OT: 2013 Redskins Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You couldnt be further from the truth on the Ravens' offensive line. Gradkowski is the lowest rated center in the league, Shipley's a backup at best, Oher is bad, and Yanda is far from his Pro Bowl form. It is, by a distance, their biggest weakness. I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if they have three new starters next season.

:dunno:

I guess watching the Skins' horrendous line all the time makes their's look fantastic by comparison.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I would go pay to see a game if Snyder were to instruct his lawyers to go after Kyle today, announce him as the mole in Ashburn and have him removed from Redskins property. Seize his laptop, that is nothing more than a shuffling of the playbooks of Dad, Kubiak, and Baylor, anyways.

I wonder if Shanahan and Kubiak have a vacation planned around Christmas.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I would go pay to see a game if Snyder were to instruct his lawyers to go after Kyle today, announce him as the mole in Ashburn and have him removed from Redskins property. Seize his laptop, that is nothing more than a shuffling of the playbooks of Dad, Kubiak, and Baylor, anyways.

I wonder if Shanahan and Kubiak have a vacation planned around Christmas.

You know, I really don't get all the Kyle hate. The guy was a very good offensive coordinator in Houston and did a fabulous job last season eking out a successful campaign with an inexperienced and limited QB (before the league caught up). This team moved the ball when Rex was QB, the problem was Rex was good for the killer mistake. This team was 16th in yards per game, 14th in passing yards per game with Rex and freaking John Beck as QB in 2011. That team had no receivers or running backs to speak of outside of an aging Santana Moss.

I really don't think Kyle is the problem, in my opinion it is purely a personnel issue. He designed an offense for, effectively, a project at QB. Whether Griffin one day proves me wrong (I will happily eat that crow for Thanksgiving) or not, doesn't change what he is today. If he wasn't RG3 and was a late first round guy that was expected to take some time to develop, people would be a lot more patient with the offense.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I like the idea of hiring Lovie as coach and AJ Smith as GM, by the way. Smith made a lot of good personnel decisions in San Diego, even if the playoff success didn't show it. It would be kind of funny, though, if Snyder feels a kinship with him because they both fired Schottenheimer, lol.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Briles isn't leaving Texas and I'm not even sure Robert wants him here. Robert has gone to the coaching staff and asked the read option be taken out going back to last year, he wants to run a traditional offense. Briles is the guy who didn't run a pro offense in college. Do the math.
I doubt RGIII would be against running the spread again, assuming they had the necessary talent to run it to begin with. It's not exactly pro style or traditional but what read option elements it has can be limited.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You know, I really don't get all the Kyle hate. The guy was a very good offensive coordinator in Houston and did a fabulous job last season eking out a successful campaign with an inexperienced and limited QB (before the league caught up). This team moved the ball when Rex was QB, the problem was Rex was good for the killer mistake. This team was 16th in yards per game, 14th in passing yards per game with Rex and freaking John Beck as QB in 2011. That team had no receivers or running backs to speak of outside of an aging Santana Moss.

I really don't think Kyle is the problem, in my opinion it is purely a personnel issue. He designed an offense for, effectively, a project at QB. Whether Griffin one day proves me wrong (I will happily eat that crow for Thanksgiving) or not, doesn't change what he is today. If he wasn't RG3 and was a late first round guy that was expected to take some time to develop, people would be a lot more patient with the offense.

My grief with Kyle is similar to my grief with Lavi in Philly. He often seems to have one gameplan, and that's it. If the other team adjusts, watch out. If it doesn't work to begin with, uh oh.

I wouldn't mind seeing what he's like under another coach...there's definitely worse guys out there.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Shanahan said he has a ''good relationship'' with Snyder and spoke with the owner on Monday. The coach didn't go into detail about the conversation other than to say it involved Griffin.

''He asked me about my relationship with Robert,'' Shanahan said. ''And I said I was his coach, his head football coach, and not necessarily his best friend, don't need to be his best friend. I want to make him the best quarterback possible.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/redskins-39-shanahan-might-sit-210837944--nfl.html

Interesting. Are they really just now talking about this? Shanahan is asking us to read between the lines here about his relationship with RG3.

I wonder if Snyder asked Shanahan to bench RG3 to protect him.

Good lord what a fiasco.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The only guy who could conceivably benefit from the recent media leaks is Shanahan.

So...I'm guessing Shanahan is leaking info to look better.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
The only guy who could conceivably benefit from the recent media leaks is Shanahan.

So...I'm guessing Shanahan is leaking info to look better.

wasnt there a story, years ago when he was with denver, on how he has a couple media types that are good buds and they "leak" info from him?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Info leakage aside...

This is a recurring theme with Dan Snyder. Darrell Green, Arrington, Portis and now RGIII.

Pressing for Jeff George to play over Johnson, pushing the McNabb trade etc

I think we need to focus less on Shanahan and FAR more on the real problem here...Dan Snyder.

He fooled us all leading us to believe he had his hand out of the cookie jar.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...12d-11e3-a7b4-4a75ebc432ab_story.html?hpid=z3

Snyder and his close associates were sorting through their options, according to multiple people familiar with the situation, with one of the possibilities being firing Shanahan for cause and attempting to withhold the money due to him for the remainder of his contract.

/facepalm

This is definitely personal. Snyder can afford to just pay that $7 mil to make this go away. It will get ugly and backfire if he forces it.

“We’re 3-10,†Shanahan said. “That’s what happens when you’re 3-10. We can’t talk about the playoffs. We can’t talk about our draft choice. We don’t have a first-round draft choice. We’ve got to talk about something. And normally that occurs after a winning season. I’m sure something like this is happening in different markets across the country when you have those type of expectations.â€

When has a coach EVER talked about the next year's draft pick in week 14?? Shanahan has been around long enough to know that's not what you talk about. He's throwing that in there as a dig at Allen and Snyder, and to my mind confirming the reports that he didn't want to trade up for RG3.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...12d-11e3-a7b4-4a75ebc432ab_story.html?hpid=z3

/facepalm

This is definitely personal. Snyder can afford to just pay that $7 mil to make this go away. It will get ugly and backfire if he forces it.

When has a coach EVER talked about the next year's draft pick in week 14?? Shanahan has been around long enough to know that's not what you talk about. He's throwing that in there as a dig at Allen and Snyder, and to my mind confirming the reports that he didn't want to trade up for RG3.

Dan doesn't seem to realize or care that this will make him look like even more of a petty villian. I personally think he doesn't care.

From his brash stance against the name change to a myraid of stupid things he's done this is just very typical.

What we have to discuss now is who the next coach will be? What respectable coach would want this job knowing how meddlesome and egotistical the owner is?

If its a proven coach we all know that person will just be in it for the paycheck. If its an unproven coach we all know that person will just be a puppet.

Any bets on Cerrato reprising his role as GM?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Dan doesn't seem to realize or care that this will make him look like even more of a petty villian. I personally think he doesn't care.

Does this look like a man who cares what other people think of him?

SnyderDurantShoes.jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

/facepalm

Shanahan is technically Allen's equal...they're both VPs of football ops. Considering he was hired with the understanding that he would have control, he could have easily vetoed it.

This whole thing reeks of Shanahan trying to distance himself from his term here. He's trying to make people think he didn't suck.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Shanahan is technically Allen's equal...they're both VPs of football ops. Considering he was hired with the understanding that he would have control, he could have easily vetoed it.

This whole thing reeks of Shanahan trying to distance himself from his term here. He's trying to make people think he didn't suck.

Maybe there is truth to that but the REAL culprit here is Snyder.

Turner, Marty, Spurrier, Zorn...look how all those situations ended up in disastrous ways. Snyder has a long history of burning bridges with coaches.

I'm having a hard time assigning Shanahan the bulk of the blame here. This is far from the first time we have heard this story.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I was listening to Peter King on PTI yesterday and the first thing that was brought up was the Skins situation.

King is a notorious hater but I was suprised by what he said. He basically said to those (like me) who think that no one would want the skins job at this point is not correct. He feels like we will hire a new coach and a good one at that.

I still am suspicious about the investment this new coach will have in the team. I can't help but think it will strictly be for the $$$.

I guess we'll see.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hey, Mike 'Haynesworth' Shanahan. Enjoy enforced retirement you stiff.

Really hope they don't fire him until the season is over regardless of how bad it gets. He owns it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad