Colle - Horvat - Lazar
Baptiste - Reinhart - Poirier
Rychel - McDavid - Brown

No shink ? really?

Shinkaruk isn't good enough for the team right now.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
With the exception of a few players, I continue to be disappointed in these "stars" from the WHL and the OHL that keep getting talked up. Again, I don't care how a kid projects in the NHL, Canada needs to get back to sending WINNING teams to the World Juniors. After Jonathan Drouin and the QMJHL got Canada off to a good start in the Super Series, the OHL looked like crap, twice, and the WHL didn't look much better last night...

IMO, there is no way that Charles Hudon isn't a lock for this team... At least he, Drouin and Mantha lived up to their billing and led the QMJHL to back-to-back wins over Russia. Some of these other kids that are supposed to be showcasing their talent... Yikes.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Laughton-Drouin-Mantha
Petan-Horvat-Reinhart
Hudon-Lazar-Poirier
Baptiste-Tierney-Rychel
McDavid

Reinhart-Ekblad
Morrissey-Severson
Pelech-Pulock
Pouliot

I don't think that defense is mobile enough for the big ice. I remember watching Pelech at last years camp and his skating was way below the rest of the players there. Reinhart isn't that fleet of foot either (and potentially suspended for the first 3 games). Ekblad is young and will struggle with top pairing minutes. Ekblad if he makes it will be the 7th dman I think.

butter sheep*

Domi - McDavid - Reinhart
Drouin - Horvat - Mantha
Poirier - Laughton - Tierney
Leier - Leipsic - Lazar
Rychel

Last edited by a moderator:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Thats the way I see it

Hudon-Drouin-Mantha
Petan-Horvat-Lazar
Dal Colle-Laughton-Rychel
Reinhart-Gauthier-Poirier
McDavid

Reinhart-Morrissey
Poulliot-Koekkoek
Bigras-Severson
Ekblad

Fucale
Paterson

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Those of you who don't have Charles Hudon in your lineup will be disapointed once the team is named...

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
When is the last time TC decide to leave a return player out of the team?

Hudon is a lock for top6.

I'm not sure about lock for Top 6, but I think he's virtually a lock to make the team in some capacity.

StringerBell

I don't think that defense is mobile enough for the big ice. I remember watching Pelech at last years camp and his skating was way below the rest of the players there. Reinhart isn't that fleet of foot either (and potentially suspended for the first 3 games). Ekblad is young and will struggle with top pairing minutes. Ekblad if he makes it will be the 7th dman I think.

I am a bit concerned about Pelech but I think Ekblad and Reinhart would be fine. Ekblad is the same age as Jones was last year for the USA.

butter sheep*

sorry this is my real team

Domi - McDavid - Reinhart
Drouin - Horvat - Mantha
Hudon - Leipsic - Lazar
Rychel - Laughton - Poirier
Leier

Fucale
Paterson
Comrie

Cody Hodgson

Sep 17, 2008
I think Horvat is going to be a lock for the 3rd line shutdown/checking role for team Canada.

I also think McDavid is a lock as well. The guy generated so much scoring chances out of nothing in the subway series. Kid is a stud , on international ice his skating is going to make a lot of defenders look stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad