GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships Thread

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Plus you don't want him to feel snubbed by the Flames if we leave him in college for two more years, he could pull a Justin Schultz.

I honestly don't see that in him and he seems pretty happy to have been drafted by the Flames. It's completely possible though and I agree we should try to sign him asap if they don't fix it in the CBA.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Anyone else saw that one play where Johnny was behind the net and he fed a nifty pass to Sieloff to 1time but he fanned?

Would've been nice to see :yo:

Trae

Calgary
I honestly don't see that in him and he seems pretty happy to have been drafted by the Flames. It's completely possible though and I agree we should try to sign him asap if they don't fix it in the CBA.
Agreed. Flames had high praise for him and their move to take him in the fourth round, when teams were still passing over him, probably showed a great deal of respect to Gaudreau. A lot of people were mocking and making fun of the pick since he weighed like 135 at the time. People have been doubting him his whole life yet our organization has always supported and believed in him and I think he recognizes that.

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
I highly doubt Gaudreau would stay at BC 4 years to play for another team. He's not that type of a guy. Humble and quiet kid. I think Calgary will talk to him and whenever he decides to leave school it will be in both his and Calgary's best interest

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Since Gaudreau played for Dubuque(USHL), which is equivalent to BCHL, if he plays out his 4 years of college he could do that.

But with the new CBA coming I'd think they will fix that issue

Incorrect. (IIRC)

In order to have qualified Gaudreau would have had to play in Dubuque after being drafted. Instead he went straight to BC and effectively eliminated that loophole. For example Justin Schultz was drafted out of the BCHL as a 17 year old, and returned for one more season before heading to Wisconsin. The same can be said for Wheeler who was drafted out of the USHS, and then played one season in the USHL as an 18 year old before making his NCAA debut.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Personally, I see JG playing one more year at BC to work on his strength, then coming to the Heat after that and playing one year of pro before trying to make the jump to the NHL. However, if he wins another championship there, and wins the Hobey Baker, he may not feel like he has much else to accomplish. I'm sure the Flames will meet with him at seasons end and discuss the best route for him to take so everyone is happy.

This has ended up being Gaudreau's coming out party and his status as an elite prospect is definitely rising.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Watching Johnny I just can't wait to see what kind of damage he can do on our team in a few years time. Super excited to see him in the finals the day after tomorrow as well. Tough situation though, because of course I can't cheer against my country in a WJC. I think it's going to be a very even game.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Personally, I see JG playing one more year at BC to work on his strength, then coming to the Heat after that and playing one year of pro before trying to make the jump to the NHL. However, if he wins another championship there, and wins the Hobey Baker, he may not feel like he has much else to accomplish. I'm sure the Flames will meet with him at seasons end and discuss the best route for him to take so everyone is happy.

This has ended up being Gaudreau's coming out party and his status as an elite prospect is definitely rising.

The Flames should do their best to keep Gaudreau as far away from their minor league system as they can. I know that people have a boner for Troy Ward because he wins games and is a great interview, but I think he sucks at using and developing talent. I don't see much value in Gaudreau playing second fiddle to career AHL players. Gaudreau might be dynamic enough to force the coach's hand, but I wouldn't take that chance. Johnny Hockey plays at Boston until he's ready to make the jump and then he's a top six player for the Flames.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
If he wins Hobey Baker/H-East/NCAA, there won't be anything left for him to prove. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he turned pro next year. I know strength/training is important, but the last thing I want for him is to have his development stagnate. It's all looking a little too easy for him, so let's push him to the next level, see how he responds to the challenge of playing near-NHL talent in the AHL.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If he wins Hobey Baker/H-East/NCAA, there won't be anything left for him to prove. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he turned pro next year. I know strength/training is important, but the last thing I want for him is to have his development stagnate. It's all looking a little too easy for him, so let's push him to the next level, see how he responds to the challenge of playing near-NHL talent in the AHL.

The thing is, if he goes to the AHL he might be Physically overwhelmed at this point, staying in the NCAA would give him a better opportunity to do more training (fewer games).

So while he might not mature his game as much in the NCAA, staying there gives him an opportunity to fix the issues he does have...just my thoughts.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
A lot of the players in the NCAA are of the same physical stature to players playing in the AHL. I think a lot it will depend on what Gaudreau feels is left for him to prove in the NCAA. If he thinks the competition is not as challenging as it should be for him, then he should move to the AHL next season. If he thinks that he has more room to grow there and wants to focus on his conditioning and education, then he should stay in the NCAA.

I'm not worried about Ward stunting his development. Baertschi wasn't playing on the 4th line and neither would a player like Gaudreau. Seriously at this point Gaudreau has to be considered a top 20 prospect. The Flames are really lucky to have 2 players of that caliber.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Sucks to see that Canada lost. They played horrible and it was an embarrassing performance.

On the bright side, I'm very excited as a Flames fan to see our prospects do well!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
A lot of the players in the NCAA are of the same physical stature to players playing in the AHL. I think a lot it will depend on what Gaudreau feels is left for him to prove in the NCAA. If he thinks the competition is not as challenging as it should be for him, then he should move to the AHL next season. If he thinks that he has more room to grow there and wants to focus on his conditioning and education, then he should stay in the NCAA.

I'm not worried about Ward stunting his development. Baertschi wasn't playing on the 4th line and neither would a player like Gaudreau. Seriously at this point Gaudreau has to be considered a top 20 prospect. The Flames are really lucky to have 2 players of that caliber.

Good point, the NCAA certainly isn't the CHL, they have a lot of men on those teams. However, the AHL has Skill and Size more so than the NCAA, which is my concern.

Sadly he will never be widely regarded as a Top 20 prospect as he was drafted in the 4th round and, hes a Flames prospect.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Meh, you see a lot of players make the jump from NCAA straight to NHL for a reason.

I think Johnny could play one more year at BC and come to main camp the next year. AHL until he dominates there too :yo:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Good point, the NCAA certainly isn't the CHL, they have a lot of men on those teams. However, the AHL has Skill and Size more so than the NCAA, which is my concern.

Sadly he will never be widely regarded as a Top 20 prospect as he was drafted in the 4th round and, hes a Flames prospect.

Actually, the massive holes in his all around game will do that. Being a Flames prospect or the round he was drafted will not.

Kid's three years away from the NHL, minimum. What the Flames have to do is be patient and not walk away from him, like they did with St. Louis, and almost Stillman.

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Gaudreau should definitely stick around the NCAA for 1 more year. Get bigger and stronger and work on his skating, which I think would get exposed in the AHL. He's got the smarts, just needs time to build up the mass and work on the feet. I think he's more of a sneaky skater as opposed to fast, also his shot could use some zip on it. Would love to see him on the Calgary Flames pp someday.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Actually, the massive holes in his all around game will do that. Being a Flames prospect or the round he was drafted will not.

Kid's three years away from the NHL, minimum. What the Flames have to do is be patient and not walk away from him, like they did with St. Louis, and almost Stillman.

Not saying he doesn't have holes in his game, but even if he didn't he still would not be regarded in that way, simply because of where he was drafted.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Gaudreau should stay in the NCAA next year and then come play for the Heat for two seasons. IMO that would be the best case scenario.

Also, I've read an interesting piece on Canadian coaching. Some people have suggested that TC should have a coach that returns to the WJC's year after year. I tend to agree with them, as it would lead to better chemistry with returning players.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Gaudreau should stay in the NCAA next year and then come play for the Heat for two seasons. IMO that would be the best case scenario.

Also, I've read an interesting piece on Canadian coaching. Some people have suggested that TC should have a coach that returns to the WJC's year after year. I tend to agree with them, as it would lead to better chemistry with returning players.

I agree with staying in the NCAA for at least 1 year but I don't think he needs to years on Heat he was a dominate 1 way player last year and this year has become a solid 2 way player if he continues his progression I don't think he will need much time in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad