Speculation: 2013 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
That makes me want to cry because I think you're right. Hard to play against is nice but only if it surrounds skill. They can find tough but dynamic offensive ability is missing in this organization.

Let's say somehow Dallas is drafting 3rd. Jones and McKinnon are gone. Does everyone want Drouin (is Jeff Skinner a fair comparison?) or one of the centers?

Drouin crazy high upside, can be converted to C? amazing hands and hockey iq

Barkov great two way upside but maybe needs to work on his skating to really reach elite level. maybe more of a finisher

lindholm also great two way, a bit smaller, right shot adds value. great playmaking center who can fly

monahan great hockey iq, two way game maybe not as offensively skilled as the others

instead of pick your poison we would be looking at picking our remedy.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Monahan will be a great player, but he brings to much of a two-way game like Eakin and Faksa. We need some offensive flair and that would come from Barkov.

I watched Monahan a lot in Ottawa the past few years. Not only is he an exceptional two-way player and leader, he creates chances offensively and has a scoring touch. He's been making players around him better in the best junior league in the world for several years now. I think he's the most complete player and has shown he can contribute offensively with anyone.

Brand New Stars

It's on Eklunds site, but it says tonights game in Dallas will be "scout central".

Brand New Stars

Well here's to Jagr, Roy and Morrow having fantastic games where we get beat 5-4.

Let's not forget Robidas.

He also goes on to mention those four along with Daley and Nystrom have drawn interest.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Benn - Barkov - Eriksson
Whitney - Eakin - Fraser
Roussel - Schroeder - Smith
I don't even care

Dillon - Rundblad
Goligoski - Sustr/Oleksiak
Daley - Larsen
Rome

Roy for Schroeder, something around those two

Really have no idea how to acquire Rundblad.

Please, for once, just blow it all up.

Sony Eriksson*

He also goes on to mention those four along with Daley and Nystrom have drawn interest.

I don't know...i would love to keep Nystrom around. He doesn't score much at all but his never give up attitude is something Dallas needs.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
It's not just scouts watching us, it's scouts watching Calgary. If there aren't 28 other teams' scouts in the building, we're not doing it right.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011

**** that noise. He'll be the longest tenured Star by a mile after Morrow and Robidas are gone.
Next up is Lou in 06-07.
That would be too weird.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
All 28 teams however have adamantly denied they are in attendance to scout Goligoski.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Will there be more scouts at our game tonight than fans?

Anyway.

Id like us to trade Roy for a 1st round pick, i think there will be a playoff team out there that would bite a team who needs depth at centre

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I had not even thought of the idea of Daley not being a Star anymore.
He has a number of years left on a very reasonable deal. I could see him fetching a nice return, but they had better have a plan in place to fill the roster with NHL defensemen for the remainder of this season and next.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think the only way Robidas gets traded is if Dallas retains a quarter to half his salary. Even though he doesn't cost that much, teams are going to still be careful about adding money next season with the cap going down.

Ottawa still seems like the perfect fit for me as well.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
No clue what GM Joe's got up his sleeves, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. Agreed with Lobo in regards to Dallas being one of the most active on deadline day.....or maybe that's just because that is what I'd like to see.

What sucks, though, is that I don't want to give up Jagr. To me he's been one of the highlights of this season, even if he stays off the scoresheet every now and then. Just the idea of Jaromir Jagr as a Dallas Star, it's not something I want to give up just yet. I'm still having fun with it. :laugh:

Hey, if Dallas rolled out "West Finland" back in the day (Lehtinen, Miettinen, Jokinen, Hagman), to relative success, who's to say "West Prague" won't be just as effective? :sarcasm:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
No clue what GM Joe's got up his sleeves, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.
I think everything he had up his sleeves does not match what the team has going on. I bet he was planning to add more than he was selling. He expected this to be a playoff team.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Hey, if Dallas rolled out "West Finland" back in the day (Lehtinen, Miettinen, Jokinen, Hagman), to relative success, who's to say "West Prague" won't be just as effective? :sarcasm:

Haven't pulled this shirt out in years...

helsinkisouth.jpg

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I think the only way Robidas gets traded is if Dallas retains a quarter to half his salary. Even though he doesn't cost that much, teams are going to still be careful about adding money next season with the cap going down.

Ottawa still seems like the perfect fit for me as well.

The team should retain as much as possible to get the best return they can, since cap space wont be an issue next season. The same thing should apply for trading any of the UFAs for this year.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
They can only retain salary on a couple of trades/contracts at a time I think... not sure on the exact number. It's not that many.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
They can only retain salary on a couple of trades/contracts at a time I think... not sure on the exact number. It's not that many.

Three.

Up to 50% of their salary. I think the only guy with more than one year on his contract that could get traded though is probably Robidas. Fiddler is an outside possibility, but he's been very effective out of the 4th center spot. I think they'd retain him for now since he's not going to command much anyway.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
That makes me want to cry because I think you're right. Hard to play against is nice but only if it surrounds skill. They can find tough but dynamic offensive ability is missing in this organization.

Let's say somehow Dallas is drafting 3rd. Jones and McKinnon are gone. Does everyone want Drouin (is Jeff Skinner a fair comparison?) or one of the centers?

Totally with you on your first post about trading away vets for prospects and picks. Darn rights that's what we should be doing. If we don't I'll be pizzed. Hate to say it also, but I want us to tank the season. I seriously, seriously want us to. A top 5 pick would help this franchise a lot more than getting spanked in the 1st round. I'm sick and tired of drafting mid-round-ish and hovering around mediocrity to not very good.

As far as drafting, I'm super high on Drouin and I'd give serious consideration to him even if drafting first. I don't think I'd be able to pass on Jones so it would likely be Jones, but Drouin for me is likely second. Even 3 months ago I had him at #2. I think he's that good.

After that, I'm with you on Barkov, I like Lindholm, and obviously Mackinnon would be nice.

But that's what this franchise needs right now. Screw mediocrity, mid-round picks, and delusions of grandeur. Let's add some exciting young talent and build a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad