GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships Thread

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
HLM, you're correct. The rink in BC is 200x87, smaller than the ice used in International play.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It may be against Slovakia, but a much better game by Gaudreau. Two goals and an assist midway through the second.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Hope Wotherspoon is alright, he got hit from behind.

Anyways, Canada's up 2-1 after the 1st period! No lead is safe, though.

Go Canada!

Small Brain Presence

I really don't understand the people earlier in the thread saying that Gaudreau was playing terribly. He has been saddled with the horrendously bad J.T. Miller and puck hog Grimaldi as linemates, yet he still could have easily had 2 goals and 4 assists in the first three games with a little puck luck and teammates who could finish on his passes from behind the net.

He reminds me of a smaller Craig Janney; not a great skater but with a subtle offensive game and a great playmaker. Janney was always criticized for his softness, but he put up almost a PPG in his career and was pretty good in the playoffs.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I want Scheifele on the Flames.

I wanted Scheifele so bad and I was choked and shocked when the Jets selected him so early. The next guy I wanted was Sven. Knowing what we know now, I wouldn't change a thing.

But yeah, he's a hell of a good player.

I really think Drouin has elevated his status a lot already in this tournament. I think MacKinnon isn't seeing a lot of minutes, but he really hasn't shown much in his opportunities. You would expect more from the general consensus #1 pick. MacKinnon hasn't been bad, and isn't an overly flashy player to start with, but he's looked quite average. I get that he's 17, but I thought he would be a little more physically dominant in this tournament. I still think he's an elite prospect, but I'm not so sure I'd take him at #1 if that pick fell on the Flames lap. If Drouin keeps this momentum going he could easily go in the top 5 to.

I've also quite liked Rattie's game.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I wanted Scheifele so bad and I was choked and shocked when the Jets selected him so early. The next guy I wanted was Sven. Knowing what we know now, I wouldn't change a thing.

But yeah, he's a hell of a good player.

I really think Drouin has elevated his status a lot already in this tournament. I think MacKinnon isn't seeing a lot of minutes, but he really hasn't shown much in his opportunities. You would expect more from the general consensus #1 pick. MacKinnon hasn't been bad, and isn't an overly flashy player to start with, but he's looked quite average. I get that he's 17, but I thought he would be a little more physically dominant in this tournament. I still think he's an elite prospect, but I'm not so sure I'd take him at #1 if that pick fell on the Flames lap. If Drouin keeps this momentum going he could easily go in the top 5 to.

I've also quite liked Rattie's game.

I'm pretty sure he's already widely considered a top 5 pick (some say top 3). After Mac, Jones, and Barkov I think he's the best prospect at the draft (thus far) I've been so impressed with his play.

I was also shocked when the Jets took Scheifele. They have made some solid picks the last two drafts Trouba is a beast!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If I had the #1 pick, I'd have a really hard time calling anyone else's name besides Monahan, I love that kid. Barkov is intriguing to simply because of everything that he possesses. And after watching Lindholm more, I do think he could be a special player. I really don't get the hype about Jones. He's going to be a fine NHL dman no question, but there is no way I'd select him at 1. I personally have him around 5-7.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Disagree about Jones. You can clearly see the raw talents along with his great size and skating ability. Being only 18 makes him very intriguing. Defensemen like him dont come around often and it would be a mistake not to take him with the top 2 picks

I know it comes down to team needs but he will be a very special player

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Disagree about Jones. You can clearly see the raw talents along with his great size and skating ability. Being only 18 makes him very intriguing. Defensemen like him dont come around often and it would be a mistake not to take him with the top 2 picks

This WJC is the first I've actually seen Jones play and I have to agree with you. Big mobile guy with some obvious offensive talents. As much as the Flames need that top centerman, I wouldn't consider Jones a bad pick at all for us if we landed a top 3 pick. He and Wotherspoon (who's been very steady in this tournament also) seem to make a dynamite D-pair already in the WHL...

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Raw talents, yes. But his decision making, from what I've seen in the tournament, looks pretty rough. If it's indicative of his actual hockey sense (which I have no idea of one way or the other) then my bet is he ends up like something along the lines of Phaneuf as a ceiling. That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but when you have options like Barkov kicking around in the same group, it's not necessarily ideal.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Did anyone actually watch Granlund? Statistically, he has been one of the Finn's best players so far but he gets absolutely no love from their fanbase. They are all about TT and Barkov in regards to projecting as top players in the NHL. Ma. Granlund is not the caliber of prospect that his brother is, but I don't think he gets as much praise as he should.

Well, he hasn't really done much this season to earn those praises but he's been good in this tournament. A bit snake-bitten in the first two games, excellent against SUI and OK against SWE. To my eyes, which may or may not be affected by Flames homerism, he has some real offensive creativity and the skills to execute most of the stuff as well. Not that great on the faceoff dot or in the corners but dangerous around the net.

TT and Barkov are quite probably much safer bets to be full time NHLers but for a 2nd round pick Granlund looks just fine to me.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
In other news, I am really surprised that Finland is in the relegation-round. I thought they would be competing for gold.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
If I had the #1 pick, I'd have a really hard time calling anyone else's name besides Monahan, I love that kid. Barkov is intriguing to simply because of everything that he possesses. And after watching Lindholm more, I do think he could be a special player. I really don't get the hype about Jones. He's going to be a fine NHL dman no question, but there is no way I'd select him at 1. I personally have him around 5-7.

Same, I just love the way he plays and think he could be a perfect fit with the Flames. There are so many great forwards available at the next draft, I really hope we end up with a top 5 pick.

I can see why Jones is hyped so much but think he needs to simplify his game more. He was trying to do too much and kept turning the puck over. I'd rank him about 3-5.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Jones will be good, but I just don't see him becoming a Pronger level of dman. If you look at a dman like Hedman who's very good, yet I think still needs to be considered somewhat of a disappointment because he hasn't lived up to the hype that was expected of him. I see a similar path for Jones based on what I've seen of him. I think he's going to be really good, but I would not take him 2nd overall with the other talents available.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Raw talents, yes. But his decision making, from what I've seen in the tournament, looks pretty rough. If it's indicative of his actual hockey sense (which I have no idea of one way or the other) then my bet is he ends up like something along the lines of Phaneuf as a ceiling. That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but when you have options like Barkov kicking around in the same group, it's not necessarily ideal.
That's the one issue that's stood out to me as well, his hockey sense.

In the Slovakia game he was jumping up into the play on the PK when the US was winning 6-2 or something. Ray Ferraro called him out on it.

Still a work in progress no doubt, but he's special

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
That's the one issue that's stood out to me as well, his hockey sense.

In the Slovakia game he was jumping up into the play on the PK when the US was winning 6-2 or something. Ray Ferraro called him out on it.

Still a work in progress no doubt, but he's special

I would attribute that to a Phil Housley coached team.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Nice job Johnny-boy! Hattrick for Gaudreau after two sets against Czech Rebublic. 5 goals in tournament so far, looking good. Nice to see that Sieloff is playing too.

Granlund scored 4+1 in four games and he played good at times but at times he was bad, especially against Czech Rebublic. But showed against Switzerland, that he's ice cold when you have to make couple of goals to get the win. Overall he was ok.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
What a showing by Gaudreau! Keeps getting better every game!

It's gunna be a good game tomorrow, let's just hope the right team wins. Go Canada!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad