WJC: 2014 — Canada Roster Talk (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Interesting to see not many are including Shinkaruk or Domi on the team.

Numbers game.

Hopefully Hockey Canada (and the vast majority of HF for that matter) learned a lesson last year.

Domi, Shinkaruk, Reinhart, McDavid, Drouin, Petan, Reinhart just off the top of my head. Obviously Drouin is a little out of place on this list but all undersized relatively one-dimensional players. Canada took that type of team to the tournament last year and failed miserably. You need guys that can play both ways aka elite penalty killers and role players.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I'd like to see a Laughton - Horvat - Lazar shutdown line. That would be insane.

I think Ekblad should be on the team too. He's good.

Agreed. That'd be a great checking line. As for Ekblad, I like the guy but the big ice might deter Hockey Canada a bit. I feel like his game is best suited for the North American rink and style. Not that Ekblad is slow but as an underage defenceman you're behind the 8ball from the outset.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Hudon - Drouin - Mantha
Shinkaruk - Reinhart - Petan
Rychel - Laughton - Lazar
J. Anderson - Horvat - Poirier
Domi

Reinhart - Dumba
Pelech - Pulock
Nurse - Pouliot
Ekblad

Comrie
Fucale
Paterson (not sure if they're taking 3 or not.)

Don't think McDavid makes the team, he'll probably be one of the final cuts at camp.

Look for a big WHL presence.....Pulock, Morrissey, Theodore, Bowey could all be on this team! Reinhart obviously and perhaps Dumba if he is returned.

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
Koekkoek should be among the defensman selected. Great skater, wouldn't look out of place on the big ice.

He also looked better than Nurse in the first OHL super series game. I'm not knocking Nurse here but that was just what I saw.

NS Bluenoser

Sep 25, 2012
If Hudon is on the team, I doubt it would be as a top line player. He should be a 3rd liner. Mantha, if he makes the team, may be able to be a top line winger based on how dominant he has been this year but he may not be able to handle such a role. I don`t think you put much stake in the Subway Series lines, Drouin will have chemistry with anyone he plays with basically. There are many more dominant offensive players than Hudon to play along side Drouin.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
Drouin-Horvat-Mantha
Petan-Lazar-Reinhart
Hudon-Laughton-Poirier
Rychel-Gaunce-McDavid
Shinkaruk/Brown

Reinhart-Dumba
Morrissey-Pouliot
Nurse-Ekblad
Koekkoek

Fucale
Paterson

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If Hudon is on the team, I doubt it would be as a top line player. He should be a 3rd liner. Mantha, if he makes the team, may be able to be a top line winger based on how dominant he has been this year but he may not be able to handle such a role. I don`t think you put much stake in the Subway Series lines, Drouin will have chemistry with anyone he plays with basically. There are many more dominant offensive players than Hudon to play along side Drouin.

Indeed.

Michael Dal Colle - Jonathan Drouin - Anthony Mantha

Get'er done.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Some are down on McDavid, but I was impressed, despite the lack of production. He created chances and is clearly dynamic, and I think they take him, possibly on a scoring line, or possibly as the 13th forward. He'll get a long look and team does like to invest at least one spot in a future star who has a few WJC left in him.

I think Domi is on the outside looking in right now. Forced things too much when frustrated, throwing his line off at times, which they can't afford in a tourney like this. It will get tight at times, and talented players who are willing to bare down, play simple and score an ugly goal are required. Domi will get there, but isn't there yet. Played a more immature game than McDavid IMO.

If Hudon doesn't remain with Drouin, I could see him sliding in beside Horvat and Lazar for a two-way game. He is so smart and versatile, he could compliment those two players nicely. Laughton I think will still probably make it, but he is the type of guy international refs might give a minor or two per game just on the way he plays and the edge he straddles. This was evident in the Super Series too, and those were NA refs.

I think Eklbad, Pelech, Nurse and Morin will all get longs looks out of the OHL and Q, but there will probably be 4 D from the WHL at least, so those four guys might be fighting for 3 spots, with Ekblad the safest bet to make it.

Overall, I think this will be an average Team Canada, as there is a ton of depth, but I don't think the top end talent will be that much better than some of the other teams, with the exception of Drouin.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Keep seeing a lot of 95 birthday defenders mentioned, doesn't team Canada usually take 19 year olds in their last year of eligibility?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Keep seeing a lot of 95 birthday defenders mentioned, doesn't team Canada usually take 19 year olds in their last year of eligibility?

Yes, that's is the M.O. of Hockey Canada, that it is a tournament for 19 year olds....but I think it would be unwise to go with a predominately 1994 group this year. The 1995s are a much more talented group with a lot more depth.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
[/B]
Yes, that's is the M.O. of Hockey Canada, that it is a tournament for 19 year olds....but I think it would be unwise to go with a predominately 1994 group this year. The 1995s are a much more talented group with a lot more depth.

Heatherington, Morrissey and Nurse were the only 1995 Dmen invited to the Summer Camp.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Heatherington, Morrissey and Nurse were the only 1995 Dmen invited to the Summer Camp.

Exactly! How many will make the team? 1? Which was my point, HC's M.O. is it is a tournament for 19 year old players. Now, other than Reilly there is not a whole lot of the WOW element in the 1994 group. Reinhart? He's a good steady, stay at home solid d-man. Pouliot? Has some offensive upside to his game...but I'm still undecided about him. Dumba? Risk Reward type player in the mold of Phaneuf. Pulock I happen to like. But I just happen to favor the 1995 group much better than the 94s. Invites to the summer evaluation camp doesn't make any difference to me when I compare the two birth years.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
[/B]

Exactly! How many will make the team? 1? Which was my point, HC's M.O. is it is a tournament for 19 year old players. Now, other than Reilly there is not a whole lot of the WOW element in the 1994 group. Reinhart? He's a good steady, stay at home solid d-man. Pouliot? Has some offensive upside to his game...but I'm still undecided about him. Dumba? Risk Reward type player in the mold of Phaneuf. Pulock I happen to like. But I just happen to favor the 1995 group much better than the 94s. Invites to the summer evaluation camp doesn't make any difference to me when I compare the two birth years.

Reinhart and Pouliot should make the team, if the Wild release him Dumba should as well. That's 2-3 spots taken right there. Ryan Pulock is a late 94 and was drafted this past year, he'll push for a spot. Then there are three players I think aren't getting enough thought in these threads are Matt Finn, Damon Severson and Michael Matheson. I think they will all push for a spot as well. The 94 group may not have the "Wow" factor you are looking for but they are solid and will take up at least 4-5 spots on Team Canada.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Reinhart and Pouliot should make the team, if the Wild release him Dumba should as well. That's 2-3 spots taken right there. Ryan Pulock is a late 94 and was drafted this past year, he'll push for a spot. Then there are three players I think aren't getting enough thought in these threads are Matt Finn, Damon Severson and Michael Matheson. I think they will all push for a spot as well. The 94 group may not have the "Wow" factor you are looking for but they are solid and will take up at least 4-5 spots on Team Canada.

Well, unfortunately I don't think being solid is good enough to get the job done this year.. I'm not optimistic. I do hope Sutter can get it done though.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I don't think Dumba ends up getting released. Minnesota has a stretch of games against the East and I think they will see that as a low-risk opportunity to give him some game time against easier competition. I also think Reinhart's suspension keeps him out of the roster, given the strength of Canada's defensive depth

Domi - McDavid - Reinhart
Drouin - Horvat - Mantha
Shinkaruk - Laughton - Poirier
Hudon - Lazar - Baptiste
Rychel

Nurse - Severson
Pouliot - Ekblad
Morrissey - Pulock
Heatherington

Comrie
Paterson
Fucale

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Im hoping to see a Nurse-Eckblad pairing, get a little glimpse into the Oiler future :naughty:

But as an Oilers fan they both intrigue me the most, so im hoping they are both there!

BigNumber1Centre

Mar 19, 2010
Alberta
Who's the front runner to start in net? Based on last year's camp performance, I hope its Paterson. Not overly comfortable with Fucale yet.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
As a biased Jets fan. I'd think Morrissey has an inside track right now. He's looked EXCELLENT this year on PA with 24 GP 11G 15A. He also looked great in the preseason with the Jets. It'll be interesting to watch in the SSS today to see how he does. Also, I'm making the trek to Brandon on Saturday to see him and Leon so I'll post my further opinions after.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
As a biased Jets fan. I'd think Morrissey has an inside track right now. He's looked EXCELLENT this year on PA with 24 GP 11G 15A. He also looked great in the preseason with the Jets. It'll be interesting to watch in the SSS today to see how he does. Also, I'm making the trek to Brandon on Saturday to see him and Leon so I'll post my further opinions after.

He was also lights out at the U18s playing a big role there. If this was in NA I could see others making it over him, but with great of a skater he is I think they'll want him on big ice. Unless he plays pretty poorly from here on out he'll make the team. Hopefully he has a good SSS and camp especially. I imagine the extras few skaters TC invites to camp will be on D.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

Morrissey is the perfect Dman for this tournament. Fast, offensively gifted, physical, leadership, solid defensively, high hockey-IQ. I personally don't know how he could be left off the team with everything he brings to the table and the great start to his season!

StringerBell

Any chance Tierney can make it as a 4th line C? He's been great this year for London.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Severson will be on this team. He would have to literally fall off a cliff in order to not make this team. You guys should wait until the end of the super series to start predicting teams because leaving severson off your team makes you look kinda dumb. Great skater, good positionally and can play in all situations. I know the same can be said for a lot of d-men but severson is also a 19yo which will only help him make this team.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I haven't watched him enough to have a real "opinion"... but my vague impression so far this year is that he's doing fine at what he's good at... being flashy and talented and all that, but... isn't really bearing down with the intensity and dimensions he could add to his game. He's talented enough that he won't embarrass on a scoring line anyway, if Canada has an opening there. But if they are already ok with their scoring quotient and are looking to fill other roles with more complete players... Domi could be found lacking based on his play this year... ? :dunno:

Thank you this is a good explanation.....deep squad and only so many scoring line positions to go around.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011

I think Morrissey is one of the most underrated of Canada's defencemen. I really wanted Calgary to draft him (though I like Calgary's picks this year). He is having a heck of a season too. I would imagine he will make the team - just plays such a strong 2-way game, has off the charts IQ, and is physical to boot (though not 'big', he plays a nice physical game). I bet he makes the cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad