2013 Training Camp Discussion

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall these units on Wednesday night...

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo - Boyes - Streit
Martin - Nielsen - Grabner - Hamonic - MacDonald

I don't remember the PK pairs but I know for sure that Nielsen, Grabner, JT, Reasoner, and Martin all had PK time.

I thought the first PP unit consisted of JT/Moulson/Boyes up front with Streit/Neilsen at the points.

Hyphistos

Jul 16, 2012
Vienna
I thought the first PP unit consisted of JT/Moulson/Boyes up front with Streit/Neilsen at the points.

That seems correct. Unfortunately I haven't seen the game but look here: http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650923

It states:
The two power play units used during the scrimmage and then during Thursday’s on-ice session featured the following:

Unit #1
Matt Moulson – John Tavares – Brad Boyes
Frans Nielsen – Mark Streit

Boyes fills the void left by PA Parenteau’s off-season departure, while Nielsen provides a defensive presence but with a hard shot and ability to play make.

Unit #2
Kyle Okposo –Michael Grabner – David Ullstrom
Andrew MacDonald – Travis Hamonic

After playing much of last year at the point on the power play, Okposo returns to play forward.

Regarding PK it says:
During the scrimmage, the top two penalty kill units also saw significant time.

-The forwards consisted of Frans Nielsen partnered with Michael Grabner and Marty Reasoner paired with Matt Martin.

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
As many as 6 including #devils #canes #isles "@SunGarrioch: Not sure how many teams are in on UFA S. Gomez but #sharks have tendered offer."

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
It's incredible how Capuano loves Nielsen : 1st pp unit, 1st pk unit, regular on 4 on 4 and 5 on 5 and of course the 1st to be use on the shootout (that's normal). I'm almost sure if we ask that question to Capuano "Who is your most valuable player?" he would answer "Frans Nielsen!";)

I like Nielsen too but I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to see him on the first pp unit. I'd go with Okposo instead and hope that Visnovsky take that spot if he comes over.

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
Really, really, really want to see Bailey playing LW on a line with Okposo on the RW. I eventually see Boyes dropping down the depth chart, and would expect Nino to come in at some point and take a scoring role. Same with one of our centers, Nelson or Sundstrom, if/when Cizikas struggles to produce offensively. I'd love to eventually see this lineup early on:

Moulson - Tavares - Niederreiter
Bailey - Nelson/Sundstrom - Okposo
Ullstrom - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Reasoner/Cizikas/Aucoin - Boulton/Boyes

Extremely talented 1st line; Big, physical but skilled 2nd line; Well balanced offensive/defensive 3rd line; 4th energy/banger line.

I love these lines!! People will think putting Nino on the first line after last season is crazy. But given the year he's had at Bridgeport and from the scrimmage the other night, the kid seems so much more confident and skates with a purpose!! Playing alongside Tavares never hurt anyone either..

I really like that second line, as I've always felt Bailey and Okposo should be playing together. Brock Nelson would be the perfect smart, skilled and huge type of player that would really bring that line together.. If you want to ease Nelson in, put him on left wing and let Bailey center them. If the Isles are set on seeing Nino and Nelson finish this season in Bridgeport, then I hope these are the lines heading into training camp next year.

I am a big fan of Sundstrom as well, I just feel he needs a little more time at Bridgeport, but he is alot further along than any of us could have imagined before the season started..

Those three kids (Nino, Nelson and Sundstrom) along with the continued development of Bailey, Okposo and Tavares are what i am most excited about as far as our forwards go... Anders Lee is the secret wild card. I think Lee will be a beast. Hope we sign him..

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It's incredible how Capuano loves Nielsen : 1st pp unit, 1st pk unit, regular on 4 on 4 and 5 on 5 and of course the 1st to be use on the shootout (that's normal). I'm almost sure if we ask that question to Capuano "Who is your most valuable player?" he would answer "Frans Nielsen!";)

I like Nielsen too but I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to see him on the first pp unit. I'd go with Okposo instead and hope that Visnovsky take that spot if he comes over.

Check out the big discussion round (about 35-40 minutes) with Doug Weight from a few weeks back at IslesTV.

He explains a bit about why he loves having Nielsen out on the PP.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wow I just saw our 23 man roster

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Dee-...onnolly-Strait--Roster/129/48561#.UPn-_GfDJbI

Forwards
Keith Aucoin
Eric Boulton
Brad Boyes
Casey Cizikas
Michael Grabner
Matt Martin
Colin McDonald
Matt Moulson
Frans Nielsen
Kyle Okposo
Marty Reasoner
John Tavares
David Ullstrom

Defensemen
Matt Carkner
Joe Finley
Travis Hamonic
Thomas Hickey
Andrew MacDonald
Radek Martinek
Brian Strait
Mark Streit

Goalies
Rick DiPietro
Evgeni Nabokov

That bottom 6 doesn't seem that promising, and our 2nd line looks more like a good third line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad