Pre-Game Talk: 2013 Training Camp, with 100% More Bob Evans!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Bylsma is about to speak to the media at the rink. I might update this thread with additional quotes. Maybe not. I hate most of you, and want to keep all of these delicious, helpful quotes to myself.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Kind of interesting that Bennett might see time with Crosby. I would love to see it, honestly. I'm also a little curious to see how Jokinen plays with Malkin for more than a few shifts. They didn't get many looks, last year.

Any word yet on whether or not DARPA is going to come through on that forcefield technology for the Penguins? It doesn't seem fair to just allow Boston to use it. Especially seeing as how Fleury needs it.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Oh lawdy, not Bylsma quotes.

So if he's planning on moving Juice and Beauner onto Malkin's line, and moving Neal up to play with the Golden Boy... where is Dupuis going to play? Sounds like 3rd line by definition.

Kunitz - Sid - Neal
Juice - Geno - Beauner
Dupuis - Sutter - D'Ags

?

I guess we could do worse. As long as one of Neal or Beauner is on Malkin's line at all times, I will not short-circuit.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007

So if he's planning on moving Juice and Beauner onto Malkin's line, and moving Neal up to play with the Golden Boy... where is Dupuis going to play? Sounds like 3rd line by definition.

Kunitz - Sid - Neal
Juice - Geno - Beauner
Dupuis - Sutter - D'Ags

?

I guess we could do worse. As long as one of Neal or Beauner is on Malkin's line at all times, I will not short-circuit.

I think Bylsma meant that Bennett and Jokinen will both see time with Malkin AND Neal. So they'd be rotating there on the LW.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I don't think that's what he meant, at all. I think he was referring to that gaping LW hole on Malkin's line. The unspoken assumption is that Neal stays on that line, regardless, at RW. I read it as Bennett and Jokinen both being given cracks at that LW spot during camp.

But I could be way off. Though it makes less than zero sense to remove Neal from Malkin's RW. So... I probably am reading it incorrectly.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think Bylsma meant that Bennett and Jokinen will both see time with Malkin AND Neal. So they'd be rotating there on the LW.

I think Bylsma is un-parsable. ;) But I'd be OK with that too. I think he will mesh well with Malkin on either wing.

Willy: of course it makes no sense to move Neal off Geno's line but this is Bylsma we're talking about here. Would not be shocked to see Neal on Crosby's wing at some point as they haven't really had a chance to do that since Neal has been here... to get them on the same line starting in camp for an 82 game season. Crosby was either hurt, or we had the lockout, etc.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
So sounds like KCD will definitely start the season, but maybe Bylsma is slightly aware that Crosby and Bennett could create some amazing offense together.

Kunitz - Sid - Neal
Juice - Geno - Beauner
Dupuis - Sutter - D'Ags

?

He meant that they will see time on Malkin's wing in camp. Neal is stapled to the other side.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing the above lines tried, we need to shake something up in the top six.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bylsma says Jokinen and Bennett will play alongside Malkin in camp and that Bennett might get some work with Crosby at times during season.

https://twitter.com/MolinariPG/status/377454481480228865
https://twitter.com/MolinariPG/status/377453962401574913

GUYS! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS?

Bylsma is just ****ing with you. Super Duper and Kunitz will be on Crosby's wing until he retires, even if Bylsma has to slap skates on Duper's and Kunitz's wheel chairs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
As long as Bennett sees SOME shifts with Sid, I'm confident those two will force DB's hand eventually.

If no one is brought in to upgrade the top 6, I'd go Dupes/Sid/Beau and Kuni/Malkin/Neal all the way.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm glad 4 of 4 people read that differently than me. I am a Believer â„¢ in Geno-Neal.

The criticism of Bylsma is that he stubbornly sticks with something forever, like Linus with his security blanket. The last person who would change something that he has been using forever is Bylsma.

Bylsma's faults lie in the other direction.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So sounds like KCD will definitely start the season, but maybe Bylsma is slightly aware that Crosby and Bennett could create some amazing offense together.

He meant that they will see time on Malkin's wing in camp. Neal is stapled to the other side.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing the above lines tried, we need to shake something up in the top six.

Beyond trying different combinations out at camp... I wouldn't be terribly pleased with that plan, to be honest. Bennett looks like he's going to be a good one but he's still extremely unproven and inexperienced. Jokinen is a complimentary player. Neither one is a pure shooter... which Malkin thrives with.

I don't disagree that mixing things up in the top six is a good idea, though.

I'd love to see Dupuis/Crosby/Bennett and Kunitz/Malkin/Neal, personally. Though I also like Kunitz/Crosby/Bennett and Jokinen/Malkin/Neal with Dupuis slotting down to the third line to provide more balance. Though that second option is probably a non-starter.

EDIT: mpp beat me to my ideal line combo.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
As long as Bennett sees SOME shifts with Sid, I'm confident those two will force DB's hand eventually.

If no one is brought in to upgrade the top 6, I'd go Dupes/Sid/Beau and Kuni/Malkin/Neal all the way.

It has worked twice before with 2 different players.

Sullivan-Crosby-Dupuis

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla

Those two lines were pretty good for us. Not adding the fact that Kunitz-Malkin-Neal were the 2nd line both times those lines were used and that was a great line also.

So I think the best way we can get the best out of our top 6 forwards is to go with...

Bennett-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I'm reading into these quotes as saying that this will be a competition between Jussi and Bennett for that LW spot on Geno's wing, which fills me with joy.

I don't think he touches the 14-87-9 line 1 come regular season, although it would be really nice to see Bylsma follow up on this promise and let Bennett play on Crosby's wing in the preseason. Ultimately I think this is where Bennett belongs in our future plans, playing with Sid. I also think putting Beau on the first line distributes our talent better and smooths out the patchy bottom-6.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
D'Agostino-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass(Jeffrey)-Vitale-Adams

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... I really like that lineup a lot. Given the forwards that the team is working with... I think that provides the most balanced attack and combination of players strengths on each line.

Though Malkin's LW could still be better. No disrespect to Jussi... but a more, uh... Kunitz-like player would be much better suited there. At least if just about every successful Malkin-centric line combination from the past is any indication. Though I still think that Jokinen is savvy enough of a player to make it work.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Hate to go down Debbie Downer road, but....

As excited as I am right now, 3 weeks out now from the season opener, I can't help but have a sinking feeling in my stomach about our bottom-6. One injury and we are ****ed. Something I feel not a lot of people have addressed is exactly how much we will miss Matt Cooke.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

As excited as I am right now, 3 weeks out now from the season opener, I can't help but have a sinking feeling in my stomach about our bottom-6. One injury and we are ****ed. Something I feel not a lot of people have addressed is exactly how much we will miss Matt Cooke.

I completely agree, actually.

The bottom half of the forward lineup is pretty underwhelming. And it looks even worse in a playoff setting... at least on paper.

Quality forward depth has always been at a premium on this team, with few exceptions. It's especially thin this year, IMO. And yeah... losing Cooke hurts, I think. He ended up being a little pricey but they could have made it work. I felt he was really starting to completely round out and get comfortable playing his "new" style of game, too.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I agree with the bolded. I honestly do think that Bennett is the 'winger for Sid' that we've been looking for.

As far as the top six, I think Duper would actually be better with Malkin and Neal. All Geno's LW needs to do is get him the puck and play defense. Meanwhile neither Dupuis or Bennett are ideal main shooting options. Kunitz has a better shot than both of them right now and I think he'd be better utilized with Crosby and Bennett.

Beyond trying different combinations out at camp... I wouldn't be terribly pleased with that plan, to be honest. Bennett looks like he's going to be a good one but he's still extremely unproven and inexperienced. Jokinen is a complimentary player. Neither one is a pure shooter... which Malkin thrives with.

I meant trying them in camp. It would be nice for Dan to at least look at other options.

I don't disagree that mixing things up in the top six is a good idea, though.

I'd love to see Dupuis/Crosby/Bennett and Kunitz/Malkin/Neal, personally. Though I also like Kunitz/Crosby/Bennett and Jokinen/Malkin/Neal with Dupuis slotting down to the third line to provide more balance. Though that second option is probably a non-starter.

EDIT: mpp beat me to my ideal line combo.

I'm happy with any combination that involves Crosby-Bennett and Malkin-Neal. The dream is to acquire another LW that can push Dupuis down to the third line, but Jokinen probably isn't that guy.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Two points.

First, we knew that this year would be one where the cap would pinch, but just this year. We kept the gang together for being serious contenders for the next 5-10 years, but the cost was this year was depth. Which we will have the resources to address in spades in coming years. But honestly, winning a cup this year was not the primary goal, it would be gravy. The goal was securing our core long term for future runs.

Second, if your worst problem is your bottom six, it is not the worst thing in the world. I doubt that scoring goals will be an issue with this team whatever the bottom six does. As long as they can provide some reliable defensive and PK play, I am fine. And if one goes down I doubt that there will be much dropoff to whoever we bring in from WBS. In short, I do not think that our season rises and falls on our bottom six. An injury to our core players however, and we could be in some trouble.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I completely agree, actually.

The bottom half of the forward lineup is pretty underwhelming. And it looks even worse in a playoff setting... at least on paper.

Quality forward depth has always been at a premium on this team, with few exceptions. It's especially thin this year, IMO. And yeah... losing Cooke hurts, I think. He ended up being a little pricey but they could have made it work. I felt he was really starting to completely round out and get comfortable playing his "new" style of game, too.

Given a lot of the other UFA signings, 2.5 million is not so bad IMO. Cooke took some pretty decent paycuts to stay around in Pittsburgh multiple times, and I think a lot of us took that for granted in light of his "character issues".

It's not really fair to compare to a guy like Holmgren, I know, but compare Cookie's contract to Dan Cleary's 3x2.75 stinker, for example. Yes, you can argue he was a big cap casualty, but what if Shero acted quicker to keep him around? (Use a buy-out on Glass, move Niskanen earlier in the offseason, and don't sign D'Agostino...just spitballing here obviously)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Given a lot of the other UFA signings, 2.5 million is not so bad IMO. Cooke took some pretty decent paycuts to stay around in Pittsburgh multiple times, and I think a lot of us took that for granted in light of his "character issues".

It's not really fair to compare to a guy like Holmgren, I know, but compare Cookie's contract to Dan Cleary's 3x2.75 stinker, for example. Yes, you can argue he was a big cap casualty, but what if Shero acted quicker to keep him around? (Use a buy-out on Glass, move Niskanen earlier in the offseason, and don't sign D'Agostino...just spitballing here obviously)

I do not care what kind of discount players want to offer. Signing Crosby, Malkin, and Letang to long term basically most of their productive career contracts the past couple of years, not to mention Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, and Scuderi long term, with the cap dropping over $6 million this year made it impossible to keep secondary players. It is not a bad problem to have, we have some of the best talent in the NHL including the two players most would start a team with. That makes keeping secondary players, like Cooke, even at a discount, problematic, at least in a year that the cap drops almost 9% and you have to sign players like Malkin, Letang, Kunitz and Dupuis long term. I thought that we would be losing a much bigger name that Cooke or Kennedy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess that resonates much more if you are convinced that someone like Dupuis was a "must" sign. Scuderi too, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad