Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVII) (Released, Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
What a ridiculous assertion. Do you have any evidence to back that up?

Def not. Subban obv made this team hugely because he is a pp beast. But no lets not put him out there cause Datsyuk might score a shg bahah wow that is dumb.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
What's with all this "I think Canada will lose because..." ********.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
We will have to see about the offence. Even with three useless picks the talent it there to win a shootout with any other team. I agree about a Sharp Toews Giroux line, which is what I wanted before the team was picked. Most likely Nash will be there, and in the best case scenario he can at least provide a nice physical contribution to the shutdown line. Honestly, Benn's inclusion is mystifying to me. I do not understand what he brings. Some playmaking from the wing (others would be better here) with decent but not great size and at best average skating for this level.

I agree that the defence is great, and should be the strength of the team. For months I wanted Keith - Weber and Vlasic - Doughty, but watching some of the 2010 Olympics made me want to put Keith - Doughty back together. This is a good problem to have.

Benn is the most puzzling selection for me as well, though certainly not the worst. I can get my head around the Nash and Kunitz selections easier (though I disagreed with those selections at the time and still do), but Benn as a candidate seemed to really gain momentum quickly throughout the season. He wasn't at the orientation camp this summer. I'm not going to defend his selection as I didn't have him on my roster at any point, but in my mind the managers (and perhaps Babcock too) simply wanted a big bodied, relatively physical winger with decent speed that's strong on the forecheck and reliable defensively to fill out the bottom six. He does have a rocket for a shot, which is a point in his favour. He can get from point A to point B but isn't the smoothest skater. He hasn't been terribly productive this year (40 in 47, with 6 of those points coming in one game), but from what I can tell the decision was made between him and Lucic...and if so, the correct decision was made. He'll be given a chance to contribute, and I'd be thrilled if he does. He may see time with Tavares, and that would theoretically be a good match IMO. I have a slight preference for Couture in that spot, and am indifferent between Staal and Benn (Staal has the better resume, but Benn has been better this season), but Benn certainly isn't my least favourite selection in the forward group.

As to Nash, well, he's picked up the pace substaintially recently. If he's engaged physically like he was in Vancouver, he'll be a strong addition. I didn't see that from him after he returned from the concussion, which worries me a little. I'm not one to think that someone can magically turn it off and on depending on the situation and I'm therefore always in favour of selecting players who are at or near the top of their games. I do think that if he's given a job he'll do it to the best of his abilities, and I agree that the most logical spot for him is next to Toews and Sharp.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I think Canada will lose because of our lack of talent down the middle. A couple good Centers would have helped us a lot. Maybe Giroux.

Wait what?

Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Bergeron

Sounds very good to me. If Giroux made the team he was undoubtedly playing a wing.

Our weakness is probably on the wing (in terms of more speedy wingers)

I do agree Giroux should be there and St Louis. I'd take out Nash and Benn. I'll take true speed on that ice any day

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Given Canada's depth at center, would any of you trade Crosby for any player from any other team? Pick up one of Finland's goalies or maybe a natural Russian winger? Maybe Karlsson for the big ice?

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Given Canada's depth at center, would any of you trade Crosby for any player from any other team? Pick up one of Finland's goalies or maybe a natural Russian winger? Maybe Karlsson for the big ice?

I don't know if this is serious? Carey Price is a top 5 goalie in the NHL. No I would not trade the best player in the world for 'winger depth' or a single dimension defenceman (Subban is our Karlsson, except better)

Oh yeah and I'm a Sens fan

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
Canada will lose Gold because of goaltending, IMO. The two fighting for starting positions have proven time and time again that they cannot handle the pressure of big games.

I agree, it's clearly been proven beyond a doubt that no team ever has or ever will win gold with Luongo in net.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada will lose Gold because of goaltending, IMO. The two fighting for starting positions have proven time and time again that they cannot handle the pressure of big games.

Holy ****. I'm pumped to hear how you're gonna back this up. If the gold medal game in the olympics isn't a big game then PLEASE tell me what is....GO

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
2625596.jpg

pls

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
I don't know if this is serious? Carey Price is a top 5 goalie in the NHL. No I would not trade the best player in the world for 'winger depth' or a single dimension defenceman (Subban is our Karlsson, except better)

Oh yeah and I'm a Sens fan

No way Price is top 5. Borderline top 10 maybe.
It's easy to name 5 guys who are better, and not just this season : Quick, Miller, Lundqvist, Luongo, Raask, and I didn't even mention last year's Vezina winner, Varlamov, Harding and Bishop. Also Tim Thomas.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I think Canada will lose because of our lack of talent down the middle. A couple good Centers would have helped us a lot. Maybe Giroux.

Boy, I hate this. You should support the players and the team, not finding the reasons why we'll lose. Had Finland the roster we have, they would be happy as hell.

I wanna repeat this again: This is the best team we can ice. You may disagree, but, with no disrespect to you, there are better hockey minds out there (Yzerman, Babcock, etc.) who made the roster and we should respect their opinions. They're not supposed to choose the players according the people's opinions. They are supposed to make the best team possible. Are you saying that you (or I) know more than Mike Bacock who is standing right behind the players on the bench and actually coaches the team? He's won a few cups, he's a real coach, not like the posters here, so sorry if I respect his opinion (as well as Yzerman's, Armstrong's, etc) more, than yours.

To make it clear, I get that people are upset Giroux didn't make it, Kunitz did, St.Louis didn't make it, and Benn did. But again, the players are already chosen, and I will support the team no matter what. In my opinion, this team has the potential to play the best hockey we have ever seen at the olympics from a canadian team. Let's wait and see what hockey we play, and mainly, let's ENJOY THE GAME ! We're sometimes so much worriyng about everything that we forget to enjoy this game. Be thankfull that we're producing the best players in the world, and are able to choose from so talented pool of great hockey players. I'm not arrogant, I know it will be tough to take the gold in Sochi, but I believe there won't be anything like 'Torino 06' repeat.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

No. Other than Russia, every other country is missing a player even close to Crosby down the middle. They would gain more from receiving Crosby than Canada could from receiving one of their players.

Boy, I hate this. You should support the players and the team, not finding the reasons why we'll lose. Had Finland the roster we have, they would be happy as hell.

I wanna repeat this again: This is the best team we can ice. You may disagree, but, with no disrespect to you, there are better hockey minds out there (Yzerman, Babcock, etc.) who made the roster and we should respect their opinions. They're not supposed to choose the players according the people's opinions. They are supposed to make the best team possible. Are you saying that you (or I) know more than Mike Bacock who is standing right behind the players on the bench and actually coaches the team? He's won a few cups, he's a real coach, not like the posters here, so sorry if I respect his opinion (as well as Yzerman's, Armstrong's, etc) more, than yours.

To make it clear, I get that people are upset Giroux didn't make it, Kunitz did, St.Louis didn't make it, and Benn did. But again, the players are already chosen, and I will support the team no matter what. In my opinion, this team has the potential to play the best hockey we have ever seen at the olympics from a canadian team. Let's wait and see what hockey we play, and mainly, let's ENJOY THE GAME ! We're sometimes so much worriyng about everything that we forget to enjoy this game. Be thankfull that we're producing the best players in the world, and are able to choose from so talented pool of great hockey players. I'm not arrogant, I know it will be tough to take the gold in Sochi, but I believe there won't be anything like 'Torino 06' repeat.

First off, he obviously being facetious. Second, there is a difference between supporting the team and assuming that Babcock/Yzerman will pick the best possible team. With a team like Canada it's almost impossible to pick the best possible team, but we can assume that Yzerman and company picked the best possible team in their opinion. Experts just as qualified may have picked better teams if given the chance, and honestly plenty of posters on this website could probably have picked better teams (while many others could have picked far worse). Regardless, 99% will support the team and its players regardless of whether they wanted those specific players or not.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I still just simply dont understand why St. Louis didn't make it. Regardless if his game last night he's pretty much by far Canada's best winger. Great, Jeff Carter is tall, glad we took him.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
No way Price is top 5. Borderline top 10 maybe.
It's easy to name 5 guys who are better, and not just this season : Quick, Miller, Lundqvist, Luongo, Raask, and I didn't even mention last year's Vezina winner, Varlamov, Harding and Bishop. Also Tim Thomas.

You clearly never saw Price play. Watch the actual games and don't judge with the stats please, you should be ashamed of your ignorance.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You clearly never saw Price play. Watch the actual games and don't judge with the stats please, you should be ashamed of your ignorance.

In five trips to the playoffs, Price's save percentage has only been above .900 twice FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad