OT: 2013 Redskins Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Griffin's situation? He has an All-Pro running back and a top 10 offense. Despite his poor play missing open WR, taking sacks and making poor reads. His line isn't built for a drop-back passing game, fine. He's missing targets and inaccurate WITH time. Use your eyes. He's also put the defense in terrible spots all year starting Week 1.

The accuracy is way down on all his career numbers through college. He happens to have an injury that affects how he pushes off to throw. I wonder if those things are related? Maybe...just MAYBE...it would be logical to see how he springs back completely healthy instead of acting like the sky is falling before he's finished two NFL seasons? Sophomore slumps happen. A sophomore slump on a team that relies almost entirely on the QB to win games for them (see: last season) is going to make that slump look far more pronounced. This isn't a team capable of covering for RG if he isn't being fantastic. He's not being fantastic, and we've seen what happens. The complete lack of depth anywhere on the roster makes things look worse than they are. Are you going to blame RG for the complete lack of depth, too?

I'm not making excuses for the rest of the team, they are terrible, but RG3 is definitely at the crux of their problems.

As I've said, he's been bad; unlike you though, I seek to find the reasons he's been bad instead of giving up on the guy completely. I try to see how much of the badness is on him, and how much is on other factors he doesn't control.

But the only reason he is at the crux of their problems is because this team relies entirely too much on him to drag them to victory. What with that "complete lack of depth" and "horribly built" thing they have going on. How is that RG3's fault? He's the only reason this team made the playoffs last year. He dragged them there. Expecting him to be the team annually and flipping out when it doesn't work is unreasonable.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The accuracy is way down on all his career numbers through college. He happens to have an injury that affects how he pushes off to throw. I wonder if those things are related? Maybe...just MAYBE...it would be logical to see how he springs back completely healthy instead of acting like the sky is falling before he's finished two NFL seasons? Sophomore slumps happen. A sophomore slump on a team that relies almost entirely on the QB to win games for them (see: last season) is going to make that slump look far more pronounced. This isn't a team capable of covering for RG if he isn't being fantastic. He's not being fantastic, and we've seen what happens. The complete lack of depth anywhere on the roster makes things look worse than they are. Are you going to blame RG for the complete lack of depth, too?

As I've said, he's been bad; unlike you though, I seek to find the reasons he's been bad instead of giving up on the guy completely.

But the only reason he is at the crux of their problems is because this team relies entirely too much on him to drag them to victory. What with that "complete lack of depth" and "horribly built" thing they have going on. How is that RG3's fault? He's the only reason this team made the playoffs last year. He dragged them there. Expecting him to be the team annually and flipping out when it doesn't work is unreasonable.

Griffin didn't drag them to the playoffs. The zone-read and Alfred Morris being #2 in rushing also contributed quite a bit, don't you think? The defense also played a big role against Dallas.

Look, I would LOVE for you to be right. Every time fans start to blame coaching or the surrounding cast on a QB's failure it strikes me as hero worship and is almost 100% proven wrong in short order.

I mean, Christ. People made the same excuses for Beck, Grossman, McNabb, Campbell, Ramsey...please. They sucked and sucked everywhere they went. Watch some good QB play.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Griffin didn't drag them to the playoffs. The zone-read and Alfred Morris being #2 in rushing also contributed quite a bit, don't you think? The defense also played a big role against Dallas.

Look, I would LOVE for you to be right. Every time fans start to blame coaching or the surrounding cast on a QB's failure it strikes me as hero worship and is almost 100% proven wrong in short order.

I mean, Christ. People made the same excuses for Beck, Grossman, McNabb, Campbell, Ramsey...please. They sucked and sucked everywhere they went. Watch some good QB play.

Morris doesn't have that chance to go off against Dallas for the NFCE Title if Robert isn't electric the previous games (sans the Eagles game).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Morris helps, but this is a QB driven league in the end. There's a reason Griffin beat him out for rookie of the year.

I didn't make excuses for any of the slobs you listed, I hated them all. RG3 is clearly a different situation and a different talent...assuming his ego and Snyder's babying doesn't make him go Full Fatty Haynesworth.

You've seen my posts. You've seen that I'm negative on basically every aspect of the team, but I'm not negative for the hell of it. I'm going to give Griffin through next year. This same **** continues, and I'll be all on board the pain train.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Snyder needs to man the **** up and pay Shanny the 7 mil to make him go away. Don't try to screw him out of his money, that's only going to make it harder to find a coach.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Interesting suggestion I heard on the Junkies this morning, hire Norv "QB Guru" Turner again. Of course Snyder would never do it.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Interesting suggestion I heard on the Junkies this morning, hire Norv "QB Guru" Turner again. Of course Snyder would never do it.

The Norv years were some of the worst years as a 'Skins fan. Sorry but as horrible as it has been this year, at least Shanny won a division last year. Norv is an awful head coach.

Edit: Actually I forgot Norv did win the division with us.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
The Norv years were some of the worst years as a 'Skins fan. Sorry but as horrible as it has been this year, at least Shanny won a division last year. Norv is an awful head coach.

He had four winning seasons in seven years, more than any other coach since then can say. It was funny when he got fired with a 7-6 record. Believe it or not Cleveland with their lack of talent and revolving door at QB have the #15 offense.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@Hokie_Wartooth: Shanahan should support changing the name.

Heheheh. What a sideshow.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is why it's great to be a Skins fan. Even losing is interesting.

btw, someone earlier mentioned Flacco having a good o-line? Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Baltimore o-line is terrible, and the sack totals and running stats show it. Oher is the most penalized player in the league the last few years, iirc. Stinko.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is why it's great to be a Skins fan. Even losing is interesting.

btw, someone earlier mentioned Flacco having a good o-line? Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Baltimore o-line is terrible, and the sack totals and running stats show it. Oher is the most penalized player in the league the last few years, iirc. Stinko.

Eh.

Rice is no longer what he once was, which hurts their running totals, and Flacco has no awareness, ability to spot a blitz, or escape ability and a tendency to hold onto the ball forever and ever. Their line is far, far better than Washington's. It's certainly not the best in the league, but it's not exactly bad either. I would take their line over ours every day of the week, even with Oher getting flagged nonstop.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Pretty sure the only player on the Redskins OL I'd take over any other line is Trent Williams. I'd be okay with swapping them with any other starting players. They're not gonna be any worse.

ryan519*

Shanahan likely to be fired, to be replaced by Baylor head coach. does this mean RG3 will be reunited with his former coach? i never liked the shanahan head coach/offensive coordinator duo

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't like that if it happens. With the rumors of Shanny catering to RG, that doesn't look good. Especially if he can't hack it at the pro level.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Eh.

Rice is no longer what he once was, which hurts their running totals, and Flacco has no awareness, ability to spot a blitz, or escape ability and a tendency to hold onto the ball forever and ever. Their line is far, far better than Washington's. It's certainly not the best in the league, but it's not exactly bad either. I would take their line over ours every day of the week, even with Oher getting flagged nonstop.

Rice and Pierce both saw nearly identical drops in stats this year. Flacco has been sacked 41 times which is 2nd worst in the league behind Tannehill, and Flacco has shown he can escape the pocket and actually run pretty well. All of last year he was only sacked 35 times which tied him for 8th worst, not 2nd.

It's true that he's had problems picking up the blitz in the past (and every team blitzes him on 3rd down but he still doesn't seem to notice) but part of that was the playcalling system and scheme which limited his ability to adjust. He's been doing a better job of that this year but the o-line is still ******.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If RG3s college coach is hired there will likely be a player revolt of some kind, imo.

If I'm Cousins and that happens, I have my agent on the phone demanding a trade asap.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
If RG3s college coach is hired there will likely be a player revolt of some kind, imo.

If I'm Cousins and that happens, I have my agent on the phone demanding a trade asap.

Only college coaches I would touch are Kevin Sumlin and David Shaw, and I'm not even sure why.

If they go coordinator, I would want a defensive guy.

I don't want any ex head coaches (they probably wouldn't be foolish enough to do it anyhow).

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Briles isn't leaving Texas and I'm not even sure Robert wants him here. Robert has gone to the coaching staff and asked the read option be taken out going back to last year, he wants to run a traditional offense. Briles is the guy who didn't run a pro offense in college. Do the math.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Eh.

You couldnt be further from the truth on the Ravens' offensive line. Gradkowski is the lowest rated center in the league, Shipley's a backup at best, Oher is bad, and Yanda is far from his Pro Bowl form. It is, by a distance, their biggest weakness. I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if they have three new starters next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad