2013 Training Camp Discussion

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
anyone think there will be any camp tryouts/invites from and vets?

I wish i knew a list of who was still out there...

Im also curious to see what impact our next head coach Thompson has on our defense and team...

Mattiboy13

Feb 4, 2005
read somewhere that camp will start saturday at iceworks, most likely open to fans. if so i will be there!

twitter has some good info and pics today, the ice is down at NVMC, and small participation at iceworks today, much more people coming into town by tuesday and wed.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Given that De Haan is out and Ness has been underwhelming, I would really like to see the Isles invite a UFA dman to camp...as far as I can tell there are a few guys Brett Clark, Randy Jones, Kurtis Foster. Heck, even former Isles Chris Campoli and Mark Eaton are better than our current #7.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Given that De Haan is out and Ness has been underwhelming, I would really like to see the Isles invite a UFA dman to camp...as far as I can tell there are a few guys Brett Clark, Randy Jones, Kurtis Foster. Heck, even former Isles Chris Campoli and Mark Eaton are better than our current #7.

I would not mind Jones or foster as 7th dman

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
What about Paul Ranger? He is looking to make a comeback and if I recall he was very good on the Lightning. Hasn't played in 3 years but signed an AHL deal with the Marlies. Given that he inexplicably took a leave of absence from the Lightning and never returned, and no one knows why, a smaller time team could be a good fit for him to sign with or at the very least try out with.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Just got word that Strome is travelling to LI with Tavares as we speak. Not sure if he's allowed to participate but he's def on his way here.

You need to include links to info like that.

I believe below is what he is referring too.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/288428108636360704

And, a bit of good news for #Isles fans feeling kicked around: Offseason workout buds @91Tavares and @strome18 arriving together this wk.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
What about Paul Ranger? He is looking to make a comeback and if I recall he was very good on the Lightning. Hasn't played in 3 years but signed an AHL deal with the Marlies. Given that he inexplicably took a leave of absence from the Lightning and never returned, and no one knows why, a smaller time team could be a good fit for him to sign with or at the very least try out with.

Adding some more under the radar/washed up players because, let's be honest, we're only getting players to sign or try out here if they're under the radar or washed up: Cam Barker, Paul Mara.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
This is a long shot, but what about Jeff Finger? Yes, he was dramatically overpaid, but he might be worth adding if it means keeping Griff out of the NHL.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
I'd like to see isles invite arnott to camp. He may still have a bit left and we wouldn't have to rush strome, although I wouldn't hate it if strome made team I would just rather him start next year but either way I'm fine with it since he has been ripping it up in juniors.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Will we see Snow reach out to ex-Islander Chris Campoli, invite him to camp to see what kind of shape he's in?

He and the team didn't split on the best of terms.

Campoli was po'd that the Streit was getting the icetime/pp time that Campoli had been eating up. Campoli saw himself as a better player then the NYI did. Scott Gordon accused him of being a whiner and bad apple, after Campoli requested a trade.

To give CC credit, he kept his trade demand quiet, which helped the NYI with his trade value. Isles got 26th overall+ McAmmond for Campoli+ Comrie.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Ranger will probably make the Leafs, especially with Gardiner out with neck/concussion issues. They also have Franson as an RFA, the Isles might get lucky with a waiver pickup. Mike Kostka has been great with the Marlies, along with Ranger.

I think the Isles are down to Eaton, Campoli, Brett Clark, Kurtis Foster, Randy Jones or Jeff Finger...not a happy place when looking for help on defense. Maybe a Keith Ballard or Mike Komisarek buyout?

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Foster is the best available by far then followed by jones, eaton,campoli, lukowich... Foster the only one worth anything IMO. Some one asked about jaroslav spachek, he retired back in November

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
Ranger will probably make the Leafs, especially with Gardiner out with neck/concussion issues. They also have Franson as an RFA, the Isles might get lucky with a waiver pickup. Mike Kostka has been great with the Marlies, along with Ranger.

I think the Isles are down to Eaton, Campoli, Brett Clark, Kurtis Foster, Randy Jones or Jeff Finger...not a happy place when looking for help on defense. Maybe a Keith Ballard or Mike Komisarek buyout?

In that case forget the tryout and offer him money now. He's signed to an AHL contract, although with less than 2 weeks to the season I guess it's very wishful thinking.
In any case the Islanders definitely need bodies on defense. At this point I think they we only what, 7 or 8 defensemen under NHL contracts, maybe 4 of whom have any type of significant NHL experience. We need depth and someone who can play D. Any of those you listed would be fine, at least they can somewhat play at this level.

Also I see no one mentioning Barker. Has he regressed that much or can he still play in the NHL? Seems like the typical guy that the Islanders would give a second chance to.

Bartulis can also be an option. Obviously none of these players are ideal, but they're ones I can see the Isles throwing a bone to.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad