2013 training camp thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Parise above Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and Tavares?

Not so sure about that TSN list. :huh:

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
tenative lines:

big 3
nino-coyle-heater
cooke-brodz-granlund
mitchell-konopka-fontaine

suter-brodin
scandella-spurgeon
ballard-dumba/stoner

OpRedDawn*

tenative lines:

big 3
nino-coyle-heater
cooke-brodz-granlund
mitchell-konopka-fontaine

suter-brodin
scandella-spurgeon
ballard-dumba/stoner
bah. I still don't like Granny there. He kinda ruins the flow of that 3rd line, and it's dumb to have him on the 4th, even if yeo wants his 'unconventional' 4th line.

granny to iowa

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
Well my definition of star player is different. It's the guy that puts butts in the seats and keeps them on the edge. I loved Lidstrom's game and what he did was amazing, but Mike Green was much more exciting during his prime.

Omg this is pure gold. If you don't think Lidstrom put more people in the seats then Mike Green, I really don't know what to say. A guy who NEVER missed the playoffs in 20 seasons (his entire NHL career), won 4 Stanley cups, 7 Norris trophies, an Olympic gold medal and was a 12 time NHL all-star just to name some of his accomplishments compared to the flash-in-the-pan Mike Green, really?

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
meh, hybrid icing doesnt really solve any of the injury risks, no touch icing is the only solution

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
there are stars that are stars because they are dynamic and there are stars that are there because they are consistently great though unexciting players. Boogaard was a friggin star.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Here we go again another Finn cries because we don't think Mikko is the second coming. Nobody is bashing Mikko I just simply stated he is not this teams franchise player..whether the fans around the league, Parise donning Wild fans at the Xcel..FSN north advertisements..TSN player rankings or Craig Leipolds wallet have to prove it to you I could care less. Koivu isn't this teams "franchise player". Zach Parise is.

Nobody is saying he isn't a hell of a hockey player or that we aren't a fan of his..because I am a big fan. He's a great player.

Been waiting for someone to say this out loud, its kinda ridiculous indeed. Being able to balance out the realism and natural bias for rooting someone is something that should be applied more here. Same with MG etc. But you gotta keep in mind, hockey is our national treasure, and now that NHL is more accessible than ever homies root for homeboys and often develop symphaties to a certain team with their favorite player(s).

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
there are stars that are stars because they are dynamic and there are stars that are there because they are consistently great though unexciting players. Boogaard was a friggin star.

*begins slow clap*

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
It doesn't matter if Koivu's a "star" or a "superstar" or "the best player" or anything. What's important is that he's a really good piece to have on the team. He was never going to carry the whole team, but then, nobody does in this league. Stamkos is probably second only to Crosby in terms of talent, and yet the Lightning are abysmal. Meanwhile Crosby has Malkin, Letang, and Neal. Gretzky had Jari Kurri, Mark Messier, and Paul Coffey.

The team is better with Koivu on the ice, period. Bringing in guys like Parise, Suter, Brodin, Dumba, and Coyle will take some pressure off of him in the long run, and he will likewise make those players better. That's all that really matters at this point.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Glad to hear it, long overdue. Why do you say "surprisingly"?

Also, brace yourselves for boneheaded linesmen calls for the first few weeks.

Rumor had it that the forwards would vote against the change because they did not have much danger with or without the rule. That's why I was surprised it pasted.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
All the rule does is get rid of no-contest icings, we are still gonna have injuries from the close ones.

Once we have a couple more injuries they will move to no-touch.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Much better! :nod:

I'd say Suter is our franchise player.

I wouldn't, at least not yet.

Koivu, as for now, is our franchise player. He's spent his entire career here, he's the captain and he's very good in what he does.

Let's get back to this question once Parise and Suter have played a couple of seasons here. But right know, it's Koivu. And it's not even close.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Why the hell are we arguing about someone else's definition of a completely subjective term like "franchise player" or "star?" Root for whomever the hell you want...

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
It's not a new hockey season unless we have a debate about Koivu's value to the team. The only thing missing is the annual "Should he be captain" thread. :shakehead

He's more valuable to this team than to others. But he sure ticked me off in the last game. That said, when he's on....he's really on. But when he starts taking those lazy penalties.....:rant:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Why the hell are we arguing about someone else's definition of a completely subjective term like "franchise player" or "star?" Root for whomever the hell you want...

I won't rest until everyone on the internet agrees with my opinion! ;)

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
isnt life as a msg board poster eggsellent? we are getting better but its just too freakin slow 4 me! go wild, go crazy but not both. done! we win! yabba dabba doo! (i may be pui)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad