Confirmed with Link: [2013] [TB/OTT] Ben Bishop to TB for Cory Conacher and a 4th round pick

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Senators fan coming in peace. Personally, I think this will be a win-win for both sides, and I can see that most of you guys see that already.

I've posted the same elsewhere but I think both teams gave up very replaceable (but equally valuable) assets. Sure, Bishop isn't a well established #1 starter, but then again, neither was Conacher a well established top-6 player. You guys seem to have a lot of NHL ready forward prospects, so losing Conacher isn't a huge loss. Same with Ottawa, we had three goalies and only two roster spots. Both Hasek and Kipprusoff were both acquired from similar situations, Ottawa might well regret giving up Bishop.

If Lindback didn't do well next season, without Bishop, the season would likely be a write-off. At best, Tampa would have had to make an expensive trade for a quality starter to replace him. With core guys like St. Louis and Vinny getting older it's not an option to waste years waiting for a prospect who may or may not develop. Tampa needed a second possible starter for next season, the only questions were "how to acquire one" and "how well established they needed to be". Either a #1 or a 1A/1B guy was needed.

Sure, Tampa could have spent some assets acquiring someone like Luo, Miller, etc.. instead of Bishop but then they have even less assets around to ensure that Miller was successful. If some people think Bishop was expensive, think about what Miller would have cost. Bishop has a good chance of becoming a starter and he's played well. A week ago he had the 2nd highest save % in the entire NHL. The goalie market wasn't great either. There isn't a true #1 available and only a few possible #1a/#1B guys and they're all worse than Bishop, IMO

Worst case scenario is that Bishop plays poorly and you gave up a good, but redundant, asset.. It's not the end of the world.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Not to get this thread off track, but you do have an Isles Avatar with the Devils and Islanders listed along with the bolts in your user title.

I'm from New York originally. The Islanders were the team my family loved and my first ever hockey game was at the NVMC. I will always be an Islanders fan. I know alot fans in this area have this whole, OH YOU LIVE HERE YOU MUST LIKE OUR TEAMS ONLY, mentality, but I don't share that. Especially with the Tampa Bay area fans being extremely fickle. That's just a fact, look at the lack of fans showing up to Bucs, Rays, and in seasons Lightning games. I'm amazed at the attendance at the Forum holding up so well this year.

Have never said that to you, not once. I disagreed with your stance and how I felt you were labeling other Lightning fans that didn't hate it, but never called into question your fandom. And I really don't feel like going through the logo/uniform crap again.

What I AM questioning here is this crap about Yzerman. Don't like the trade, fine. I'm not ok with every move he's made either. Not by a long shot. Still think he's an improvement over what we had, but will grant that isn't the greatest measuring stick. You just seem to have to carry it to another level. If I didn't know better I'd swear the guy had kicked your dog, kissed your girl and stolen your mother's life savings.

My bad, I thought you had been.

And yeah, he looks like roses next to dog crap compared to before, that was a mess. But I think that's why alot of people gave him a pass.

He didn't do all of those things, just some of them. ;)

I'm just frustrated, after being so close 2 years ago, it seems now we are so far. But I'll admit I'm a pessimist.

I just have a hard time grasping how one can be a true fan of more than one team, especially if those teams are all in the same conference. But hey that's just me.

I digress. Back to your conspiracy theories.

See my response to Daysof04.

The only reason the Devils are really in there is because ever since I was a kid I've loved the way Marty plays. He's my favorite player. So I root for him, and by proxy his team.

So glad you're so intelligent about all this. I can picture you at the Rays games screaming at the Yankees fans to go back to NY and how they're morons. Not taking into consideration a persons fanship doesn't always have state or city boundaries. I love that stuff.

You are beating a dead horse saying I'm not a true fan of more than one team. That's just idiotic to say.

I'm a fan of the school I got my bachelors degree from and the school I got my masters from. They are even in the same state! How could I be loyal to both schools?! That's nuts!

No conspiracy here, just a thought that Stevie will end up back with Detroit and wants that, based on what happened before. I don't see it as a far fetched conspiracy theory, but rather a possible occurance.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Bishop was the best puck handling goalie and best shoot out goalie for the Sens.
Great goalie, great guy and I wish him all the best.

Take care of Big Ben, he'll play his heart out for you.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I'm from New York originally. The Islanders were the team my family loved and my first ever hockey game was at the NVMC. I will always be an Islanders fan. I know alot fans in this area have this whole, OH YOU LIVE HERE YOU MUST LIKE OUR TEAMS ONLY, mentality, but I don't share that. Especially with the Tampa Bay area fans being extremely fickle. That's just a fact, look at the lack of fans showing up to Bucs, Rays, and in seasons Lightning games. I'm amazed at the attendance at the Forum holding up so well this year.

And yeah, he looks like roses next to dog crap compared to before, that was a mess. But I think that's why alot of people gave him a pass.

I'm just frustrated, after being so close 2 years ago, it seems now we are so far. But I'll admit I'm a pessimist.

The only reason the Devils are really in there is because ever since I was a kid I've loved the way Marty plays. He's my favorite player. So I root for him, and by proxy his team.

So glad you're so intelligent about all this. I can picture you at the Rays games screaming at the Yankees fans to go back to NY and how they're morons. Not taking into consideration a persons fanship doesn't always have state or city boundaries. I love that stuff.

You are beating a dead horse saying I'm not a true fan of more than one team. That's just idiotic to say.

I'm a fan of the school I got my bachelors degree from and the school I got my masters from. They are even in the same state! How could I be loyal to both schools?! That's nuts!

No conspiracy here, just a thought that Stevie will end up back with Detroit and wants that, based on what happened before. I don't see it as a far fetched conspiracy theory, but rather a possible occurance.

You're right about one thing at least. I hope and pray all the Yankee and Red Sox "fans" go back to their respective locations. Tampa Bay would be a much nicer place.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Personally, I think Stevie Y is doing an outstanding job as Lightning GM.

Seems he is really trying to get this franchise to a point where they are perennial contenders year in year out, much like his former organization Red Wings.

To that end, the guy will make some decisions that may not be the most popular in the short term, but he has shown he is committed to the franchise and will do what needs to be done.

The guy could have just as easily played it safe, not done a whole lot over the last two seasons and say "oh well, we will just bring up young guys and see".

No. The guy doesn't like what he sees, he does things to exact change, and is trying to work towards a long term contender status for the Lightning as a team.

For those who keep insisting Stevie Y is half assing his job, or that he somehow still puts Detroit in front of Tampa as an organization, you guys need to get a reality check.

Next season, Detroit and Tampa Bay will be division rivals.
Yzerman is a competitive guy. Always has been...but then, we all know that.

A competitive guy doesn't like to be shown up by anyone else...be it another player, another GM, or another organization. And that INCLUDES the Red Wings.
I am willing to bet, Yzerman would like nothing more than to equal and eventually surpass his former organization Detroit in competitiveness.

Will Yzerman make mistakes? Of course...he is human.
But to suggest the guy isn't doing all he can, or that his heart is in the Red Wings as opposed to the Lightning as he does his job, is really, well......ridiculous.

I am not a huge fan of seeing Cory Conacher go, but the bottom line is, Tampa Bay has plenty of skilled young forwards to go along with the core big three.

Skilled forwards are much easier to come by than skilled NHL goalies. He is taking the gamble that one of either Lindback or Bishop is just that, and I say, that's not a bad gamble at all.

And once guys like Victor Hedman, Radko Gudas, Keith Aulie and perhaps soon, Mark Barberio mature fully, the goalies' jobs will be made that much easier.

I for one, am looking forward to some fierce goal crease competition between Lindback and Bishop come next season.

Last edited:

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Trade deadline winners and losers

LOSERS

" Tampa Bay
Goaltending has been a problem in Tampa for a couple years now and Anders Lindback hasn’t been getting the job done. Is Ben Bishop the answer? The former Ottawa keeper will give it a shot, but he’s still relatively green and the Bolts’ defense corps hasn’t been very strong of late. Cory Conacher had been slumping lately, but most rookies do. The fact is, when he was on, he was on, and the Sens have the talented linemates to get him back on track. Despite all the talent up top and some great young prospects, this team is trending downward"

I'm sure the Bolts are the team trending down.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/51025-Trade-deadline-winners-and-losers.html

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
LOSERS

" Tampa Bay
Goaltending has been a problem in Tampa for a couple years now and Anders Lindback hasn’t been getting the job done. Is Ben Bishop the answer? The former Ottawa keeper will give it a shot, but he’s still relatively green and the Bolts’ defense corps hasn’t been very strong of late. Cory Conacher had been slumping lately, but most rookies do. The fact is, when he was on, he was on, and the Sens have the talented linemates to get him back on track. Despite all the talent up top and some great young prospects, this team is trending downward"

I'm sure the Bolts are the team trending down.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/51025-Trade-deadline-winners-and-losers.html

How much lower can we get? :laugh:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I love how a player on IR isn't getting the job done. Our defense did him no favors the first half of the season and then he and the D step up he puts up good numbers. The offense also dried up when our goaltending played well so we lost close games. We haven't played as a complete team all season.
I also like when people say the Lindback experiment failed and we are starting over.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa

I am still with you on the uniforms. THEY SUCK(it even gets old saying it, but that is the way I feel... Ugly uniforms).

Of course anyone can be a fan of more than one team. It is just frustrating to see people supporting the Bolts until their real favorite team comes to town, and their true colors come out. However, it is understandable that people living here like other teams, because most people living here moved here from elsewhere in the country. For instance, I was born in Washington, moved to Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Belgium, and then here in 1995. It does not make me any less a Bolts fan.

I do not agree with you about Yzerman having an ulterior motive. I do seriously question some of his moves, but I do not think he is trying to screw us. That said, I am not above any logical conspiracy theory

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
You're right about one thing at least. I hope and pray all the Yankee and Red Sox "fans" go back to their respective locations. Tampa Bay would be a much nicer place.

Zing. Probably true, but it almost seems like that is a sentiment one should keep to oneself

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I remember when we all had the same reaction to trading Quincey for a first last year. Nobody is on Yzerman's case about that anymore. Once everyone calms down and actually watches Bishop play the torches will be laid to rest.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Im still fuming over this. Just a pointless, absolutely awful trade. Lindback was already developing well before the injury. We have Janus and Vasi in the pipeline. Why the hell add another mediocre goalie who likely has little upside that Lindy didnt already have. Plus for effing Conacher... I know he wasnt going to be another Louis, but he still was going to be a hell of a player for us. He loved playing with this team, and in this town.

We got hosed... Yaz screwed the pooch big time on this one. We didnt get Bishop last year because he was unproven. Nothing has changed since then. He'll be gone in two years when our awful defense runs him out of town. Now all we have is a kid in Lindback who has to have his confidence completely shot... which is the last thing you want to do to a young guy.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
I've had time to process this... I still don't like it.

I love Ben Bishop (you guys know I love my Mainers) but this situation has been handled piss poorly.

EVEN if you like the trade, you have to admit that this is not the way to successfully manage a team. You simply cannot trade away 4 picks and a possible Calder winner for two of the same style tenders that are unproven. I know someone is going to get technical on me but they have relatively had the same success at the NHL level.

Simply put, I have the same feeling I did about the Downie trade and I still don't like that one.

How much is Bishop expected to resign for?

In millions:
1-2
2-4
4-6
6+

Lol. We are great at getting bargains, so probably around 4.5m.

I hate Stevie Y.

We trade a potential Calder Trophy winner for another goalie who hasn't proven himself yet in the NHL?

I don't get him at all. Is he purposely trying to get himself fired so he can start his job with Detroit?

Not gonna lie, I thought about it.

pTDN3.gif

Seriously the dude left detroit to come here to parlay that into a job with detroit... think about that a minute

That was great.

At the same time, Ottawa has given me a fresh start. They are a team that wanted me really bad. I want to go to a team that really wants me.

This should be a fun decade.

However, Benny P did not go anywhere as a rental, so hopefully we re-sign him!

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
For the record Bishop is RFA. Which means we can qualify him at around 850k or so. He won't be expensive a all to resign.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
:biglaugh: Apparently 14th is not low enough...

The Hockey News picked Ottawa to come in last in the League last year, even when the Sens were doing pretty well half way into the season they kept insisting it was temporary.
Proving the Hockey News wrong, which they usually are, can be fun.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
If nothing else is learned from this. It's a great exercise in what happens to a players value and potential when they are traded from TB to anywhere else. It's amazing how high everyone is on Conacher now when just a day ago he was a flash in the pan and just a product of his line mates etc.

Good stuff.

TBLbrian

Mar 5, 2008
NC
If nothing else is learned from this. It's a great exercise in what happens to a players value and potential when they are traded from TB to anywhere else. It's amazing how high everyone is on Conacher now when just a day ago he was a flash in the pan and just a product of his line mates etc.

Good stuff.

I was just thinking the same thing.

warlord6

Jan 13, 2010
FLA

Problem is this town takes a lot of **** from other fan bases. I also have a serious problem with someone who lives here being a "fan" of whatever **** hole northern town they came from. They go to their 2 games a year and take it the house. You should support your local team. It's fine if you have a favorite team from up north, but how about some local team lovin'? After all, you chose to abandon your northern city. You live here, work here, play here...how about shelling out some greenbacks for your local team?

****ing carpetbaggers

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
I'm on the fence about the move. I'm not entirely convinced Bishop will be a #1 but I think he's better than Garon and has more potential. I think one of Lindback or Bishop will be able to carry the load though. I wish Yzerman didn't have to trade Conacher but you have to give to get. If there's one area this organization is deep at it's young forwards. All the young guys that have come up this year have been pretty good and there's still Connolly, Vlady, JT Brown, Kucherov in the pipeline. He's a pretty good player and will have a nice career but I don't think we lost a big piece of the future today. Hopefully he does well in Ottawa except when playing the Bolts.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

Now I want to know which bits he did!

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Don't like this trade at all for Tampa. Guys like Conachar don't grow on trees and you simply don't trade them away for unproven commodities like Ben Bishop. I hope it works out for you guys though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad