2013 Training Camp Discussion

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The only bad thing about Strome being sent back is that Cizikas probably has his 3C spot cemented.

Isles are really setting themselves up to fail this year. Grabner-Nielsen-Boyes is a "hail mary" second line. Nielsen's proven to be more effective as a 3C; Grabner is coming off a 30-point down year; Boyes has basically played at a 4th line level the last couple of years.

With that in mind, you would think they'd try to roll a 3rd line that can score some goals to help compensate for the below average 2nd line. Ullstrom-Cizikas-McDonald will probably be a decent defensive line, but IMO they will provide absolutely no offense.

I don't mind Strome getting sent back, especially considering it's a short camp and there isn't much time to adjust to the pro level, but just giving Cizikas that spot(which is basically what they've done) is a very poor move. IMO guys like Nelson or even Sundstrom would be better options. At least these guys can be called up at any point. Strome will now have to wait.

Maybe the Aucoin claim winds up sending Cizikas back to the Bridge?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
That would be even worse.

Aucoin will probably fill that "leadership" role that McDonald had down in Bridgeport, now that it appears he'll be on the opening night roster.

I think that even if they kept Strome up here, they're in a lose-lose situation. While Strome has more potential than the other 2, there's no guarantee that he'll be able to put up points in the NHL at this time. So taking that into consideration, and running the risk of rushing him into NHL action, I think it's really a no-brainer to send Strome back to Niagra. He'll finish the regular season with the Ice Dogs, and because they won't be making the playoffs, he can come up to the Bridge to help the Sound Tigers with their playoff run.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
The only bad thing about Strome being sent back is that Cizikas probably has his 3C spot cemented.

Isles are really setting themselves up to fail this year. Grabner-Nielsen-Boyes is a "hail mary" second line. Nielsen's proven to be more effective as a 3C; Grabner is coming off a 30-point down year; Boyes has basically played at a 4th line level the last couple of years.

With that in mind, you would think they'd try to roll a 3rd line that can score some goals to help compensate for the below average 2nd line. Ullstrom-Cizikas-McDonald will probably be a decent defensive line, but IMO they will provide absolutely no offense.

I don't mind Strome getting sent back, especially considering it's a short camp and there isn't much time to adjust to the pro level, but just giving Cizikas that spot(which is basically what they've done) is a very poor move. IMO guys like Nelson or even Sundstrom would be better options. At least these guys can be called up at any point. Strome will now have to wait.

Unless they pick up connolly tonight/tomarrow. Roll with

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Ullstrom - Conolly - Boyes
Grabner - Neilsen - McDonald
Martin - Reasoner - Aucoin
Boulton

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
That would be even worse.

Aucoin will probably fill that "leadership" role that McDonald had down in Bridgeport, now that it appears he'll be on the opening night roster.

Aucoin is here to stay, McDonald is more likely to go to Bridgeport than Aucoin. Has to do with Waivers more than talent.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Aucoin is here to stay, McDonald is more likely to go to Bridgeport than Aucoin. Has to do with Waivers more than talent.

Since Strome went back we are down to 12 forwards. I'd expect at best Aucoin would serve as our 13th. Maybe even 14th if we bring that many forwards. Can't see him getting a spot anywhere in the top-12.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I think that even if they kept Strome up here, they're in a lose-lose situation. While Strome has more potential than the other 2, there's no guarantee that he'll be able to put up points in the NHL at this time. So taking that into consideration, and running the risk of rushing him into NHL action, I think it's really a no-brainer to send Strome back to Niagra. He'll finish the regular season with the Ice Dogs, and because they won't be making the playoffs, he can come up to the Bridge to help the Sound Tigers with their playoff run.

I don't think it's a "no-brainer" only because we have no real options on this team. There are no centers on this team after Tavares and Nielsen that you would look at and say "THAT is our 3C". Cizikas has a few NHL games but has limited offensive upside. Nelson and Sundstrom are AHL rookies, though they have both looked good so far. Strome is a 19 year old former-5th overall pick, although his upside is higher than any of the previous guys.

Strome's greatest enemy was the 5-day camp. Had this been a normal camp I would have expected him to get a better shot. I think Cap just wants to go with one of the guys who has experience playing against men at the pro level(which is understandable), but since Cizikas has the most experience of that group - he wins.

If this decision was based on who could help this team the most, I have no question that Cizikas would be starting the year either in Bridgeport or on the 4th line. Since apparently "not ruining" a prospect is more important than competing(not just referring to Strome, but Nelson and Sundstrom as well), I'm not surprised that Cizikas is the answer.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I don't think it's a "no-brainer" only because we have no real options on this team. There are no centers on this team after Tavares and Nielsen that you would look at and say "THAT is our 3C". Cizikas has a few NHL games but has limited offensive upside. Nelson and Sundstrom are AHL rookies, though they have both looked good so far. Strome is a 19 year old former-5th overall pick, although his upside is higher than any of the previous guys.

Strome's greatest enemy was the 5-day camp. Had this been a normal camp I would have expected him to get a better shot. I think Cap just wants to go with one of the guys who has experience playing against men at the pro level(which is understandable), but since Cizikas has the most experience of that group - he wins.

If this decision was based on who could help this team the most, I have no question that Cizikas would be starting the year either in Bridgeport or on the 4th line. Since apparently "not ruining" a prospect is more important than competing(not just referring to Strome, but Nelson and Sundstrom as well), I'm not surprised that Cizikas is the answer.

Short of yet another move, this team has no legitimate #2 center. Nielsen is the closest player who can fill the role as he's played in that spot before. So if it comes down to Strome or Cizikas in a 3rd or 4th line center role, I'd prefer to go with the prospect that is probably slotted for that role in the future. Much like the pointlessness of having Nino on the 4th line last year, Strome would be wasted in that role (ideally it would be neither prospect). This team isn't going anywhere this season with or without Strome in the line-up, so they might as well not mess with the kid's development in the process of stinking up the joint.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I didn't even think about that. It won't burn a year of his ELC if he does that, right?

scott99

May 13, 2005
Makes you wonder why they brought Strome and Reinhart to camp in the first place. They really had no intention of keeping them up. If it was to see what they have in both players, well, if they don't know that already, then we have some crappy management.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Good question, I didn't even think about that. Didn't the Isles recently do this with a prospect coming out of juniors? What was the situation in that case?

Brock Nelson got some games last year in Bridgeport. But in terms of kids from Junior, I recall Ryan O'Marra did the same thing.

Have to investigate this a little.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Makes you wonder why they brought Strome and Reinhart to camp in the first place. They really had no intention of keeping them up. If it was to see what they have in both players, well, if they don't know that already, then we have some crappy management.

I disagree here. I think Snow and Co. know that Strome and Reinhart are going to have a big future with the Islanders. I think all they did here was give them a taste of the big club and something to look forward to (also make them comfortable in the NHL environment.) and evaluate their progress so far against some NHL players. I would have to check but I am almost certain some other NHL clubs had recent draft picks up and returned them to their respective junior teams. Not everything on the Island is a conspiracy...

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
So the only players we know as of now that def didn't make the team are strome and Reinhardt, correct?

Everyone who is one the roster right now will be here till Bailey, Joensuu and Visnovsky arrive. So expect to see the roster from last night with Aucoin either on the 4th line or as an extra.

Forwards
26 Matt Moulson - 91 John Tavares - 21 Kyle Okposo
40 Michael Grabner - 51 Frans Nielsen - 24 Brad Boyes
41 David Ullstrom - 53 Casey Cizikas - 13 Colin McDonald
17 Matt Martin - 16 Marty Reasoner - 36 Eric Boulton

Defensemen
2 Mark Streit - 4 Radek Martinek
47 Andrew MacDonald - 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey - 7 Matt Carkner
52 Joe Finley

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I disagree here. I think Snow and Co. know that Strome and Reinhart are going to have a big future with the Islanders. I think all they did here was give them a taste of the big club and something to look forward to (also make them comfortable in the NHL environment.) and evaluate their progress so far against some NHL players. I would have to check but I am almost certain some other NHL clubs had recent draft picks up and returned them to their respective junior teams. Not everything on the Island is a conspiracy...

I agree with your assessment. There is nothing wrong just getting them into camp and just checking up on their progress. In such a shortened season with 5 days of training camp, neither player had much of a chance to impress enough to stick.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Everyone who is one the roster right now will be here till Bailey, Joensuu and Visnovsky arrive. So expect to see the roster from last night with Aucoin either on the 4th line or as an extra.

Forwards
26 Matt Moulson - 91 John Tavares - 21 Kyle Okposo
40 Michael Grabner - 51 Frans Nielsen - 24 Brad Boyes
41 David Ullstrom - 53 Casey Cizikas - 13 Colin McDonald
17 Matt Martin - 16 Marty Reasoner - 36 Eric Boulton

Defensemen
2 Mark Streit - 4 Radek Martinek
47 Andrew MacDonald - 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey - 7 Matt Carkner
52 Joe Finley

Would rather Martin on the 3rd line instead of McDonald. He's not the greatest fighter, despite his size and willingness, and he has proven he has some offensive ability during his last year in juniors (and flashes during his 1st 2 NHL season). I prefer he gets some chances offensively, instead of sitting on the bench getting 7 minutes a game. Hopefully he gets to the third line. It's gonna be interesting when Bailey and Joensuu get back, I would assume they get a few games in Bridgeport (conditioning stint like Nino last year), then come back to the Isle. Then Cizikas and Ullstrom may be going back to Bridgeport.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia

Wasn't there two teams last night tho? So what would the roster look like?

The Other team was the Bridgeport Sound Tigers plus Strome and Reinhart. Those two went back to the CHL this afternoon. Landry was sent down to the AHL.

7:11 of OT

Not my trophies
Oct 26, 2002
Eastern Suffolk, NY
Visit site

100% correct. I would add that the exposure at the camp for both players will help them identify parts of their games that they need to work on for NHL competition. They wouldn't see these issues against Junior teams, so this was a good development opportunity for players that will certainly be part of the team in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad